Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
geoford41

Default 1939 ford deluxe interior door garnish molding removal

What is the proper/correct method of removing the interior garnish moldings for a 1939 ford deluxe door interior moldings? I believe these have clips to hold them onto the door frame but need a guide on how to remove them without damage to the molding itself.
geoford41
geoford41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
COE Dan

Default Re: 1939 ford deluxe interior door garnish molding removal

I'm not sure if you're talking about the window trim (the wood-grained metal frame) or the upholstery panel.

The metal wood-grained window trim is held in by screws. I don't recall having any issues removing it on my '39 DeLuxe. I can't recall if there are any spring-loaded clips that hold it in or not. I'll have to look at mine again.

The door upholstery is held in by those L-shaped, 2-prong, spring-loaded clips (I can't describe them better than that). They are spread around the perimeter of the panel at intervals of 6-10 inches. The best way to remove the door panel is:

1) Remove window crank and door latch handle
2) You may need to remove the wood-grain metal trim.
3) There is a special fork-shaped tool that you use to pop the clips out of the door. Several places sell them. I used a plastic trim tool from Eastwood. I've seen metal ones that have a screwdriver-type handle. These allow you to get underneath the panel and lift up on the clip evenly in close proximity to the clip. This minimizes flexing the panel and tearing the clip out of the panel.

That should be it.

On installation, make sure the spring-loaded end works correctly. If they are bent or the 2-prongs cross over each other, they may not squeeze together and go in the hole. Then you risk damage to the panel if you try to force it.

I took off my driver's door panel about 2 years ago and didn't have any serious problems. Despite my best efforts, I still didn't break anything.

PM me if you think I can help you more.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Default Re: 1939 ford deluxe interior door garnish molding removal

Early 39's have no screws - only the clips.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote