Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
Peyton

Default Carburetor float hinge bracket dislodged

Discovered a dislodged carburetor float hinge bracket as the cause of recent breakdown --- the float was just sitting in the bottom of the bowl.

Noticed that the bracket had probably been attached to the carburetor body via some sort of epoxy. The holes in the carburetor body for the rivets to be driven into had been enlarged not allowing for a secure fit.

I've read where JB Weld does not hold up well under exposure to ethenol --- do not know if this is true. But whatever was used before did not hold. Epoxy would be an easy fix in lieu of refilling the enlarged rivet holes via some sort of brazing.

Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:02 AM   #2
tiger.1000

Default Re: Carburetor float hinge bracket dislodged

Remove the rivets and drill out the holes oversize. Make up some inserts suitable for new rivets.Press the inserts in using a drop of studlock and then in with the rivets.

Job done !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Peyton

Thanks Tiger.1000. My problem is that the bracket holes somehow don't line up with those in the carb body. The carb body holes are already oversize and oblong. The rivets will fit in the edges of the oblong carb body holes but will not be secure. That's probably why epoxy was used to secure the bracket in the first place.

I would love to be able to use epoxy (JB Weld) again to secure the bracket but not if it won't hold. It seems that my only true option for a long term fix is to braze and redrill the carb body holes.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Russ/40

I have performed tests on JB Weld and gasoline, and results prove it holds for quite a while, but eventually it breaks down. I like Tiger1000's solution, or, silver solder the holes closed and redrill for the rivets. I have had great results with silver solder. I like the way it flows better than brazing.

Last edited by Russ/40; 06-29-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
redmodelt

How about putting the rivets back in to locate the bracket and solder the pieces back together. I would start by getting a new bracket if the hinge pin holes are worn out.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../gaskets-parts
Old 06-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
F.M.
BANNED

Just use another top, Done !!. Unless its a #3
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Peyton

Thanks all. Sounds like in this particular instance, silver solder might work best. The carb top body is in great shape other than the bracket holes. Before the bracket separation, the carb worked better than any that I have had on the car --- including Tillotson, Marvel and other Zeniths. So, it is special to me.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #8
tiger.1000

Peyton,

Whichever way you go you really do need to start of with a blank canvas and have a solid piece of metal to work with. Do not use JB Weld...it will give up on you

Send it to me in the UK and I'll do the job for you.......
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 AM   #9
kimlinh

Peyton,

Tiger 1000 is right, you really do need to do a good job whatever way you go. Do you have any equipment available to you like a lathe, mill, sandblaster, and torches? I might have an extra carb top that will fit if you can't fix yours.
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
Benson

I have tried to replace a number of broken hinges and have finally decided that it is not worth the trouble unless a Bridgeport milling machine is used to remove the broken pins.

The problem is that the steel used in the pins is usually much harder than a drill bit so you can not center the drill bit, even with a drill press, to drill out the pin.

The bit just "skids" off center and you can not remove the remaining pieces of the steel pin from the softer cast iron.

The milling machine might be used to remove the pieces of the hardened steel pin.

Then the hole is too large for the replacement steel "spiral" pin to fit the hole.

Maybe one could use a milling machine to install a correctly centered insert which would be drilled to fit the spiral replacement pins. As mentioned above

The silver solder idea has the same problems. How to remove the pieces of broken pin and centering the holes.

So much easier to find another unmolested upper casting!

Last edited by Benson; 06-30-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

I have removed flush broke drive pins by using a piece of copper with small hole to weld through so only the pin is welded to, then yanking piece out.
Oversized holes can be tapped with bottoming tap, screw/bolt cranked tight, cut off and re drilled for proper pin
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
redmodelt

"Noticed that the bracket had probably been attached to the carburetor body via some sort of epoxy. The holes in the carburetor body for the rivets to be driven into had been enlarged not allowing for a secure fit."
Old 06-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
Peyton

I'd send an image if I could figure out how to do it. Prepared a great image but can't get it to attach!
Old 06-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
Peyton

If you know of a simple way to attach photos, please let me know. My experiences so far have been enough to make a preacher cuss!
Old 06-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
Gary WA

email the picture to yourself, save it ,then you can attach using the go advanced method. send picture to me Ill put it on fordbarn. [email protected].
Old 08-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
Peyton

Update:

Mr. Charlie Armstrong (Shepherdsville, Ky) repaired the screw insert areas in my upper carb body assembly allowing the float hinge bracket to be attached by brass screws. The carburetor is now fully functional due to his great work at reasonable cost.

I heard about the good work of Mr. Armstrong thru satisfied Model A friends who have had their Zenith carbs rebuilt by him at very reasonable cost (2019 price $60 labor plus the cost of parts). Mr. Armstrong can be reached at 502-543-9546.

Mr. Armstrong states that he stands behind his rebuilds and my experience with him certainly agrees with that statement. My Model A friends concur that he stands by his work and does a great rebuild.