Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #21
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 9.5" clutch alternatives

I don't think the 9.5 will work with the 1 3/8 input shaft, unless the fingers are changed????
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #22
Ken Henry

I just got off the phone with Fort Wayne clutch. They're going to send out a 10" diaphragm-style pressure plate and clutch disc that are supposed to work with the 51 Ford (small) throw out bearing and 1" 10 spline input shaft of the 51 Ford transmission. The pressure plate has the 10" Long pattern (3 1/8" between closely-spaced blots; 7 7/8" between others), which will require drilling my flywheel since, like most 8ba flywheels, it is set up for the 9.5" clutch (3" between close bolts; 7.5" between others). Will post back when the parts arrive... Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #23
Trojan

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a little new at this, but what is a long style pressure plate in comparison to a standard pressure plate ?
Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #24
Ken Henry

Well, I guess it depends on what you think of as a standard pressure plate. For the long style clutch, the throwout bearing pushes against three long fingers to release the clutch and the six bolts that attach the pressure plate to the flywheel are in three closely spaced groups of two. Borg and Beck also has three fingers but evenly spaced bolts to the flywheel, and modern diaphragm pressure plated have a bunch of fingers. Hope that helps! Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #25
rotorwrench

The Borg-Warner Long design clutch has counter weights that are affected by centrifugal force. As the clutch spins faster under full engagement, the centrifugal force applies more pressure to the plate which eliminates the need for stronger springs that would cause a higher pedal pressure to disengage. This design created a need for the pressure plate bolt pattern that is a characteristic of the type.

George Borg, of Borg & Beck, was a pioneer in the single plate clutch technology in the early days of the automobile. When Borg & Beck and other companies merged with Warner Gear in 1928, it became the a premiere source for all sorts of clutch products. At the insistence of Roy Ingersoll, the Long Manufacturing Company of Detroit was also brought into the fold with its clutch designs. This mated the Long type pressure plate with the Borg & Beck type clutch disc designs all under one name.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote