Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2022, 08:17 PM   #1
doug.nichols

Question Front end Rebuild?

My brake actuating arms have more play in their joints with the king pin, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" wiggle, than I would have have expected. But I don't know what is normal.

On the passenger side, the brake actuating arm connection to the brake rod is quite sloppy, but seems to work ok.

The king pins do not wiggle much when I push the top and bottom of the wheel when on jack stands. No death wobble!

Do folks think this front end needs to be rebuilt?
doug.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:54 PM   #2
TMarsh

Default Re: Front end Rebuild?

I had a wiggle in my brake actuating arm, and it turned out that the attaching nut just needed tightening. Found it while lubing vehicle. Rebuilt all the front end myself and at first I thought I had missed something. No wiggle , wobble , slop or death wobble. Tightened bolt and all is well. No driving symptoms even with wobble in arm, corrected now. I know every nut bolt and carter pin on this coupe.
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarsh View Post
I had a wiggle in my brake actuating arm, and it turned out that the attaching nut just needed tightening. Found it while lubing vehicle. Rebuilt all the front end myself and at first I thought I had missed something. No wiggle , wobble , slop or death wobble. Tightened bolt and all is well. No driving symptoms even with wobble in arm, corrected now. I know every nut bolt and carter pin on this coupe.
Cotter pin?
Old 06-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #4
nkaminar

In my opinion, spelling variations are OK. It used to be that spelling variations were quite common before spell checkers and even more common before dictionaries. For instance I was taught that the thing in the distributor is a condensor but my spell checker does not like that.

Expanding on that theme is the GPS. It wants to take me on routes that are different than the routes that I want to take. Especially when driving my Model A.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:14 AM   #5
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Expanding on that theme is the GPS. It wants to take me on routes that are different than the routes that I want to take. Especially when driving my Model A.
In the GPS setting you can usually set which way the GPS will calculate the route, such as quickest, using motorways etc.

Several years ago we stayed with an old professor, well respected in Germany in his mid 90's. He wanted to take us to the wine region over the border in France. So I set the GPS. But he wasn't happy. It didn't take us thru the small towns he wanted us to see. So I turned it off. He didn't think much of the GPS. Despite having only 10 percent sight he always seemed to know where we were. His wife in the back seat with the map giving directions while translating didn't seem to help. My wife also in the back seat giving directions wasn't much help. We seemed to drive thru tourists and park in the middle of small towns were I'm sure we were not supposed to be, but he just said that the police will be having lunch.

On the way back, with no GPS, we ended up on the autobarn. Very, very fast cars, after dark and raining. We had no idea where we were.
I said to the wife "turn on the GPS!!"

It gave us perfect turn by turn directions to get home.
When we arrived he was really impressed by how well the GPS worked.
During the war he saved his unit from the Americans with his map reading ability. He had been a student at that time.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
In the GPS setting you can usually set which way the GPS will calculate the route, such as quickest, using motorways etc.

Several years ago we stayed with an old professor, well respected in Germany in his mid 90's. He wanted to take us to the wine region over the border in France. So I set the GPS. But he wasn't happy. It didn't take us thru the small towns he wanted us to see. So I turned it off. He didn't think much of the GPS. Despite having only 10 percent sight he always seemed to know where we were. His wife in the back seat with the map giving directions while translating didn't seem to help. My wife also in the back seat giving directions wasn't much help. We seemed to drive thru tourists and park in the middle of small towns were I'm sure we were not supposed to be, but he just said that the police will be having lunch.

On the way back, with no GPS, we ended up on the autobarn. Very, very fast cars, after dark and raining. We had no idea where we were.
I said to the wife "turn on the GPS!!"

It gave us perfect turn by turn directions to get home.
When we arrived he was really impressed by how well the GPS worked.
During the war he saved his unit from the Americans with his map reading ability. He had been a student at that time.
So he helped Hitler in WWII? Boy, that’s something to be proud of…..NOT!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote