Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
coyledad46

Default 30 Coupe Repro Door Handle Problem

I'm trying to replace the locking door handle on my coupe. The original handle was removed (after a little tugging and cussing). There was only one bolt holding it in, a round-headed mismatch. The new bolts didn't want to screw in, but a little fiddling got them started. They will go in, but are hard to turn--hope some more fiddling will loosen things up so they work okay.

The main problem is the handle assembly. The shaft fits in the hole, but it only goes in part way. Turning the handle operates the latch okay, but the plate that the mounting screws go through is still at least a quarter inch away from the surface of the door. Seems like the end is hitting on something inside.

I've read a couple of posts that said the shaft on repro handles had to be filed to make things fit right, but I don't know what to file. The shaft of the new handle is longer than the original, but that offset square part that operates the latch doesn't go all the way to the end. What do I do to make the handle fit and operate the latch, too? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
coyledad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
Harpkatt

Default Re: 30 Coupe Repro Door Handle Problem

If possible post some pictures of the handle and the inside bore.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
Tinbasher

You'll need to file down the flats that go through the latch assembly to get a fit. Also a good idea to run a tap down the mounting threads in the door. better than breaking off a bolt. Sometimes yo have to turn the handle 1/8 turn to get it to go in as well. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
Bob from Northport

The solution exactly!!!
Old 03-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #5
40-A Twins

When I restored my 31 coupe back in 1980, the repro door handle shaft was too long so I had to cut off the excess to match the original then hand file the offset square at the end. Another restorer I knew got a repro door handle with a shaft too short, so he had to weld on a piece to get the correct length.
Kevin
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #6
mgambuzza

I replaced my passenger door handle recently. One vendor the handle lock didn't operate at all, and was permanently in the lock position. Return policy was great and got my money back. The second one was far superior quality, and after a few choice words in the installation part, it did go in and function as it should. One item that I did notice - the replacement screws. When I installed them I noticed the handle wouldn't fully turn. I checked them with the original and the bottom screw was much shorter than the replacements. When I looked into the bottom screw hole and operated the handle i noticed the swing of the internals closely past the screw hole. I had to cut the new bolt shorter in order to accommodate the movement in the handle - wasn't sure if this was normal but it now operates.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #7
coyledad46

I'm still stuck on how to get the door handle all the way in. It seems to be hitting on something. If I remove the upholstery panel, will I be able to see what's going on from inside the door? I can't really see much from the outside. Thanks for the helpful input. It's much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Bob C

Like was mentioned in post #3 when you push the handle in as far as it will
go then you need to turn it 1/8 of a turn to get in in the rest of the way. There is another square hole that is offset 1/8 from the first one. The round part of the shaft goes in the second square hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A_702351_B.jpg (26.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg latch.jpg (29.8 KB, 23 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
coyledad46

Thanks for the advice. With your help and a little finagling, I was able to insert the handle flush with the door, but now the handle won't turn, and I can't open the door. I tried the key in both positions, but the handle won't turn no matter which way. (I'm guessing the locked position is when the flat side of the key is at the top.) I cleaned up the threads and the screws turn in nicely--no binding.

When the handle was inserted part way, it operated the latch okay, but after the quarter turn, when it went in all the way, it won't turn at all. What can I do now?
Old 03-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
coyledad46

An update, and a new question--
When the handle wouldn't turn, I couldn't open the door. I backed out the screws and yanked on the handle a couple of times, and then I could turn the handle and open the door. I retightened the screws and the handle turns okay now. BUT. the spring-loaded latch doesn't engage far enough to hold the door closed. It moves freely when I push on it, doesn't seem to bind at all. I think it just doesn't reach as far out as it did before.
Suggestion?
Old 03-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #11
coyledad46

Apparently, the screws provided with the repro door handle were too long and binding against the spring-loaded latch when turned all the way in. Shortening them made it work okay. Thanks to all for your suggestions.