Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Chappy

Default Waterpumps

Sorry if I offend anyone with what is probably a beaten subject. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I've done a search on here and read most of the threads on buying waterpumps or having them rebuilt, however most of those threads were from 2010. So here's my situation, I have a 48 sedan with a 59A, the car has been sitting since around 2004. It has had a so so restoration done probably 20+ years ago by evidence of the Sears Allstate WWW Bias plys which they stopped producing in the early 1990's. I'm just looking for reliability, this won't be a show car, more of a daily driver in the summer.
The stuff I've read on the internet (which must be true) is the problem with the original pumps was the bearing was just a brass sleeve which either wore away and leaked, seized etc, and you had to keep the belt tension loose, not to stress the sleeve. Which brings me to the concern of having them rebuilt.I read how most guys recommended having the pumps rebuilt, I looked over Skips website which hasn't been updated since 2002, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but he makes no mention of roller bearings like in the Drake and Speedway pumps. So 4 years later are your recommendations still the same. Are the aftermarket pumps all coming from the same place in India, just different companies pricing them out? thanks
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: Waterpumps

I have a pair of Drakes. Bearings, big impellers ,been in my car for a year, runs cooler, reasonable price. Plenty of people "bag" ol' Bob but i'm very happy with his pumps.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
super flat

Skips pumps will be my choice when I get to that part of the rebuild. Gary
Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
4tford

Do it right the first time and get them rebuilt by Skip. You will not be sorry.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
47Merc

Buy the Drake pumps
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
.....Which brings me to the concern of having them rebuilt.I read how most guys recommended having the pumps rebuilt, I looked over Skips website which hasn't been updated since 2002, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but he makes no mention of roller bearings........
If you do some research, you'll find the reason Ford used bushings instead of roller bearings on the '38-'48 pumps, as does Skip. It has to do with the distance between the bushing and possible water. Just make sure the oil holes are clear behind the pumps on your 59 block.
I would use Skip Haney's rebuilds, BTMO.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Ken Bull

I used Skip for my Water Pumps and Coil--been on road since Sept 2011,working good!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

I prefer to have original water pump cores, with cast in Ford part numbers, rebuilt by Skip Haney. He does an outstanding job on these rebuilds and guarantees his work. I have had three sets of '35 and three sets of '37 - '48 pumps done by Skip. Never had a problem with any of these water pumps. Also use his rewound coils on all my old Fords.

Forgot to mention that I have about 25,000 trouble free miles on a set of Skips pumps in my avatar '35 fordor sedan. Between his pumps and overflow check valve I can drive this car anywhere at any posted speeds without overheating. I am also using high flow thermostats with these pumps.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-24-2014 at 07:14 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
quickchange34

I build quite a few motors using the drake pumps and the speedway pumps and they have always worked for me . They also work real well on the motors with blowers They keep the engine cool. If you don't need a ford part number on the pump for show used those pumps. That way you get a new housing and pulleys.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
49r

My 8BA Speedway pumps have been on 4 years and work great.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
Old Henry

You should be aware that Skip does not recommend using thermostats with his pumps. The impeller of his rebuilds is what is known as a "mixed-flow" design that is made to move more water only if there is less resistance to flow. Thus, his impeller only increases volume when the restriction of the thermostat is removed. Running an engine without thermostats is not a good idea as the engine does not warm up to optimum operating temperature fast enough if at all. Thus, the Drake, Speedway, C&G, Mac's pump with the centrifugal impeller is a better all around all season impeller that works better with thermostats in all ambient temperatures. As has been stated, they have the ball bearings that last longer than the bushings too. I have had C&G pumps in for years without any problem.

Here's the full discussion you may have missed on this subject: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...light=skip%27s
Old 12-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
flat 39

I had a Speedway pump start to leak after 7 years / 16000 miles.
flat 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
TJ

I've used the pumps from Daryl Fryer who advertises in the V-8 Times. They are excellent quality.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
glennsanders

My vote Skip (American rebuilt)
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
estout81
BANNED

I used Dennis Carpenter water pumps on my '48 F-1. No problems an I drive this truck about 3000 miles a year. Quality was very good. They said that they made their own pumps.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Kube

I used to rebuild my pumps but time (the lack thereof) has caused me to send numerous pairs to George Haney (aka: Skip).
He is a first class gentleman and does first class workmanship.

I have never noted a temperature difference in any of my restorations. However, these cars are properly restored and as such do not require any "magic bullet" to compensate for other issues.
Bottom line: George gets my vote.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
42guy

I have had the Speedway pumps since they first came out. I would have had Skip do a pair except I didn't have 2 good cores to send him. The water outlets were half eaten away. I have not had any problems with Speedway pumps.
I do have Skip do my coils and dist.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote