Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
bonanza7369

Default autochoke heat tube

I have a 56 fairlane with a 292 four barrel teapot carb, the previous owner disconnected the heat tube from the carb. does anybody have a diagram of how the choke hooks up to the heat source and what parts are needed.
would appreciate any info on this Thanks
bonanza7369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Alaska Jim

Default Re: autochoke heat tube

I cannot help with a diagram, but it may be easier to convert to an electric choke unless you want every thing to look original.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
scicala

I agree that the electric heated choke thermostat cap is a good option and cheaper than buying missing choke tubes and elbows. Chances are the reason the choke heat tube was disconnected is because the heat tube inside the intake manifold is corroded through and leaking exhaust gas to the choke on the carb. You're choke on the carb may be in bad shape or destroyed because of it. If the choke is stiff or stuck, that is probably the case.
Anyway if you want to there are 3 choke tubes all together. One on the right side that goes from the manifold to the choke housing on the carb, and one on the left side the goes from the intake to a rubber grommet on the front left side of the carb right behind and under the choke plates. There are also two brass elbows that insert into the 3rd heat tube in the manifold that accepts the other tubes I mentioned.
Either of these places should have all 3 tubes and the elbows. These are T-Bird suppliers, but 1956 Ford and T-Bird are the same for these parts: www.classictbird.com or www.tee-bird.com

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
bonanza7369

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
I agree that the electric heated choke thermostat cap is a good option and cheaper than buying missing choke tubes and elbows. Chances are the reason the choke heat tube was disconnected is because the heat tube inside the intake manifold is corroded through and leaking exhaust gas to the choke on the carb. You're choke on the carb may be in bad shape or destroyed because of it. If the choke is stiff or stuck, that is probably the case.
Anyway if you want to there are 3 choke tubes all together. One on the right side that goes from the manifold to the choke housing on the carb, and one on the left side the goes from the intake to a rubber grommet on the front left side of the carb right behind and under the choke plates. There are also two brass elbows that insert into the 3rd heat tube in the manifold that accepts the other tubes I mentioned.
Either of these places should have all 3 tubes and the elbows. These are T-Bird suppliers, but 1956 Ford and T-Bird are the same for these parts: www.classictbird.com or www.tee-bird.com

Sal
Thanks for the info. Where could I purchase an electric choke conversion kit?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
scicala

Here is one on EBAY that I have used on teapot Holley's before. You need to carefully remove the bi-metal spring though, and re-install it upside down so you reverse the direction the spring moves when heated. You also need to make sure you're choke assembly is not gummed up with carbon inside and is moving smoothly. I never could find any caps with the spring working in the correct rotation (counter clockwise). There are also others on EBAY that come with gaskets (same cap).

Sal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HOLLEY-4...FU3QMS&vxp=mtr
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Kahuna

As Sal & others have mentioned, the choke conversion to electric works well. I converted one of mine and it really works great. Very easy conversion
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza7369 View Post
Thanks for the info. Where could I purchase an electric choke conversion kit?
RE: auto parts in general.... don't buy the first one you see on eBay. At least do a full search for that 'item name' filtered by price. Look on Amazon too or any online auto parts website. Your local NAPA/Autozone/Pepboys might have or be able to get them also, and save you the shipping.

That being said.... the one that scicala posted a link to is an excellent brand name, has a really good price & is made in the US, with shipping included.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
paul2748

Do these pics help. It's from my 56 Bird, sedans should be the same. The drivers side is a warm air tube not connected to the choke. The ends connect to the head tube running through the intake.

All the parts should be available - if not the regular parts people then the Tbird parts people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4926.JPG (67.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4927.JPG (60.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4928.JPG (65.4 KB, 31 views)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
bonanza7369

Thanks I think i will go the electric choke route.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
DrinkinGasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza7369 View Post
Thanks I think i will go the electric choke route.
FoMoCo, through the years, has used both heat riser and electric (and a combination of both) chokes. I chose to go the manual/cable route with a kit from the local NAPA store and a better quality Edelbrock cable kit from Amazon. I am very happy with the results. I like to be able to control the choke given the varied climates where I live and it was very cost effective.

In the barn : 47 Indian Chief Roadmaster, 49 DeSoto Custom Sedan, 66 VW Type 1, 84 F150 4wd restomod.
In the driveway : 2000 Windstar, 2006 Taurus.
Vehicles owned :Not enough space here
Favorites : 1955 & 1960 Fords
DrinkinGasoline is offline   Reply With Quote