Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Ian1932

Default Can you put a price on these?

I have some things i want to sell but i have no idea what they are worth. I want to get as much as i can to fund my project, but i want to be realistic with an asking price so. If anyone could help me price them it would be greatly appreciated. I think its all NOS stuff. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5026.jpg (58.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5027.jpg (58.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5028.jpg (48.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5029.jpg (57.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5030.jpg (73.5 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5031.jpg (60.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5034.jpg (60.8 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5035.jpg (47.2 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5032.jpg (61.7 KB, 219 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Can you put a price on these?

Its going to be worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. Take that stuff to the NSRA flea market when it comes to Knoxville, that would be the easiest place to sell for the highest price.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

About a year ago I sold a complete NOS 40 std/pickup grille, all pieces for $650. I can't tell if the pot metal sides are perfect or not in the pictures. The NOS 40del hl door is a pig in a poke. I had 4 NOS ones still in the paper wrappers that were bare, no chrome and only 2 of them could be plated, the pot metal is quite unpredictable when put into the solutions they use to plate them. I am not familiar with hubcap pricing.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
cas3

that grill will bring a heap of dough on ebay. i believe its 39 deluxe, 40 standard, and 41 pickup. very expensive new
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
19Fordy

40 head light bezels are not worth much as they are available in repro. cheaper than what it would cost to get those replated.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

Grille is NOT 39 deluxe, kind of similar but not. 39 is tin with stainless strips not pot metal.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
TJ

If the hubcaps are NOS and not repo they should bring $40+ each. If they are repos they sell retail from the vendors at $30 to $35 each. I've bought new repos as cheaply as $60 for a set of four. You have four '46 caps and one '42 cap. The NOS grill if complete should sell for $600-$850 if there is nothing broken on any of the sections. The head light doors may sell for $5 each to the right person. There's a lot of them at swap meets.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
Ian1932

Thanks everyone for the replies! The grill has the chrome section is really nice and will clean to new. The black sections are painted gloss black or a really really dark charcoal color. The paint is actually really nice but it has a couple chips. I didnt clean these off or anything so the dust makes it look crappy. I might clean them and try to ebay them but im not in a huge hurry. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Ian1932

A couple more things maybe you guys can help. I assume each of these go with each hood latch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5076.jpg (51.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5077.jpg (64.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5079.jpg (59.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5081.jpg (54.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5085.jpg (71.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5084.jpg (73.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5080.jpg (47.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5086.jpg (62.3 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Ian1932; 01-02-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Fred A

Sure trying to spice it up with the term NOS bit the pictures aren't able to show any kind of new quality plating which would make most of the inflated value. This stuff has been reproduced for many decades and the re-popper is often clearly labeled. Hands-on and knowing what you're talking about would sure help. As I've often said, there must be a regional excuse for the wildly variable perception of value. Having recently bought many of the pieces for far less than estimate for my '40s, but here in the west we seldom buy retail. Sorry for the buyer that takes this seriously. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
deuce_roadster

The hood bullnose with "Ford" in blue is a 40 V8 (standard) and the other is a 40 deluxe. I have been approached by people who want to buy my spare deluxe versions because I guess right now they are not available or "out of stock" You can look up what Drake sells reproductions for when and if he has them. The deluxe looks very nice and would command a high price if it an original. Look on the back and see if Drake's name is there.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Sure trying to spice it up with the term NOS bit the pictures aren't able to show any kind of new quality plating which would make most of the inflated value. This stuff has been reproduced for many decades and the re-popper is often clearly labeled. Hands-on and knowing what you're talking about would sure help. As I've often said, there must be a regional excuse for the wildly variable perception of value. Having recently bought many of the pieces for far less than estimate for my '40s, but here in the west we seldom buy retail. Sorry for the buyer that takes this seriously. Good Luck: Fred A
WOW. Haha, your as bold as body wash, shampoo & shave cream in one!

First off, i didnt write NOS on any of this stuff! It was already on there!

At first was was kinda agitated @ your post. However, you just validated what i was unsure of, is this stuff rare? I talked to some guys on the phone about these NOS parts in this condition and they expressed that it was indeed rare and they might be repos.

Well, im sure it is rare to have a father who is pushing 90 and has been a collector (hoarder) since he was a teen. My father has spent more hours @ swap meets than i have been on this earth!
About 2 months ago was the first time ever worked on a car that is didn't absolutely have to. I just turned 40 and my interests should probably be in 1990 5.0 mustangs. So, for one second do not believe that because im selling this items i should know all about them and determine if they are repros. I didn't even know what NOS meant until about a year ago. I assure you this, there no way shape or form that i would EVER try swindle someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5097.jpg (53.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5100.jpg (81.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5101.jpg (79.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5102.jpg (71.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5104.jpg (47.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5105.jpg (52.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5094.jpg (84.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5095.jpg (58.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Ian1932; 01-02-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
Capt Kirk

Ian, I see you're fairly new here. Don't take things personally...most here have a great love for these old cars (including myself) and some here have been burned by people trying to take advantage of that. If you've got NOS parts (which it looks like you do) then the parts will command the price that those who need them are willing to pay. Personally, I'd clean them up a bit and let the parts speak for themselves. I don't know anything about these parts or the cars they belong to and I don't believe you're going to get rich or be able to fund a project with them...if you don't need/want them, allow them to go to those that do for a fair price. Enjoy your project, post pictures and this site is a great resource for information!!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Ian, I see you're fairly new here. Don't take things personally...most here have a great love for these old cars (including myself) and some here have been burned by people trying to take advantage of that. If you've got NOS parts (which it looks like you do) then the parts will command the price that those who need them are willing to pay. Personally, I'd clean them up a bit and let the parts speak for themselves. I don't know anything about these parts or the cars they belong to and I don't believe you're going to get rich or be able to fund a project with them...if you don't need/want them, allow them to go to those that do for a fair price. Enjoy your project, post pictures and this site is a great resource for information!!
Your right, i should take it personally. I just sold some things already and i dont want the guys to be worried. However, the money i get from this stuff will indeed fund this project...I dont need much...
Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Hang in there Ian, don't let a couple of people get to you!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #16
Fordors

There are two sides to every coin and in a situation like this there will always be issues. One side says they can't possibly be NOS, they are too nice, or worse yet, everybody uses that term now so there is disbelief.
On the flip side are the vultures that want to buy low so they can sell for a profit, or even worse stick it on the shelf and hoard it. If the parts were mine I would do some research regarding prices realized in past eBay sales and then list them starting at a reasonable opening bid with the best description and photos you can provide. The quality and rarity will drive the bidding.
Let the naysayers have their say, they were likely not buyers anyway. I see no reason why you should not try to maximize profit, they are your parts purchased by your dad years ago. Clearly dad had a good eye and spent many hours and miles on the swap trail, do not hesitate to realize a solid return on dad's investment.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
There are two sides to every coin and in a situation like this there will always be issues. One side says they can't possibly be NOS, they are too nice, or worse yet, everybody uses that term now so there is disbelief.
On the flip side are the vultures that want to buy low so they can sell for a profit, or even worse stick it on the shelf and hoard it. If the parts were mine I would do some research regarding prices realized in past eBay sales and then list them starting at a reasonable opening bid with the best description and photos you can provide. The quality and rarity will drive the bidding.
Let the naysayers have their say, they were likely not buyers anyway. I see no reason why you should not try to maximize profit, they are your parts purchased by your dad years ago. Clearly dad had a good eye and spent many hours and miles on the swap trail, do not hesitate to realize a solid return on dad's investment.
You are a wise man...Well said...