Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2020, 01:38 AM   #1
Tinker

Default T5 guys TKX

So I'm not a big T5 transmission swap guy. I'm a fan of the bango as designed and a 3 sp or od, But what does this do for the guys that are looking? Not having to hunt a s10 trans down?

https://americanpowertrain.com/the-a...c-tkx-is-here/
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:53 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: T5 guys TKX

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Tremac vs S10 , BIG difference in price............a lot. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

It will be a much improved transmission over a T5 NWC box. I've not seen one, but from reading the specs, it is probably more like the modern Magnum tranny, but smaller, lighter duty, etc..

If you've ever shifted a Magnum (which is totally redesigned and not the same as the older TKOs - you feel a really nice smooth engagement, excellent). You have three different shifter locations on the TKX, so with the forward mount, should work pretty well in a Hotrod.

Lastly, you have a whole range of gear ratios - I like the close ratio setup with the .81 overdrive - great setup for one of our cars:

TKX-GearRatios.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
deuce_roadster

If you drive the old 3 speed box a lot, you will get tired of coming to a stop before shifting into low. If you do it on the move you will eventually ruin the low reverse gear and probably the cluster too.
I have a TKO for my brand X 55 I am building and I will thoroughly enjoy synchronizers in all the gears as well as the OD. I am not thrashing this car like a race car so the 600 ft/lb torque rating is plenty good.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
frnkeore

The only thing I don't like about it, is the price of $2800.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:44 AM   #7
Tinker

It's not cheap. But it is an interesting transmission that spans a lot of yr uses being somewhat small. The cost of an old t5 trans is just the beginning when converting to open drive.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:40 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

This is interesting, so let's do some comparing. The TKO and TKX are both aftermarket transmissions manufactured for hobbyists building cars like "hot rods", "Muscle" cars and healthy street racer types. They are beefy, they can generally survive the torque produced by today's healthy performance engines, and come with enough OD ratio choices that offer acceptable tuning for different "upper speed" requirements, especially when a lumpy, performance cam figures-in to the picture. It's nice to get the RPMs down while tooling-along at higher speeds, but you really don't want your RPMs in 5th gear to go so low with a performance camshaft that you end-up "lugging" the engine at too low of an RPM at normal highway speeds. In other words, that .64 OD ratio MIGHT sound great to get the RPMs down low at say 65-70 mph, but with a performance cam and a lower numerical rear end gear, or larger diameter rear tires, it's possible to get into a situation where you're lugging your engine with that "Gee-Whiz-Lumpety-Lump" camshaft at 1,300 or 1,400 RPMs, and that ain't necessarily good. The older TKO offers a .64, a .68, and an .82 OD ratio for just such occasions.

The new TKX offers a little more diversity with a .68, a .72, and a .81 OD ratio. Since the new TKX and the older TKO can both be had with the same two choices of 'close ratio' gear sets, I would imagine that the slight (1%) difference shown between the .81 and .82 OD ratios is likely a "rounding of numbers" exercise rather than two different (and insignificant) OD ratios.

I own a TKO 600 that I bought new about twelve years ago for $1995, shipped and no tax! This one has the .82 OD and was bought to go behind the lumpy-cammed L76 (365 horse) Corvette engine in my '40 coupe. That car has a '57 Ford 9" with a 3.50 gear, and I just didn't want the revs getting too low at 70 or 75 mph with that cam. And it has a near-perfect 2.87 1st gear.

What I believe we have here in the new TKX is a "re-packaged" TKO, with probably some improved synchronizer pieces, as SOME TKOs have been reported to have problems shifting at over 6,500 RPMs. Tremec claims this new one shifts well up past eight grand. As can be seen by the pictures, the TKX's main and rear cases have been cleaned-up and made more compact when compared with the older TKO. The lumps on top AND the shifter location seem to be lower on the TKX, affording more tunnel room at top of trans. MOST folks ARE NOT going to break either of these transmissions unless 'stupidity' somehow gets into the picture.

So, our poor little T5 tries to remain in the limelight. And it WILL! I've bragged on the T5s for years now. They are such a diverse design. As long as you respect the WC and NWC differences between early ones and late ones, you can swap parts to come-up with all sorts of configurations, as well as different gear ratio sets. ALL main cases are of the same internal dimensions, and they are still easy to find. They are affordable! Pieces are available all over the internet, and assembling them does NOT involve rocket science. And, they can be made to fit most vehicles, and do offer plenty of strength (If YOU'RE CIVILIZED) behind a flathead, or even a little Chevy. All three of these transmissions offer very smooth, solid shifting with a shifter located just a little ways behind the original shifters on Model As thru 1939 Fords. You can build a nice, close-ratio T5 for well less than a grand.
DD

The "TKO" 600

The "TKX"

The Camaro T5/S-10 Tail Shaft Housing

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

With just a quick look, it appears that the bellhousing bolt pattern is different, unless it comes in different configurations. Everything I have uses the Ford bolt pattern on the T5, maybe not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
38bill

I don't see anything about multiple shifter locations on the TKX. Did I miss that somewhere?
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
Krylon32

Just watched the promo video by Modern Driveline on the TKX and he implies that there are 3 shifter locations with one of them being a mid shifter similar to the location of the S10 shifter. Judging by the top plate it should be very close?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
With just a quick look, it appears that the bellhousing bolt pattern is different, unless it comes in different configurations. Everything I have uses the Ford bolt pattern on the T5, maybe not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.
The TKX comes in BOTH configurations...Chevy or Ford. I don't think I've ever seen a TKO with other than the standard Chevy pattern, now that I think about it.

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked

I agree with most of what V8 Coopman had to say, except I think it isn't all that easy to build a close ratio T5 for under a grand - including the necessary S10 rear section. I don't think I could actually do it (with me doing the work).

Most T5's come with a wide ratio gear set where 1st is practically useless . . . and the standard overdrive ratio is pretty steep (somewhere around .68 to .72 if I remember). I've modified them to put a .82 OD in, but there goes a couple hundred bucks on top of everything else. If you want to buy a close-ratio gear set, it is another $500+ . . . then you have to buy a rebuild kit, new synchros, etc - and do the work. (There goes probably another $150 or so in parts).

My guess is that for an average guy to buy all the stuff to build a close-ratio T5, with a .82 OD, S10 rear housing . . . they're probably going to be well over $1500 - AND, they better know how to rebuild it (and most guys I know are not skilled in transmission rebuilds).

When you start adding it all up (including your time and rebuilding work), buying a new TKX isn't a huge amount of money above that . . .

Okay, just another Flathead Wacko's opinion - which is worth exactly what it cost to read it.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I agree with most of what V8 Coopman had to say, except I think it isn't all that easy to build a close ratio T5 for under a grand - including the necessary S10 rear section. I don't think I could actually do it (with me doing the work).

Most T5's come with a wide ratio gear set where 1st is practically useless . . . and the standard overdrive ratio is pretty steep (somewhere around .68 to .72 if I remember). I've modified them to put a .82 OD in, but there goes a couple hundred bucks on top of everything else. If you want to buy a close-ratio gear set, it is another $500+ . . . then you have to buy a rebuild kit, new synchros, etc - and do the work. (There goes probably another $150 or so in parts).

My guess is that for an average guy to buy all the stuff to build a close-ratio T5, with a .82 OD, S10 rear housing . . . they're probably going to be well over $1500 - AND, they better know how to rebuild it (and most guys I know are not skilled in transmission rebuilds).

When you start adding it all up (including your time and rebuilding work), buying a new TKX isn't a huge amount of money above that . . .

Okay, just another Flathead Wacko's opinion - which is worth exactly what it cost to read it.
B&S is correct in everything he said above. In fact, if so desired, one can sink obscene amounts of money into a T5. And for any of you folks that don't realize it, B&S involves himself regularly with PRECISION "go-fast" equipment, the likes of which, most mere mortals have no comprehension. So what I'm saying here is that he does things "automotive" in grand style....no quick, BS transmission rebuilds on a makeshift, dirty workbench! Simply put, his normal MO is to re-manufacture to exacting standards, and to modify to extract performance to the nines, and then some! He's kind of a perfectionist, and there ain't a darned thing wrong with that.......PERIOD! So, with that cleared-up, I was essentially speaking of finding (they're still out there at swap meets) a greasy old '83-'87 Camaro V8 NWC T5 for $250-ish, which comes with the close ratio (2.95 1st gear) set. Another $150-ish for a simple bearing and synchronizer rebuild package, another $150-$200 for an S-10 tail shaft housing on eBay, a matching short rail shifter lid for $50 or so, another very generous $100 allowance for incidentals, and anybody with a press and some reasonable transmission savvy has that basic, decent-shifting, reasonably fresh T5 transmission with the forward-position shifter, and a .63 OD ratio that worked just fine in factory Camaros with 3.42 rear ends. Anything even close, ratio wise for a rear end gear is going to be compatible with that trans. And as long as none of the gears or major pieces have been trashed inside your starter trans, refreshing with a rebuild package SHOULD put most transmissions back on the road successfully for the average hobbyist.

Believe me, I understand the advantages of tailoring precise gear ratios when considering the likes of rear end ratio, tire size, camshaft, power bands, and more. That's precisely why my TKO was bought with a .82 OD ratio and the 2.87 1st gear. But the point here is that it is still possible to freshen a close ratio T5 that can put many happy (s)miles on your face for a grand or less.....with a .63 OD ratio! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Oh Hell V8 Coopman . . . I only wish I was a mere fraction of what you spelled out as my 'MO' up above.

If a guy was good at scrounging up all the right parts from cheap sources, they might be able to do it. Maybe when I "scrounge" I find the most expensive sources - then pay them extra for their time. Or, maybe I'm always in a damn hurry (as every project I work on, I seem to be LATE on . . . so then I have to pay a premium).

This has been a good thread . . . and believe me, I want to take my TKO and NOT put it in my 34 Coupe (blown Early Hemi) - and buy a damn TKX!

It is such a better looking transmission than the beast of a trans the TKO is. LOL Also, I bet it has the much improved shifter system that the Magnum has . . . like BUTTER, even at high RPMs!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Oh Hell V8 Coopman . . . I only wish I was a mere fraction of what you spelled out as my 'MO' up above.

If a guy was good at scrounging up all the right parts from cheap sources, they might be able to do it. Maybe when I "scrounge" I find the most expensive sources - then pay them extra for their time. Or, maybe I'm always in a damn hurry (as every project I work on, I seem to be LATE on . . . so then I have to pay a premium).

This has been a good thread . . . and believe me, I want to take my TKO and NOT put it in my 34 Coupe (blown Early Hemi) - and buy a damn TKX!

It is such a better looking transmission than the beast of a trans the TKO is. LOL Also, I bet it has the much improved shifter system that the Magnum has . . . like BUTTER, even at high RPMs!
I'm sure you're right on EVERY point here. That TKX sure is a boatload better LOOKING than the TKO. Frankly, I never understood why the TKO was so 'busy'-looking with stuff stickin'-out all over. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I was buying T5zs through Ford Motor Sports for under $1,200 with free delivery to the dealer. Purchased a lot of them at that price, then the price jumped up about another K! I think they are down in price a little now, but the cheap ones are no more.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
What I believe we have here in the new TKX is a "re-packaged" TKO, with probably some improved synchronizer pieces, as SOME TKOs have been reported to have problems shifting at over 6,500 RPMs. Tremec claims this new one shifts well up past eight grand. As can be seen by the pictures, the TKX's main and rear cases have been cleaned-up and made more compact when compared with the older TKO. The lumps on top AND the shifter location seem to be lower on the TKX, affording more tunnel room at top of trans.
I would agree. It even shares some of the exact same boss and rib geometry at the bellhousing flange and in the tail shaft housing.

I don't really consider this to be a replacement for the T5. It's a replacement for the TKO500/600 to make it more muscle car friendly.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
I would agree. It even shares some of the exact same boss and rib geometry at the bellhousing flange and in the tail shaft housing.

I don't really consider this to be a replacement for the T5. It's a replacement for the TKO500/600 to make it more muscle car friendly.
Absolutely concur! T5 is a whole different class of animal, yet just fine for flatheads and small Chevys......if driven sanely. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #20
38bill

Good thing is that maybe it will free up more of the old T5's for our flatheads.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote