Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
RandyMettler

Default Oilfilter loation/low oil pressure?

I have reviewed the past threads and could not find the information I need to fix my low oil pressure problem after warmup on my 8BA flathead.

My setup, as shown in the pictures, draws oil from the T at the oil sending unit and runs down to the remote screw on oil filter. From there, it exits the filter and runs to the block just above the oil pan.
Is this setup an effective aftermarket solution to the factory filter or a bad design that causes low oil pressure? The only similar setup I could find ran the return tube into the side of the oil pan, which seems more logical to me.

That setup also indicated that the oil pump must be modified to work. .http://myplace.frontier.com/~wgmumaw...ilterBills.htm

In addition, I did the mechanical oil pressure gauge test to verify my dash readings.

My oil pressure gauge reads 40 pound at startup which eventually drops to only a few pound once warm when driving. I am also getting smoke/vapors exiting the rear oil fill cap once warm.

If the low pressure is due to a bad oil pump, can the pump be changed by simply dropping the pan and swapping or does the engine need to be pulled and disassembled?

Regards,
Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7822.jpg (66.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7825.jpg (61.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7816.jpg (27.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7827.jpg (32.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by RandyMettler; 04-23-2019 at 04:58 PM.
RandyMettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
V8 Bob

Default Re: Oilfilter loation/low oil pressure?

The stock flathead uses a low-flow by-pass filter with a .060" restriction at the inlet, not a common full-flow filter. If you can find a spin-on by-pass filter and add the restriction, you'll have good oil pressure. Probably easier just to replace your remote adapter with a stock 8BA filter housing, restriction and filter.

The systems with a full flow filter either use a modified pump that delivers all oil out of the pan, into the filter, then back into the rear of the block through one of the stock ports (FULL FLOW) or
Oil comes out of one of the stock ports, into the filter, then back into the block through a new drilled port, separated from the other two with a grub screw, and this is referred to as the 95% system.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 04-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What you have looks like a by-pass filter setup, but it would require a restrictor. Without it you are allowing a large percentage of the oil coming out of the pump to be dumped straight back into the oil pan! A stock type system uses a .060 restrictor to prevent this. These same type of restrictores are used for turbos and can be used.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
RandyMettler

I am trying to understand the oil filter system. The fitting junction at the top rear driver-side of the motor is there to distribute oil from the oil pump. One goes to the oil sending unit while one goes to the filter. Is it really a three way junction, where a third passage goes to the motor? When you have a tee their without the line going to the remote bypass filter restricted, half or more of the oil is returned to the pan. This would filter the oil, but at the same time starve the motor of oil. Is it as simple as installing a re-stricter at the backtop of the motor in the line going down to the filter?

Last edited by RandyMettler; 04-23-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMettler View Post
I am trying to understand the oil filter system. The fittings at the top rear of the motor are there to distribute oil from the oil pump. When you have a tee their without the line going to the remote bypass filter restricted, half or more of the oil is returned to the pan. This filters the oil, but starves the motor of oil. Is it as simple as installing a re-stricter at the backtop of the motor?
Yes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filtr1.jpg (45.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 11632a-1-.jpg (29.0 KB, 20 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
ford38v8

As yours is not a stock system, and there are any number of different possible routes for both bypass and full flow systems, DO NOT restrict that line without knowing for sure that you have a bypass filter system.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 AM   #7
51 MERC-CT

If this is still a by-pass system, this is the way it should be configured.
Not having a restrictor in the line from the oil feed to the filter will indeed cause a pressure loss.

A NAPA # WH1512 fitting can be used for that restrictor.

Also what is the green line (?) used for ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil fil2t.jpg (20.5 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
flatford8

Does the green line go to his gauge?....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Does the green line go to his gauge?....Mark
Good guess and that's why the question was asked.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
RandyMettler

Yes the green line goes up to my electronic oil sending unit and terminates. The red line the diagram provided goes down to the remote spin-on filter. From the filter it runs into the engine block just above the oil pan. I dropped the circular clean-out and verified that no modification have been made to it to build a full flow oil system. I verified that thanks to Ford38V8s helpful advice. No need to blow up a motor from ignorance. I am going to verify that no re-strictors have been added anywhere and if not I will add a .060. I have drained the oil so when I restart after topping up the oil, will the oil pressure read zero for a minute or two since it has had time to drip dry?

Please let me know if my conclusion on the stock unmodified oil pump is a correct indication of a bypass system that has been relocated, so to speak. This is the website I based my conclusion on. It seems to be a good site if you wish to convert your flathead to full flow system.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~wgmumaw...ilterBills.htm

Regards
Old 04-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
ford38v8

Randy, Only you can verify that your system is bypass. Your examination of the pump itself and comparison to the pumps on the website you posted only verifies that that particular method of full flow is not present in your system. From your pictures, I'd suggest two more inspections: The line entering the block above the pan, if it terminates and dumps into the oil pan, that would confirm a bypass. If that inspection proves inconclusive, the line at the rear of the block with the T can also be inspected: Remove the fitting and discover if there is a grub screw plug deep within the horizontal line exiting the block, which would indicate a full flow system.

On the question of zero oil pressure for a horrendously long minute or two following a fresh oil change startup, this does happen to some extent in many systems, mainly as a result of the pump having lost its prime. I have over the years, developed my own way of dealing with this in all my vehicles, that being a short crank without starting, waiting 30 seconds, then starting the engine. This method has proven to my satisfaction to ensure that the pump will have prime following every oil change.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
RandyMettler

Thanks ford38v8 for your input and all the others who posted in this thread.
I will post my results when I get the car fired up.

Regards.