Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #21
40larry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 119
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
ALSO a fellow barner wanted me to post this picture for him as he couldn't asking for an "ID" which I believe is 41?????

Could this one be the elusive 21A-14600 that was used on the 42 to 48 cars?
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #22
40larry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 119
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurycyclone View Post
40 Larry I have attached a photo of all the cover styles I have at the moment so you can compare the differences. I do not have a 21A-14600 right now but it had only two wire holes and was correct for Ford and Mercury.

Rockfla if you look at the firewall on the engine compartment side below the voltage regulator where the wire harness from under the dash connects to the wire harness for the engine compartment you will see three small holes for the screws that hold the wire harness cover. I have had at least six 39 - 40 Mercury covers and all have had only two holes for the wire harness. Two of the covers were early and the balance later. Looking at all the covers you will see all have the same location for the screws. Hope this helps.



Cyclone:
Here is another one from my collection that is so far not identified. It is similar to 1941 pickup except it has two small size wire openings and one larger opening at the bottom. There are two cover part numbers that we know of that have not as yet been matched up with a cover. They are the 99A-14600 and the 21A-14600. Could this be one of these two?
40larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc02818.jpg (42.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg dsc02819.jpg (43.1 KB, 16 views)
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-29-2020, 03:10 AM   #23
fortyonerag
Senior Member
 
fortyonerag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 321
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
ALSO a fellow barner wanted me to post this picture for him as he couldn't asking for an "ID" which I believe is 41?????
Looks like the one on my 41

fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #24
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

IS the black finish correct??? NOT body color???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #25
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,387
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
IS the black finish correct??? NOT body color???
Black was the intended color for all vehicles regardless of body color. There are a few folks that contend "some" cars had these originally painted body color.
However, none of these folks has ever offered any proof of this actually occurring.
The engineering release clearly indicates black.
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".

Last edited by Kube; 09-29-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 8,285
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
What "Kube" says above makes lots of financial sense. Imagine the extra cost of having to pre-paint the covers to match the body color.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #27
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Black was the intended color for all vehicles regardless of body color. There are a few folks that contend "some" cars had these originally painted body color.
However, none of these folks has ever offered any proof of this actually occurring.
The engineering release clearly indicates black.
Makes common sense, I guess the old "IF it bolts to the car" its black follows suit and sense!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #28
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Black was the intended color for all vehicles regardless of body color. There are a few folks that contend "some" cars had these originally painted body color.
However, none of these folks has ever offered any proof of this actually occurring.
The engineering release clearly indicates black.
Well, I found out the reason my cover was missing on my "Early" 39 Mercury....Dad removed it to have one "made" AS our Pre War Ford GP uses one as well SO he removed it to show it to the fellow helping restore our Ford GP...... SO to "Kube's" point, IT IS painted body color and from "EVERY" indication I can see OUR Merc has never been repainted.....I will post a picture as soon as Dad gets it back in the next few days!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:55 AM   #29
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Kube
In the interim I found this picture of our Merc at the 09 Central National in Auburn and you can see our cover is body color!!! NOT saying you are wrong by any means......BUT here is my bases of proof thus far!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (82.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 09-30-2020 at 08:14 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #30
mercurycyclone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 201
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE366F96-ACF4-436E-B8D3-7FA96BF19753.jpg (43.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg F01713E8-15D2-42D4-9BE0-0CD64CBF67B6.jpg (56.7 KB, 34 views)
mercurycyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #31
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,387
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Kube
In the interim I found this picture of our Merc at the 09 Central National in Auburn and you can see our cover is body color!!! NOT saying you are wrong by any means......BUT here is my bases of proof thus far!!
I must agree that the possibility exists that some covers were painted body color. The logistics to do so would not be a difficult. However, they would add cost, something Ford attempted to avoid when possible.

There haven't been many "colored" covers witnessed that could offer more than "I think this is original" offered as proof and / or theory.
While researching for my book, the priority was always what was intended. When a deviation occurred on a basis so vast it couldn't be cast as "worker error" or "ran out of cadmium bolts (ex)" then I'd include that in the text.
This cover is one of those things that simply has not been witnessed on more than a very infrequent basis.

I did find that very early cars of any model had more anomalies than later production.
A perfect example of that? 1940 Deluxe grille trim with squared off ends. The engineering releases clearly show this design as obsolete prior to "Job #1". Still, this squared off end trim showed up on a vast number of very early vehicles. Too many to believe with any common sense it was worker error or simply an oversight.
Nope, most likely, the early design was used up prior to the speared end design was the "norm".
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #32
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Kube
I was coming from the stand point of your statement above that "Nobody has offered Proof" side of things and also not to be argumentive. I don't dispute the "norm" being black and STILL not convinced yet that mine was originally body color till I get mine back in hand!! SO my picture was merely to show that my statement of body color was also an offer of "proof". AGAIN, I'm still not convinced I am right.....YET!! Lol
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #33
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,387
Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Kube
I was coming from the stand point of your statement above that "Nobody has offered Proof" side of things and also not to be argumentive. I don't dispute the "norm" being black and STILL not convinced yet that mine was originally body color till I get mine back in hand!! SO my picture was merely to show that my statement of body color was also an offer of "proof". AGAIN, I'm still not convinced I am right.....YET!! Lol
I never once considered you anything less than helpful.
As I'd stated earlier, it seems that occasionally when starting a "new" model, there were things that needed to be "dialed in" whether for efficiency, design and / or function.
As (another) example: '39 Deluxe Fords had a grille cross brace that was body color on early models. This particular brace was bolted in place. Mid year change saw this brace riveted to the grille and subsequently painted body color - a definite cost savings.
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".

Last edited by Kube; 09-30-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.