Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2020, 05:41 AM   #1
john charlton

Default 28/29 AA Truck door glass .

I got the left glass in no problem apart from the gap at the top when up .It winds up and down no problem . The right one only goes a quarter of the way up and then the glass takes a veer inwards at its forward edge and jams on the runner . I got to thinking it must be something is bent maybe the steel channel inside the door but it looks fine so any ideas out there ???

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: 28/29 AA Truck door glass .

The glass channels should be absolutely straight. Ditto the places where they "bed" in the door.

Have you examined the placement of the lifting channel at the bottom? As the door riser swings around it may be hitting the end of the channel slot. This area is kind of obscured by the door cross framing so you probably don't see much at the upper end of the travel. Perhaps a mirror and a strong light - or look down if you can from the top and "catch the reflection" in the glass?

Dunno. You're now into the "tweaking" stage - and finding "root cause."

Joe K
Old 10-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
john charlton

I had to crop the repro lifting channel it was too long for the 28/29 door glass .I cropped it so it is 1" inside the door glass ends . It does not foul anything when the glass goes up and down with the felt channel runners not fitted . When it stops raining (Storm Alex) I will take the glass out of the door and check the straightness of the steel channels . I have a suitable straight edge to do this . The channel in the repro lifter is opened ended you get the glass at the right height and wind on the handle and engage the fixed wheel at the bottom of the arm . I have lightly greased the channel . My guess is that the front door channel is out of line .

John in stormy weather Suffolk County England .
Old 10-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Joe K

You could try moving the window without the regulator. Should be an easy lift from bottom to top. Not hard to remove the regulator - and with it out of the way you may see more inside the door.

Joe K
Old 10-04-2020, 04:37 AM   #5
john charlton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
With the regulator wound fully down it is well clear of the glass so I can lift the glass up and to get an easy lift once I figure out what is causing the problem .I think the front steel window track must be out of line .Continued investigations will resume if it ever stops raining !!!

John in same place and same dismal weather .