Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2020, 03:25 AM   #41
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Speedway’s Valve Train Components

And remember, these results come at RPM nearly double what the average Flathead sees.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #42
Ol' Ron

I wonder how piston to cylinder wall clearance has an effect here?It's easy to find out what's to little, but what's too much. AS an old stock car engine builder I varied this in an effert to find out. But running on a short track the engine is not the winning partof the equasion. Sometimes it's the air pressure in the right fron tire.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #43
TomT/Williamsburg

Thank you again gents for all your thoughts and the impromptu bench racing session ....

Called Red’s and spoke with Victor. What I liked is that they are familiar with the French blocks, actually sold them for a time. What I bought is ....

Stock valve train kit with Lincoln springs
Ross 3-ring pistons @.125 over and metric rings

I have:
4” crank
L100 cam
Original hollow and modern solid Johnson lifters - probably the solids
8ba rods

This will be for my roadster to drive long distances, not raced saved for a few possible runs at the dirt drags out in Colorado and others perhaps. I like the look of a stock looking 59ab motor so the plan is to run a 59ab L100 cam, front mount distributor w/Pertronix upgrade by Charlie NY (don’t worry Charlie - the 8ba distributor will go on the 8ba I will be building!), and I have an original set of 59ab heads that have never been on an engine, shaving them 50 thou if there is the room. I will run a 59ab intake with 2 deuces set progressively on a “Y” adapter just like my present motor.

I know this may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I am using what I have and also planning for two others, another 59ab and the 8ba I spoke of. I am just having fun in the garage building the wife’s 40 Pickup and then several flattie to install in my roadster as a text mule ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #44
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Thank you again gents for all your thoughts and the impromptu bench racing session ....

Called Red’s and spoke with Victor. What I liked is that they are familiar with the French blocks, actually sold them for a time. What I bought is ....

Stock valve train kit with Lincoln springs
Ross 3-ring pistons @.125 over and metric rings

I have:
4” crank
L100 cam
Original hollow and modern solid Johnson lifters - probably the solids
8ba rods

This will be for my roadster to drive long distances, not raced saved for a few possible runs at the dirt drags out in Colorado and others perhaps. I like the look of a stock looking 59ab motor so the plan is to run a 59ab L100 cam, front mount distributor w/Pertronix upgrade by Charlie NY (don’t worry Charlie - the 8ba distributor will go on the 8ba I will be building!), and I have an original set of 59ab heads that have never been on an engine, shaving them 50 thou if there is the room. I will run a 59ab intake with 2 deuces set progressively on a “Y” adapter just like my present motor.

I know this may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I am using what I have and also planning for two others, another 59ab and the 8ba I spoke of. I am just having fun in the garage building the wife’s 40 Pickup and then several flattie to install in my roadster as a text mule ....
Nice. Can't wait to hear it run. Good luck with the build.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #45
TomT/Williamsburg

Thanks, Tim!
Old 06-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #46
Ol' Ron

I might suggest that you measure the piston to head clearance before you mill them. Also the L-100 cam has a very high lift so the valve to head clearance will be an issue. Not sure what heads you are using but with the l_100 cam you need all the compression you can get, to improve low speed drivability. To iincrease valve to head clearance, it should be done with a 4 or 5 degree angle to prevent the removal of too much material frm the chamber. Modifying a cylinder head can improve performance when done right.
When using the 65Cc Edelbrock heads , they have a substanel amt of valve clearance. I mill these for .050" valve clearance , then re-dome them. Boosting Cr to aprox 9:1.
You must have a reason to make a modification.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #47
Pete Fl/Wi

Tim I just had to post I am building my "last" flathead as a spare engine for either my AV8 or 38 coupe. I got a merc engine by luck from local junk yard $250.00 . Lucky the machine shop building short block said every thing checked good. Engine is .40 over now but have not made decision as to what bore to go too. I all ready got from Reds valve train kit and L100 cam which I have experience with in my AV8. My build so far is same as yours. I plan to use Edelbrock heads not sure which ones and Edelbrock 4 barrel intake. In the past I have always used Offy heads and intakes but wanted to try Edelbrock.
Good luck on your build
Pete
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #48
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I wonder how piston to cylinder wall clearance has an effect here?It's easy to find out what's to little, but what's too much. AS an old stock car engine builder I varied this in an effert to find out. But running on a short track the engine is not the winning partof the equasion. Sometimes it's the air pressure in the right fron tire.
Hi Ron, piston/wall is extremely important both for performance and reliability, better ring sell, hence, less "blowby"!

You don't want pistons "rocking" too much, it will affect how the rings are able do their job!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S . Just as important as the P/W clearances are the valve-to-guide clearances, with all the monies invested in builds like seen here I would never think of NOT using some bronze-lined guides with a good set of stainless-steel valves? You get a better valve/seat contact and NEVER seize any valves in the guides, period?
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #49
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
I might suggest that you measure the piston to head clearance before you mill them. Also the L-100 cam has a very high lift so the valve to head clearance will be an issue. Not sure what heads you are using but with the l_100 cam you need all the compression you can get, to improve low speed drivability. To iincrease valve to head clearance, it should be done with a 4 or 5 degree angle to prevent the removal of too much material frm the chamber. Modifying a cylinder head can improve performance when done right.
When using the 65Cc Edelbrock heads , they have a substanel amt of valve clearance. I mill these for .050" valve clearance , then re-dome them. Boosting Cr to aprox 9:1.
You must have a reason to make a modification.
Hey Ron - heads will be a brand new set of 59ab heads that have never been mounted. I like the older flattie look more than the 8BA’s in early cars as this is going in my roadster. I am also a 59ab cam and front mount distributor to complete the look. I do plan to measure for clearance and thanks for the heads up on the valve clearance. The French blocks are factory relieved so whatever I can mill them heads, I will do it. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #50
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fl/Wi View Post
Tim I just had to post I am building my "last" flathead as a spare engine for either my AV8 or 38 coupe. I got a merc engine by luck from local junk yard $250.00 . Lucky the machine shop building short block said every thing checked good. Engine is .40 over now but have not made decision as to what bore to go too. I all ready got from Reds valve train kit and L100 cam which I have experience with in my AV8. My build so far is same as yours. I plan to use Edelbrock heads not sure which ones and Edelbrock 4 barrel intake. In the past I have always used Offy heads and intakes but wanted to try Edelbrock.
Good luck on your build
Pete
Thanks Pete - I may pick your brain a little bit if you don’t mind. I may have a few questions later on down the road with the build ...

Tom
Old 06-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #51
Ol' Ron

Alot of these modifications are logical, but require accurate neasuring, Althugh we want the most power we can get, A street machine needs to be drivable in local streets and be comfortable dong it. When using a long duration cam the dynamic CR is quite low at low speed > I think I checked the L-100 at alittle over 6:1 with a static CR of 8.6
Old 06-12-2020, 03:40 AM   #52
KiWinUS

Quote:
Alot of these modifications are logical, but require accurate neasuring, Althugh we want the most power we can get, A street machine needs to be drivable in local streets and be comfortable dong it. When using a long duration cam the dynamic CR is quite low at low speed > I think I checked the L-100 at alittle over 6:1 with a static CR of 8.6
It sure ran good you told us in that ambulance Ron.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #53
Ol' Ron

My love affair with the L-100 was based on the fact that it actually ran that heavt Ambulance quite well, That was in the late 80's and the sound was just right. The vast number of engines I built back then had the L-100 cam. Back then I was a performance minded builder. It didn't take long to find out the pitfalls of the cam. It doesn't work well in small low compression engines. But Richard of FL also proved in the right engine it could also give goor fuel economy . up to that time I wasn't using the vacuum advance on my SBC distributors. I sold a 296ci engine to a fellow with on of these distributors, he sent it to texas where it was converted to electronics and a vacuum advance. Engine was in a 35 PU and the acceleration was scary, engine was still running when he replaced it with a blown 294. Haven't had a ride in that one yet. I was converting these distributors since the 70's but nobody was interested in flatheads then, I even converted one for a 59 block, there is a picture of it in my bood. It might work today because MSD makes a crab cap for the SBC dist. Have to dig that out and see if it works. You have to use a Pontiac dist for that conversion.. I digress, getting old, still putzin.
Gramps