Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2024, 11:24 PM   #1
rjlester

Default 54 Meteor (Ford) rear axle seals.

Hey guys,

Have to replace the axle seals on my 1954 Meteor, a Canadian Ford. I got one of the axles out, man was it stuck in there. Anyway, I changed the rear seals two years ago in my other Meteor, but can't find my records of which axle seal part number I bought at that time.

Found a forum post here saying National 6939 is a new (non-leather) axle seal, but online shows them discontinued. Cannot find specs on the size of the seal either. My local guys can likely match up another brand if I can find the specs.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:30 PM   #2
rjlester

Default Re: 54 Meteor (Ford) rear axle seals.

****** EDIT: Fixed original incorrect seal number ******

Here is the correct seal for the 54 Ford/Meteor rear axle:

SKF 13865

Specs are:

1.375" Shaft
2.502" Outside Diameter
0.313" Width

Installation went as expected and they fit just fine.

Last edited by rjlester; 03-20-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:23 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: 54 Meteor (Ford) rear axle seals.

There will be ID NOS. on the take-out seal. You can use those to either replace or cross-reference.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #4
evintho

I replaced a leaking axle seal in my '54 Customline yesterday. Stock rearend. I used SKF 13865 bought at NAPA auto parts. Just be aware, SKF is the bottom of the barrel in quality but, it works. The metal case is only on one side (the axle side is open). Tap it in carefully. You don't want to bend it. Or, spend a few bucks more and get a National or other quality brand with a closed metal case on both sides. Use the SKF part # to cross reference at the parts store.
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:08 PM   #5
Gene F

How are you taking (getting the axle out) the axle out?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:32 PM   #6
rjlester

Ok, yes you're right, the SKF 13865 is the correct seal. I will exchange the two wrong ones tomorrow. They are clearly too small. My micrometer does not really fit in there so I couldn't get an accurate reading.

So if I remember it right, I installed these seals on my other Meteor two years ago, I installed the spring side of the seal towards the inside.

I know what you mean about them being cheaper, but mine have gone 8000 miles so far, and no issues. Knock on wood!
Old 03-19-2024, 11:15 PM   #7
rjlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
How are you taking (getting the axle out) the axle out?
I had a heck of a time getting the axle out. I do not have a slide hammer (yet) but I used a big sledgehammer and an axle puller with a chain around it. I cannot believe how many times, and how hard I was banging on that chain until it came loose.

As for removing the seal, I had to chisel it into the axle tube and remove it in pieces. There was only "Ford" and a letter S on the backside for ID numbers.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:44 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
... spend a few bucks more and get a National or other quality brand with a closed metal case on both sides...
Good Advice!
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:06 PM   #9
Gene F

OK, I have never used a slide hammer to pull one. Do this; 1) Get a helper 10 year old grandson, neighbor, wife whomever. 2) put a prybar under the head of the axle, preferable on each side at the same time. Long screwdriver, tire iron, crowbar, whatever. I like to do this with t he brake shoes on, because it it a great leverage point, and seems to be just the angle needed without short chunks of a 2x4 falling on the floor (on the backing plate). 3) put the studs on the nuts a little to protect the threads. 4)Helper pushes on the pry bars. 5) Take at least a 5lbs hammer, and hit the hub portion of the axle (the part in the center of the 5 studs.

Typically 1 to 3 good hard hits and the part pops free.

STEP 6 - Let us know your results back here! Very important when asking for free advice.

Next put what state you are in, province, etc. They are big places, I mean come on...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:53 AM   #10
rjlester

Thanks for all the help guys, I put the car back together last night and drove it around the block a few times, all is well. Gene F, good tip on pulling those axles, I will remember this for the next time I need to do it.

It was three years ago that I bought my first flathead, a 54 Meteor, and now I have four of them, and one 54 Ford. The Ford, and two of the Meteors are parts cars. One of the Meteors I drive in the summer somewhat regularly, and the other Meteor is a 54 Skyliner that needs restoration. The Ford is going to donate its floor to the Skyliner, and has also been a good reference for reassembling things, source of bolts/screws as needed etc. The Meteor I just changed the seals on is meant to be a parts car, but it is so nice that when I'm finished taking parts for my Skyliner off it, I will fix it up as a running and driving "patina" car I'm sure someone will enjoy when I'm finished with it.

This patina car is a four door, PS and Automatic with the original 255 that was rebuilt. Runs great. The PS belt had been off for many years, and despite the car sitting for about 30 years outside, I filled the PS pump with fluid, added a new belt and I'll be darned if that setup doesn't work perfectly. No leaks on the ground. The quality of these old cars I believe is much better than anything you can buy today, with the simplicity being key to longevity.

What a great hobby to have, and I appreciate the knowledge on this forum it has been a priceless source of help.