Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino
Default Georgia Title Questions

I am about to give my son a 1930 model A that I have partly put together from swap meet parts. Thus I do not have a title for it. Just a bill of sale for various parts. My question is: Are titles required for registation or proof of ownership in Georgia? Perhaps the better question is how does one go about getting these credentials in Georgia for a constructed vehicle:? I am not in Georgia. Will he have any major problems registering it, etc. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Georgia Title Questions

Other than the info from here you should be able to find out what you need online from the GA dept of motor vehicles
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I am about to give my son a 1930 model A that I have partly put together from swap meet parts. Thus I do not have a title for it. Just a bill of sale for various parts. My question is: Are titles required for registation or proof of ownership in Georgia? Perhaps the better question is how does one go about getting these credentials in Georgia for a constructed vehicle:? I am not in Georgia. Will he have any major problems registering it, etc. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance
This should give you a good start;

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA
Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
1937pickup

My experience with Georgia is cars over 20 years (?) are sold on a bill of sale only. I don't think you will have any problems. You may need to get the State Police out to make sure the car is not stolen. I live in Minnesota and purchased a car (1964 Chevelle) from Georgia that came with a bill of sale only. I did a lot of research on Georgia motor vehicle laws after I tried to register the car in Minesota. You should see the hoops Minnesota makes you jump through to get a title. Their first step is to treat honest citizens as criminals and make it harder from there.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Is there any way to get it registered in Texas before you send it to Georgia??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
ronn

Georgia is far easier then TX, and TX is pretty easy. Yes, only a bill of sale and you register in GA.
No titles as previously mentioned. As said, read up on the dmv site, have your son offer as little info as possible when going to dmv and dont say the car is reconstructed, as you will open up a can of worms with inspections and safety issues. He should just state that he wants to register the car as an antique and that his Dad gave it to him as a gift.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
wayne1953

really easy in Ga.. state patrol comes out and looks it over to verify it is not stolen or made of stolen parts signs a form you take it to the county DMV 25 bucks and it tagged and ready to go... retagged mine after 30 years not title
required back then took one phone call and a half day off work.
wayne1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
James Rogers

GA does not title cars over 10 years old, they are sold with a bill of sale and with insurance a tag can be obtained. I have gotten titles for several cars with a GA bill of sale notarized and an affidavit of ownership from the seller.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Dusty

Just registered my 30 coupe and they did not want the title. They registered the car and I got plates, car is still titled in WV. However I was really screwed over on the rest of my modern vehicles. Had to pay sells tax all over again based on current value. It was a 3000.00 bill!!!!!

Unable to sit in GA.

Dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
johndeere_40

I took my bill of sale to the local tag office in the County where I reside in Georgia and was told that I could no longer get a tag with a bill of sale. Rather, I would have to get a T22B Form filled out by a Georgia Law Enforcement Officer certifying the 1930 Model A had no VIN # plate on the vehicle, not surprising in that it did not have one 84 years ago. I sent the form, my bill of sale, and a form T-128 which is a Request for a Replacement Serial Plate to the Georgia Dept. of Revenue. I was told that i would receive a Serial Plate that would then be affixed to the car permanently. A second inspection would be necessary whereby an officer could then certify the car DID HAVE a plate affixed. With this form in hand, I was told I could get a tag. The entire package was RETURNED to me (floating in the USPS system for 25 days) because I DID NOT include a photo. I have resubmitted the package (with a photo) in hopes that eventually I get the car tagged. It has been a nightmare!
johndeere_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
jrhoa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
I did a lot of research on Georgia motor vehicle laws after I tried to register the car in Minnesota. You should see the hoops Minnesota makes you jump through to get a title. Their first step is to treat honest citizens as criminals and make it harder from there.
This makes me nervous. I also live in Minnesota and just today I took possession of my new '29 tudor project that was gifted to me. I have no bill of sale yet and there is no title for it. I found the engine number but I was not able to locate the frame number. I am hoping that with a little sandpaper and a wire brush, I will be able to locate it.

In the next week or two, I plan to go down to the DMV to see what it will take to get it titled in my name. Mrs. Lorraine told me that her father had gone through the hoops to get it bonded, but he never finished it before he passed. I hope she still has the paperwork he started. Maybe it will help me get a title.

Any tips or advise you could give me to help me title my new '29, I would greatly appreciate.
jrhoa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
ronn

I took my bill of sale to the local tag office in the County where I reside in Georgia and was told that I could no longer get a tag with a bill of sale.

sometimes it pays to hit more then one dmv office............ had to do that in NJ
and the 3rd one was the charm!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
1937pickup

JRHOA2

I would not go to one of the stand alone/privately owned license places. Go to the county court house. One of the stand alone places said I was out of luck and could not license the car in Minnesota. You will need to sign a form indemnifying the State of Minnesota, a 2 (?) year bond for 2.5 times the value of the car and pictures of the car. The bond is not very expensive and your insurance agent may be able to help. The price of the bond told me the risks were low, insurance companies give away nothing and the price for the bond reflects the risks. You title will be stamped bonded. It can be done, go to county DMV as a start.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote