Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
365Window

Default '36 wheel size with drop axle

Hello Experts (and Whatnot),

I recently acquired a '36 5w coupe which is my first pre-50s classic. Not my favorite body style but the car is a complete steel mid30s coupe regardless and the price was right and I was the first to see it so I grabbed it. It barely ran when I got it but after a carb rebuild and some plugs the 350SBC runs flawlessly.

Anyway, to the point, it has lots of go but not much stop with the drums brakes on it now. I am dropping the front end and adding front disc brakes. The car is a driver and my aim is not to dump a bunch of money into it but just to make it drive rock solid and look cool doing it.

This kit from Speedway has a lot of great customer reviews and fits my budget and needs.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-F...xle,35260.html

My questions are around front wheel size. I'll be using 48 in 4 in drop axles (2 +/- actual drop), reverse eye spring (1-2 in drop) with 37-41 style aftermarket spindles, 3 3/4 in drop steering arms.

I am pretty firm on 15 in with 4.5in BP. I'll probably just powder coat some smoothies but not sure on the width and backspace should be.

The above setup seems pretty standard so I am betting some of you guys can tell me the issues you have encountered with different wheel sizes, tires, and backspace issues and/or what works best. And REMEMBER, a pictures worth a thousand words...

Here is mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.jpg (80.8 KB, 169 views)
365Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: '36 wheel size with drop axle

When you say "not much stop" have you compared it with other cars have have similar brakes (I assume it is the early Ford 1939-48 type brakes). I am not going to insult you by trying to convince you they are as good as disc brakes but maybe you have a problem and if it was fixed you would be happy with your existing brakes (MUCH cheaper). Be sure to post your question also on HAMB (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/) since fordbarn is mostly stockers and HAMB is into the modified. I think your car looks great, I would leave it alone and drive it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
365Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
When you say "not much stop" have you compared it with other cars have have similar brakes (I assume it is the early Ford 1939-48 type brakes). I am not going to insult you by trying to convince you they are as good as disc brakes but maybe you have a problem and if it was fixed you would be happy with your existing brakes (MUCH cheaper). Be sure to post your question also on HAMB (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/) since fordbarn is mostly stockers and HAMB is into the modified. I think your car looks great, I would leave it alone and drive it.

Charlie Stephens

I appreciate your perspective. You sound just like my dad. I definitely considered just rebuilding the current system wherever needed.

I found this car has an adapter on the front hubs transitioning from 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 which it does not have in the rear which is 5x4.5. I want to solve for that too so converting to disc does that for me too. It is cheap, effective, an easy. My mind is made up. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
BLACKNRED

15" wheels will be fine, go with neutral offset and you will be safe
BLACKNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
cas3

disc brakes on my daily drivers are a wonderful thing. disc brakes on a car that is seasonal, or sits for long periods is a bad deal. pads form a rust spot, which is hard and eats up pads, and pistons seem more prone to seizing than drum brakes. just my 2 cents worth, and i am not running in the 24hour lemans, nor do drive in rush hour in the city, and i do not tailgate...so, drums are fine with me
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
365Window

Drum ... Disc ... Whatever. I have classics with both that all stop fine.

This post is about what wheel size after I install disc brakes and a 48 inch drop axle, drop arms, rev eye springs and spindles.

I need data on wheel size and not opinions on brakes.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365Window View Post
Drum ... Disc ... Whatever. I have classics with both that all stop fine.
This post is about what wheel size after I install disc brakes and a 48 inch drop axle, drop arms, rev eye springs and spindles.
I need data on wheel size and not opinions on brakes.
Thanks.

You might find the H.A.M.B to be more informative.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #8
jrvariel48

I'm running a 48", 4" drop axle and the stock spring with four leaves removed. I have 16" X 6" bias ply original style tires on 35 wire wheels. No problem at all! I can send you pics if it helps.
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
365Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
I'm running a 48", 4" drop axle and the stock spring with four leaves removed. I have 16" X 6" bias ply original style tires on 35 wire wheels. No problem at all! I can send you pics if it helps.
Thanks for the useful info. Do your 16 x 6 have a neutral offset (0)?
Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Our current CEO (Ryan) of the barn has relaxed the forum rules enough that we can ask for input on some modern improvements to our early Fords but only to a point. Your car is already modified to more of a street rod category so it is a bit outside of the forums purpose.

The old mechanical brake systems could use improvements and so could the later Lockheed hydraulic brakes but they do function OK if maintained in good condition. The Lincoln brakes of the late 30s & 40s were a Bendix design and will stop an old Ford pretty well. Reproductions of the Lincoln brakes are available from MT products and other sources. If you want to go all the way to disk brakes then that is starting to get outside this forums purpose and more toward a forum that is into street rods.

As far as wheel size, the car will work with the more traditional 16 inch sizes but the wider 15 inch sizes might run into problems with tire width on a full fendered car. Narrower sizes are available in the 15 inch but I personally think the old style 16s look better but then again, I'm more traditional and prefer flathead V8 engines over the monkey motors.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
bigwindowjim

Question...why go with a 48" axle...if you go with a 46" axle, your tires would have more tire turning clearance without any offset issues on the rims, wouldn't they?
bigwindowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwindowjim View Post
Question...why go with a 48" axle...if you go with a 46" axle, your tires would have more tire turning clearance without any offset issues on the rims, wouldn't they?
Nope.......just the opposite. The closer-together the kingpins (46"), the closer that puts the tires to rubbing on the wishbones when making turns. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwindowjim View Post
I don't think you can get a 46" axle with the same perch pin measurement as a 36 wishbone. Magnum sells a 47" which is what I'm thinking of getting for my 36 coupe.
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #14
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsterguy View Post
I don't think you can get a 46" axle with the same perch pin measurement as a 36 wishbone. Magnum sells a 47" which is what I'm thinking of getting for my 36 coupe.
why not have your original axle dropped. Does the magnum axle have the correct perch bolt measurement for 33-36 axle?
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #15
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Will View Post
why not have your original axle dropped. Does the magnum axle have the correct perch bolt measurement for 33-36 axle?
It does but the axle is 47 1/2" on the KP holes.
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #16
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsterguy View Post
It does but the axle is 47 1/2" on the KP holes.
Greg Haynes dropped my 36 axle, the KP C/C ended up at 47-1/4. I also reversed the eye on the main leaf and left out 3 leaves, running the original wide 5 wheels with 39 brakes 5.50 Coker nostalgia radials and its tight.
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
skidmarks

This car I built has a 1-1/2 over stock dropped axle. Durant mono leaf reverse eye spring and F100 brakes. Sits right and stops great. Has 37-41 spindles with stock steering arms that did not need dropped. Chassis engineering tube shocks and a custom made Panhard bar. F100 brakes are bendix type with 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13227753_10208646425974017_3416068124444886444_o.jpg (61.9 KB, 422 views)
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #18
tony starr

Thumbs up Re: '36 wheel size with drop axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
nice looking '37

-
Old 06-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony starr View Post
nice looking '37

-
Thanks. Got a flatback to do next basically the same way.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #20
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
This car I built has a 1-1/2 over stock dropped axle. Durant mono leaf reverse eye spring and F100 brakes. Sits right and stops great. Has 37-41 spindles with stock steering arms that did not need dropped. Chassis engineering tube shocks and a custom made Panhard bar. F100 brakes are bendix type with 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern.
Looks like picture may have been ttaken on a rainy day at Latimore Vally, PA
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attachment.jpeg (61.9 KB, 7 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-29-2016 at 05:30 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote