Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
Chappy

Default Gas Pedal / Throttle Linkage

The other day when I took my car (48 Sedan) for the first good running drive the throttle rod that comes up through the floor disconnected from the the back of the gas pedal. I got under there and looked, and it seems it's just a straight rod that the gas pedal rests on, with a recess of the gas pedal. Is there something missing, possibly something that should snap into the pedal, or springs that hold the pieces together?
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Gas Pedal / Throttle Linkage

Yes. You have something missing. The rod coming up through the floor should have a head on it that pushes into a hole in the back of the pedal to hold it there. You might need a new pedal and maybe the shaft too if it doesn't have the head knob on it. Available here:

Pedal: http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...&sp=Search+%23

Rod: http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...&sp=Search+%23
Old 05-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
39topless

Right on OH. I've found that getting the head of that little rod to fit into the hole in the backside of the pedal, with everything in place, is next to impossible. You will have an easier time if you first remove the short little rod from the throttle linkage. Push the head of the rod into the rubber hole in the pedal and then reinstall the rod on to the throttle linkage. Pizza cake.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
flatheadfan

Chappy-

A note of caution. Many suppliers sell 48-9727 as a replacement for '41-'48. The rod will work, sort of. However, the early rod is too short due to floor material thickness on later models . And, as a result, you do not get the full throttle opening of the carb. In some respects, it can be an unintended governor. Note picture.

Some may have had different experiences but, I have found that if you have a thick insulation pad and/or carpeting in a '35-'40 you may also not get full throttle unless you go with the longer pedal rod to over come the floor thickness.

Granted, attempting to install the rod can be frustrating. What I do is to first attach the rod to the Z-bar arm first. I then use a razor blade and split the rubber boss on the back of the pedal. I then use a vise grip to prevent the rod from be pushed down as I spread the split boss and slip the rod into it. Have done it this way for years and never had a problem with rod coming out or not pushing straight.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1520.JPG (39.0 KB, 14 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Chappy

Thanks guys
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote