Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Ken Henry

Default Loadomatic distributor with PCV?

I added a PCV kit to my 8BA with stock distributor last year and I'm not sure, but I think the engine is developing less power. Would you expect the PCV to interfere with the mixed vacuum signal from the carburetor to the distributor? I know my wipers are pretty much useless now, but they are T-ed off from the PCV. Thanks, Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Loadomatic distributor with PCV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
I added a PCV kit to my 8BA with stock distributor last year and I'm not sure, but I think the engine is developing less power. Would you expect the PCV to interfere with the mixed vacuum signal from the carburetor to the distributor? I know my wipers are pretty much useless now, but they are T-ed off from the PCV. Thanks, Ken
Never made any difference on mine. The vacuum for the dist. is sorced from a different location.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
TomO

If you think that the PCV valve is affecting performance, disconnect it and then try driving it.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Vic Piano

I have basically the same set up as you describe on our '51 F-1 & '53 F-100 and I've had no problems... I did install a vacuum tank for the wipers on the '51 and they work fine. Are you sure you have the right size PCV…? I use one from a late model 4 Cylinder Jeep.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Ken Henry

Thanks for the comments. The PCV valve was whatever came in the kit from Jamco. I accidentally broke that one and installed another spec'd for an engine of similar size - not sure of the exact part number though. Wouldn't a vacuum leak (the PCV) affect vacuum readings at any point in the system? Maybe is should be small enough not to matter. I'll try clamping it off and see what happens. Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
Thanks for the comments. The PCV valve was whatever came in the kit from Jamco. I accidentally broke that one and installed another spec'd for an engine of similar size - not sure of the exact part number though. Wouldn't a vacuum leak (the PCV) affect vacuum readings at any point in the system? Maybe is should be small enough not to matter. I'll try clamping it off and see what happens. Ken
If a vacuum leak affected readings that it would make the engine run poorly, then every time you turned your wipers on ( a vacuum leak) then the engine would run poorly. As stated if you think it's affecting performance dis-connect it.
Another possibility is that the vacuum advance control is defective.
Available from NAPA pn VC915 for around $26

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote