Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default Troubles with Vintage Glass

I bought glass from the Vintage Glass.

They advertise ALL the original OEM glass patterns.

I was very clear to list slant window cabriolet. Turns out their book only lists one cabriolet for all of 31 so I got what appears to be door glass for a 68B.

The windshield glass was not cut to a correct size. It was too short in width, leaving what appears to be about 1/16" overlap with the frame. The bottom arch is also too high as per the Ford prints. Plus the corners were square, not cut at a 45 degree angle as required by the Ford print. I also believe it is a basic industry practice to break the corner to make the setting material work better.

I was not too encouraged when they suggested I was wrong and their book was correct or maybe I had the car.

I took my time to make some tracings the best I could and send it in for a second try. Turns out the windshield glass I have, which is replacement glass, has the same dimensions as the Ford prints.

So today I find I am being billed for $50. So I emailed them asking what is going on.

This is the email I got back-

After we re-cut your glass we ended making no money on the whole deal.
Based on the OE books we cut the right glass. $50 cover the shipping. VG

So it is my fault they cut the glass wrong and I should pay for their mistakes. That does not sound like a good business practice.

I get a call from the guy. I ask why I have to pay when they did it wrong. He quickly got indignant with me and started calling me an A hole ranting about how he is losing money on the deal. He went on he that he will be recalling the glass that is currently in transit via UPS. Keep in mind, I at no place in the conversation did I say I was not going to pay the $50. I was just questioning his reasoning at this point, he was the one that told me he was going to recall the glass and then I started asking about getting my money back because I have not received a usable product. Of course, I had no intention of on paying the extra $50 as it is not my fault they messed up. After he told me he was recalling the glass I asked about a refund. He told me if I wanted a refund I would have to come and get it. Of course, he calls from a CA number and the glass ships from FL.

This is my experience and now I am going through the process of contesting the charge. We shall see what happens.

Last edited by Kevin in NJ; 07-27-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added an extra detail
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Troubles with Vintage Glass

Kevin
I`m on your side, if he cut it wrong he should pay for his screw up not you.

Last edited by jw hash; 12-20-2016 at 09:56 PM.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Barry B./ Ma.

The Vintage Glass i know about is in Tolland Ct., never had a problem with his glass. He has been in business a long time.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
28ACoupe

Was it this vendor? http://www.vintageglass.com/
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28ACoupe View Post
Was it this vendor? http://www.vintageglass.com/
Yes that is the vendor.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
dave in australia

Is there a consumer ombudsman in the USA like we have here in Australia. I have had to use the ombudsmen once, and just by presenting your facts, they contact the other party, get there facts and sort it out.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I won't be using them!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
ronn

If you paid with paypal, you will get all of your $ back.
If you used a credit card, likewise.
you will just have to have proof of sending everything back.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Yes, The Dept of Consumer Affairs and they are liable for triple Damages if the findings go your way. Unfortunately. It may require some travel on your part.
I had to go to a neighboring county to file my complaint, even though the work was done in my county. It must be looked into. "I'm losing money on this deal!" is NOT a satisfactory excuse for overcharging someone.
According to the UCC (Uniform Consumer Code) The Product must perform as intended. Clearly, the glass does not! Any help I can give, just write me.
Good Luck Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
Is there a consumer ombudsman in the USA like we have here in Australia. I have had to use the ombudsmen once, and just by presenting your facts, they contact the other party, get there facts and sort it out.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Tiny

Why did you not have a glass shop local to you do the work? I always go local when I can. With flat glass it should be really easy. It keeps the money in your community and if there's a problem you can deal face to face.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Kevin,

Did you try to call & demand to speak only to the "Owner" or "CEO" of Vintage Glass to try to explain your particular situation?

Appears there are lots of self anointed grumpy rude jerks these days playing either Dictator or God in many businesses, professions, Federal, State, & local Governments.

Have many success stories, (as well as those taught to my children), to relate after being totally respectful & diplomatically explaining the situation to "only" the "Owner".

Hope this helps.

Always worth a try.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Kevin,

Did you try to call & demand to speak only to the "Owner" or "CEO" of Vintage Glass to try to explain your particular situation?

Appears there are lots of self anointed grumpy rude jerks these days playing either Dictator or God in many businesses, professions, Federal, State, & local Governments.

Have many success stories, (as well as those taught to my children), to relate after being totally respectful & diplomatically explaining the situation to "only" the "Owner".

Hope this helps.

Always worth a try.
H.L., I looked at the site and it is not instantly clear where they are ally actually located. Also the site gives me the idea they want more like muscle car and truck business, not our crates,
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi ericr.

Crates? Who has crates?

On another note, while getting gas in my 1930 Coupe over 50 years ago, had a tipsy guy approach me at a local Bar/Gas Station whereby he asked if anybody got hurt in that "Wreck".

I asked him, "What wreck?"

He responded with a smile, "the one you're driving!"

I guess calling the vehicles we work on "Crates" is a little more civilize than referring to them as "Wrecks". LOL.

Thanks for the keen observation.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Bob C

The highly skilled Vintage Glass staff of over 25 years in the business is experienced in manufacturing quality glass at competitive prices. We've got it or we'll make it. All glass is processed on a CnC machine and cut to NAG specifications. If you require customized glass then customer supplied patterns can be scanned into the CnC machine - at no additional charge. All glass is then polished and tempered (except windshields which are laminated). Flat glass can be purchased online at a cost reduction.
Please email us at GlassFinders for all curved glass pricing because we have multiple locations and we'll determine which one is nearest to you to keep the freight cost low.
Normal delivery is 2-3 weeks. Dealer discounts are available. We do ship worldwide. Orders can also be delivered to 100 car/truck shows we attend across the USA. To contact our CA office please call 760-672-3540. Thanks

Looks like there in California.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Also, contact the local and their closest Better Business Bureau.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

We have seen this before.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110160
Old 12-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
ballsrodandkustom

Vintage Glass here: All the glass is cut via a Computer on a CnC to OE paper pattern or NAG spec's. If the glass does not fit then there's issues w/ your vehicle --- 99% of the time. Cars that are 50 plus years old may have been in accidents or customized etc. Again the vehicles are 50 60 70 80 years old and 1/16 inch can be anything. Vehicles made before 1934 the glass was all hand cut w/ no exact standardization. So there's easily 1/16 of an inch in play w/ pre-34's. Anyhow ,,, we cut the glass for free and the customer paid ship cost only. If that's not fair --- then you're unreasonable. MGT
ballsrodandkustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
Bob C

Looks like there is a Vintage Glass https://www.vintageglass.com/
and Vintage Glass USA https://www.vintageglassusa.com/

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsrodandkustom View Post
Vintage Glass here: All the glass is cut via a Computer on a CnC to OE paper pattern or NAG spec's. If the glass does not fit then there's issues w/ your vehicle --- 99% of the time. Cars that are 50 plus years old may have been in accidents or customized etc. Again the vehicles are 50 60 70 80 years old and 1/16 inch can be anything. Vehicles made before 1934 the glass was all hand cut w/ no exact standardization. So there's easily 1/16 of an inch in play w/ pre-34's. Anyhow ,,, we cut the glass for free and the customer paid ship cost only. If that's not fair --- then you're unreasonable. MGT
It sounds like you did the right thing. But you are misinformed about glass being hand cut before 1934. That most certainly was not true for the Model A.

You have a poor attitude and poor business communication skills. Most of us avoid dealing with difficult suppliers who don't understand which party is holding the money.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #20
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Looks like there is a Vintage Glass https://www.vintageglass.com/
and Vintage Glass USA https://www.vintageglassusa.com/

Bob
One in FL, one in CT. We seem to be talking about vintageglass.com in Gainesville, FL.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote