Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
callcoy

Default SEMA Show 2012

Thought the Barners who didn't attend the SEMA Show this year would be interested to learn that a all stock appearing 31 RPU was front and center in the Ford booth. John LaVoy of Model A Times Magazine and VP of the Model A Foundation, had completed the build up just prior to the show opening. The goal was to reproduce a Model A using as many aftermarket parts as possible, with the exception of the front end, engine, frame and in this case wheels, which were all original.

The RPU was very well accepted by the crowd and had many people around it posing and taking pictures, this in a place where the wildest, over the top car creations abounded. Every time I came back to it people were around looking and using their cameras.

I am also a board member of MAFFI and was working on finding partners to support your new Model A Museum along with introducing a few selected manufacturers to the possibility of making parts for the Model A. Your new museum has operating expences that have to be met and partnering or gaining sponsors is a way to meet that need. I was able to make contact with several major corporations that supply products and supplies to the entire auto interest group and the responce from them was very good.

New suppliers to our Model A hobby has been lacking for our needed parts and componets, with many of the items made offshore. I selected two products to persue, ring and pinions along with a stock Model A appearing generator that houses an alternator. I provided these US manufacturers with our hobby demographics, facts and figures with the understanding that if they succeed, remember to support the Museum. We may come out of this with everything we wanted, in one case the chief of development was the individual that I met with.

Please remember to support your museum, buy a brick, join MAFFI and if possible make a donation. If you have any questions you can contact me by email, please, I am not on here very often.

Steve Ribeau

Steve

Last edited by callcoy; 11-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.
callcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
29ModelA

Default Re: SEMA Show 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Wow, well to each his own, but for me, that would represent an unbearable waste of time and effort to build a "Model A" out of as much reproduction parts as possible. What's the point?
To show what is available? It is pretty damn difficult to find some original parts unless your friends with an "A" parts hoarder. It has taken me 2 years to find an original set of hood shelves and radiator splash apron to replace my repo ones, and I still have not found a visor.

SEMA is a place where the aftermarket exhibits what is available for cars and customs.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
29ModelA

Quote:
I guess from my perspective, it is much easier to find good original parts to use compared to good reproductions for many items.

Whenever I look at a repro catalog, I am amazed at some of the things they choose to make, and the prices they ask for them. Good originals are readily available, and sell for less than crappy repros in most cases.
Man if they are that readily available, then do you have a lead on a visor for a 29? I could really use one.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
callcoy

Quote:
Wow, well to each his own, but for me, that would represent an unbearable waste of time and effort to build a "Model A" out of as much reproduction parts as possible. What's the point?
I couldn't agree more to a point, in this case the 31 RPU assembly shows the interest by manufacturers in supplying our hobby with parts that are being sold. This display could result in additional participation in the production of additional perhaps hard to find componets. While not everyone in the hobby has access to original pieces to start with, some have time restraints and etc.

Another way to look at the new part availability is that the access to new componets does in a way keep the original parts in the loop for the those that want and need them. I am, with my project kind of in the middle, I have been trying to use original parts as I want it to look original but I have to weigh the cost factor, sometimes a new part costs less than a reconditioned part.

The 31 RPU display may be the first stock Model A on display at the SEMA show lets celebrate it's appearance and lets hope that Ford Motor Co. is impressed with the public response and ask for another car to display next year.