Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2021, 03:08 PM   #1
Garcia

Default I'm not a Model A person

Thanks to all the people who helped me with my engine problem, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a Model A person. There are too many variables, and I can't keep up with them all.

My last old car was a 1952 Buick. I had to do a lot of work on it, but once I had the brakes finished, I could drive it all around for a hundred miles at a time with no problems and without being part of an organized tour. My friend has a 1956 Cadillac, and he spends his time driving it rather than working on it. That's the way I would like it.

I hadn't thought about it before, but some people like owning a car that requires membership in a club, and some people like just owning a car. I'm in the latter group.

Thanks again for all your help, and if anybody's interested in a 1931 Deluxe Roadster, let me know.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: I'm not a Model A person

Well I definitely understand your position as I have known others like yourself in a similar scenario. The likely issue is you purchased a car that you were told was Restored, however in reality, it probably wasn't, ...and now that is affecting your joy. You must remember however, the Model-A was VERY reliable when it was new, ...and can be when it is properly and thoroughly restored to be like it was when new. A 1956 Cadillac can be a unreliable car just like a worn Model-A can, ...so it really isn't that you aren't a Model-A guy, its more than you are a poor soul that was mislead on what you were purchasing. None the less, best wishes and hopefully you will find a better quality vehicle to enjoy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
WHN

That’s why there is a menu at restaurants.

There are many different reasons someone wants a specific antique or classic car.

Find one you like and enjoy it. Good luck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
psimet

I get it.

I have been working on my 28 for a long time without even remotely trying to start it. I'm afraid I much prefer working on cars than driving them.

I was that way with racing bicycles. I was always a much better mechanic than a racer. Now I am a professional mechanic and wheel builder. I'd rather turn a wrench than ride.

Luckily we all need all types to keep it going.

Wish I could afford to buy and house another car....
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Oldgearz

Took my honeymoon in a 1950 straight eight when I was 20. I always enjoyed parking in it more than driving it!
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
700rpm

Diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks. If you want to just dispose of that troublesome ol’ Model A, I’ll take it off your hands and even haul it away for a nominal fee.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 06-16-2021 at 09:53 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
Garcia

I'm actually hoping I can sell the thing, but I'm almost nearing the level of frustration where I would pay somebody to take it away.

I feel like Mick Jagger:

Nothin' I do don't seem to work,
It only seems to make matters worse.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I don't do convoys or clubs, I built mine to drive in traffic anytime I want.. double the power of a stock A, overdrive and a few other goodies..12v,modern LED lighting,f100 steering, modern radials, cast iron drums with Teds floaters and woven shoes..it can compete in CA traffic.. hop up that roadster, enjoy it..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
Patrick L.

Hmm, too bad. The Model A is a good reliable vehicle, but, like anything does require some work/maintenance. They can be difficult to drive until used to them. However, I do enjoy working on it when needed.

I drive the heck out of mine and don't even know of a local club.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
GeneBob

Sorry to see a new owner give up on the ol' Ford. Once you get the problems worked out, they tend to be pretty fun. If they were inherently unreliable, they wouldn't be here 90 years later. On the other hand, they are 90+ years old and not all that comfortable. I wish you all the best.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
Slowmotoring

I feel your pain. I am also new to model a’s but have found this website to be extremely helpful! I think i just about have my car sorted. I think.... I understand the thought of wanting a more modern car, but nothing is saying the next car is going to be road ready either. I have had many frustrations with my car but i cant imagine a car being easier to work on than the model a. Yes, some of us need some guidance in what direction to look but its doable! Your car looks great! Just need to get some bugs worked out. I think its great that you want to drive the cars though! Either direction you choose, good luck.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
burner31

They do take a might bit of maintenance.
And that can take a lot your time and drive you little crazy...but not me...
no surrey buddy, nope...not at all, got both eyes on the ball...sane as ever...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (17.5 KB, 25 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #13
daren007

Required two engine rebuilds but now I hardly ever open the hood.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #14
Ranchero50

Thumbs up Re: I'm not a Model A person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I'm actually hoping I can sell the thing, but I'm almost nearing the level of frustration where I would pay somebody to take it away.

I feel like Mick Jagger:

Nothin' I do don't seem to work,
It only seems to make matters worse.
There's a learning curve that once you get over it becomes little of an issue. Maybe step back from it for a week or two and reassess. Purdy car and you'll enjoy it once you are comfortable with it.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #15
fordwife

I'm interested, what's your price? I live about 160 miles from you. 509- 670-0408. I would bring cash and a trailer.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #16
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I drive the heck out of mine and don't even know of a local club.
So what do you do when your engine dies after 90 seconds and you've done all the steps in the troubleshooting book?
Old 06-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #17
jayvee34

I understand Mr. Garcia. I just did it in reverse. I have owned and built dozens of cars,
mostly street rods. I took my Model A in trade for a 1940 Mercury sedan. I now just want to slow down and drive a slow car and enjoy working on it when needed. I don't belong to a club and don't plan on a tour, Just a cruise-in from time to time.
Best wishes.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #18
woofa.express

Quote:
Thanks to all the people who helped me with my engine problem, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a Model A person. There are too many variables, and I can't keep up with them all.

My last old car was a 1952 Buick. I had to do a lot of work on it, but once I had the brakes finished, I could drive it all around for a hundred miles at a time with no problems and without being part of an organized tour. My friend has a 1956 Cadillac, and he spends his time driving it rather than working on it. That's the way I would like it.

I hadn't thought about it before, but some people like owning a car that requires membership in a club, and some people like just owning a car. I'm in the latter group.

Thanks again for all your help, and if anybody's interested in a 1931 Deluxe Roadster, let me know.

I'm a bit like you Garcia. I don't like oil or grease or spanners. (I enjoy good dirt, not mud so much but dust is okay). I enjoy driving my A's and have a reputation for keeping motor cars and aeroplanes going with the minimum of maintenance. I also get considerable pleasure from simply seeing them in my garage.
Don't ever sell your A, it is the most simple car you could ever have.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #19
jm29henry

Can’t you find some good help ,join your local model a club ! Model ware quite reliable
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
CWPASADENA

Quote:
So what do you do when your engine dies after 90 seconds and you've done all the steps in the troubleshooting book?
These cars were very reliable when they were new and there is no reason that they can not be made to be as reliable today. There has to be a reason that you are having this problem and it is most likely something very simple. Sometimes it takes a little more understanding of the car than what is covered in the repair manuals. Are you involved with a Model A club in your area. Usually, there are several members who are very good at diagnosing and help with fixing a problem such as you are having.

I did a complete restoration my self on a '30 Tudor that I have been driving for about 12 years now. I have about 17K miles on it with very few problems. I would not hesitate to start out cross country in it.

I have purchased 2 other Model A's that had been previously restored, both I would not want to get more than walking distance from my shop when I first drove them but after some sorting our and correcting some poor work done by others, both became very reliable cars.

All my Model A's are close to what they were when they left the factory, even down to the original 6 volt electrical system with a generator. I can let my cars sit for several months and they will start right up and are ready to go. I have not done anything special to make my cars reliable.

If you lived near by, I would take your car and straighten it out for you.

My opinion,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 06-16-2021 at 10:16 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote