Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Are these EAB heads OK?

Make sure you consider the gaskets that you plan on using. Folks get creative with gasket thickness when using copper.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #22
my2nd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
Ol Ron is right ,,,,these can be made to work just fine .
Angle mill .
Besides,,,,,,,they haven’t been touched at all yet,,,,,,other than the blasting and cleaning.
And if the next set is perfect,,,,,,you still have to do the mill and machine work .
But,,,,,you are the man building the engine,,,,,if you don’t feel good with them,,,,,,start with a better set .
Tommy
Bringing this post back up to get some more information. I have an EAB in similar condition and never thought about using until I read this. What is angle milling exactly and who could do this work?
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #23
rotorwrench

That would be corrective for a set that is milled a little too close to the valves and in need of a little more dome area added back. Most machine shops carry enough equipment to do stuff like that if needed. It may not be needed depending on the piston clearance and cam shaft that a person wants to use. A lot depends on the condition of the heads too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #24
19Fordy

Ken, Can you please post more photos of your flathead engine showing your ignition system? What type of ignition system are you using? Looks unique. Thanks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #25
mfirth

On the head subject, I had an 8ba with 8cm cam & 8cm heads. It also had domed pistons. It needed rebuilt so I put Offy heads, flat top pistons & an IskyMax 1 in it. Performance wise, it ran better with the 8cm heads & domed pistons. Would the domed tops make up for the lower compression 8cm heads ??? Just say'n ....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #26
Ol' Ron

With the price of aftermarket heads running close to our national budget, you might consider al the modifications we "Stock" car guys did to improve the these engines. Ahgle the heads as much as you can the EAB heads are liminated to the area of the thermostat housing thickness, Byt the 59 heads can go much further, Starting with a good set you can use little balls of aluminum to measure the piston clearance of=ver the pistons and valves. Looking for about 40/50 thou over the pistons and .050 over the valves at max lift. angle mill the heads they hit thhe valves, the using a larg diameter shell mill clearance a little materila from the valve area at a 4 deg anngle. Now use a dremmet to make sure nothing hits without a head gasket. This work isdonwit some machine shop and milling machine work and would probably cost several hunderd dollars. Using a Max!1 cam and 59 heads this will give around 65 cc or a good poing in CR, boring to 3 5/16 another point in cr. The stock 6.8 CR engines usually measure around 8:1 because very few engines have much over 6:1 from the factory. Another thing you can do Is use a merc intake, bored to except a 2GC carb and one of Charlies distributors. Now you'll have an inexpensive engine that will last forever, have lots of power and great economy,
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #27
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
Rodrelic, those are indeed the desirable high compression 52-53 Ford head. I already found a replacement EAB for the worse, left side head and am hoping to salvage the right one. Thanks though!! Ken
I’ve got a couple oddball rights if you end up needing one .......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #28
Ken Henry

Regarding the heads, that engine is not yet assembled yet but I ended up using the right side head from the pair pictured above. My machine shop took off 0.015-0.020 (not angle milled) to clean up the gasket surface which brought the combustion chambers into the 67-70cc range. I plan to get them all in the 69-70cc range for this 276ci motor. I'm not sure if these heads had been cut before, but even with this light cut I had less than 0.040" clearance over the pistons and hand to do some grinding. See here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302368

The ignition system is part of my home-built EFI system using Megasquirt. It uses a trigger wheel which I brazed to the crank pulley and an EDIS ignition module from a 90s V8 Ford. The coil packs are GM which have the advantage of using a more standard ignition wire boot. I put a bunch of miles on everything this summer and am really happy with it!

A772FC73-578C-4782-9812-EC4AD0352756 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

Last edited by Ken Henry; 11-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #29
Ken Henry

Thanks Mark, appreciate it. I'm all set and have amassed quite a collection of EAB heads at this point!
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #30
tubman

In my experience, combustion chamber volume is not important, What you need is proper "squish" (.040"-.050") and the compression ratio will follow. After years of just bolting on a set of "High compression" heads and being disappointed I have found that getting the quench right is the best thing you can do with a flathead Ford.

I also do not understand the advantage on "Angle Milling", but I'm sure someone will come on here to explain it to me.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #31
Bored&Stroked

The "advantage" of angle milling is that you're taking away more material on the cylinder bore side of the head - than the valve side. It is one way to help "tune the cat".

Given that I rework my chambers (via CNC milling), valve clearances, piston compression height, etc. - it does not come into play for me. I get the clearances I want, the CR I want, etc - by the work (and parts) in my builds. BUT - I'm putting a lot of time and $$$ to do so.

Ole' Ron has some good suggestions for tightening up the chambers and leaving a bit more over the valves - by angle milling.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #32
Ol' Ron

Sometimes you just want to rebuild your engine for a Dailey driver. Something with some reasonable power and economy without reducing your retirement funds. The 239 engine in stock form in perfect running condition produces "LESS THAN" 80 horsepower. Adding heads intakes and exhaust to it will not increase the power to 100HP and cost a bundle. Buy building a 258 HI compression stock cam engine you can have a nice runnning engine with more than 100 hP and economy and longevity as well.
Gramps
Never thought I'd ever be running a stock cam, but the low and midrange torque in=s incredible, Running a 87F15 3spd with OD 3.73 rear with posy. The truck will climb any hill in Vermont in OD
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote