Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Ian1932

Default Winter-leaf Brown - Light? - Dark?- Other?

So i have a couple pcs of a roadster that were painted 40+ years ago. My dad painted them and thought it was winter leaf brown.

I found in the garage an unopened can of PPG Acrylic Lacquer #986. I stirred this can a dribbled some in a little ketchup cup and let it dry. When i put it next to a part he painted its not the same. Its close sorta but not close when your talking auto paint. Im wondering if he used another color that might have been a ford color... I just dont know...Certianly the paint is colorfast enough to where it wouldnt get lighter stored in the dark. The ketchup cup paint is a little darker and more green olive ever so slightly. I really want to use the color he had intended to use and not re-paint the parts that he sprayed. Its not a lot but i want it to be exactly how he would want to see it. Any advice on how to handle this would be gretly appreciated. Im sure i could get it scanned but im hoping someone knows their colors and just can give me some paint codes that it might be...??? Thanks in a advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4792.jpg (50.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4791.jpg (38.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4790.jpg (41.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4789.jpg (49.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4787.jpg (43.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4783.jpg (58.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4784.jpg (59.7 KB, 40 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Winter-leaf Brown - Light? - Dark?- Other?

Judging true colors from photos is tricky at best because of the influence of light, its intensity, and its source. For example, in your various photos, I see Winterleaf brown light, Winterleaf brown dark, Old Chester gray, and Tunis gray depending on the photo. All four of those colors were originally used on '32s in pairs: Winterleaf brown light as the main body color and Winterleaf brown dark as the molding color and Old Chester gray either as the main body color or the molding color along with Tunis gray either as the the molding color or the main body color as shown in the color chart below (from one of the 1932 issues of Ford News).

The colors on the coupe in the photo below are believed to be an accurate replica of the Winterleaf browns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 119.jpg (36.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg olympus photos June, 2013 187.jpg (65.9 KB, 84 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
19Fordy

Here's Briarwood brown color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4150b.jpg (82.8 KB, 27 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Judging true colors from photos is tricky at best because of the influence of light, its intensity, and its source. For example, in your various photos, I see Winterleaf brown light, Winterleaf brown dark, Old Chester gray, and Tunis gray depending on the photo. All four of those colors were originally used on '32s in pairs: Winterleaf brown light as the main body color and Winterleaf brown dark as the molding color and Old Chester gray either as the main body color or the molding color along with Tunis gray either as the the molding color or the main body color as shown in the color chart below (from one of the 1932 issues of Ford News).

The colors on the coupe in the photo below are believed to be an accurate replica of the Winterleaf browns.
Well the can says winterleaf brown #986 witch is supposed to be "light" which is the little circle sample. It seems i may need to have someone scan the parts i have finished an try to match it. The color he used seems to be lighter than the (light). I guess ill try to reduce and spray some before i try to get it scanned and make sure it doesnt dry any different when its reduced...Who knows, this now just got really difficult...Thanks for the thorough response...
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
32phil

Keep in mind the chemicals in the paint may have changed after 40+ years in the can.
I have opened paint that has been stored for 25+ years and found it to have a slight variation. In my case the paint was stored in the original can UPSIDE DOWN, unopened and in a relatively constant temp of 55-70 degrees. Never frozen or overheated.
The color was off when I tried to use it.
I did notice a partial coating inside the can lid that would not mix in or wash off with thinner. Maybe that leached out of the paint and caused the color to shift. DUNNO.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
Capt Kirk

I'm not a painting expert but would guess that thinners and activators could change the color a bit. I have also heard that the color of the primer can affect the final color of the paint.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
I'm not a painting expert but would guess that thinners and activators could change the color a bit. I have also heard that the color of the primer can affect the final color of the paint.
Yeah, i agree. Im going to thin and spray a little and see what it looks like and then go from there.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Old paint has its limits. Some will last for 4 or 5 years and some more or less depending on manufacturer & quality. I seldom use paint that is more than 4-years old and that is only if it still has the same shade or I don't have to worry about a match. Chemicals just change over time and there isn't much that can be done about that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Bubsyouruncle

DavidG,Rotorwrench,and all.
Beauty is in the high of the holder.
What was was 70 years ago no longer exists.
Even those few who saw what was have impaired memories.
Let's just get close.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote