Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
tackle51

Default Brake Adjusting Wedge

After restoring all four brakes with new shoes, same length rods, etc. I can't get rid of the drag in the right rear. I suspect it is the adjusting wedge. To get the brake to lock up according to the method in
Andrews book, I have to tighten the wedge all the way but at that point it suddenly goes loose and I can't get it to hold unless I back it off one or two notches . Does this suggest the threads are stripped? Apparently I never checked it. Can the wedge be replaced without totally dismantling the brake? I also didn't center the shoes as the tool is expensive. Thanks for any help.
tackle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: Brake Adjusting Wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackle51 View Post
...A) does this suggest the threads are stripped? B) Can the wedge be replaced without totally dismantling the brake? C) I also didn't center the shoes . Thanks for any help.
A) Possibly simply the adjusting wedge has gone in so far it's popping off the threads ( though may be a stripped thread on the final section ).
B) Easiest to take it all to pieces again.
C) Not many people do!
In the case of A) it may be that the wedge, adjusting shafts it lodges against and summation of wear in roller pins on shoes are worn down - simply renewing these may resolve problem. Thus it follows that B) will be needed.( sorry!)
A) worst case scenario is the drum is worn / and or has been (over-)skimmed and needs replacing.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
160B

pm sent

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
bunnyc

I have replace a rear brake adjustment wedge and the two adjusting shafts after removing the e-brake band and the long service brake spring. Takes some fiddling around and patience, but possible.
Edit: I may have also loosened the four backing plate nuts. Can't remember for sure.

Last edited by bunnyc; 07-23-2015 at 04:05 PM.
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote