Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2024, 07:32 PM   #1
modularman12

Default Borg Warner Overdrive Slip Yoke

Greetings Fellow Ford Fans. I have a '55 Customline with the 272 backed by the Borg Warner R-10 overdrive. I recently had a failure where it decided to spit the tailshaft seal and bushing out. Upon further inspection, it turns out the driveshaft slip yoke had some damage on it that caused it to catch the bushing and pull it out. I decided to pull the trans and have it rebuilt since I had no idea how many miles it had on it. After the rebuild, I had a new driveshaft with fresh u-joints built for it. That having been said, when I install the driveshaft now, it doesn't slide in and out as it should. It literally requires hammers blows to get it in or out (which is obviously not correct). Does anyone have an original slip yoke for one of these transmissions with a 31 spline tooth count? Has anyone else experienced similar issues as I have had? I am willing to buy one from anyone willing to part with one.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you guys might have.
modularman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:02 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Borg Warner Overdrive Slip Yoke

Who did the driveshaft - he may have the slip yokes. My local driveshaft guy has them.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:07 PM   #3
Gene F

Some yokes have a small hole up under the U-joint to keep the thing from getting air-bound when going in and out.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:48 PM   #4
miker98038

Since your talking about hammering it in, do you think it’s hanging up on the tailshaft bushing? As opposed to the seal? Kind of assumes the output shaft and yoke worked before. Either way, I’d be talking to the rebuilder. Could be a wrong bushing, or could be a ream to fit deal, and it wasn’t? Did he have the yoke when he did the rebuild?
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:12 PM   #5
fordor41

I'd pull the tailshaft housing off and try the slip yoke. If it fits bushing is correct and then I'd try it on the output shaft. It may be the wrong slip joint inner splines.. should slide in easily without hammering.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:30 AM   #6
miker98038

fordor41 has the right answer. But it it’s out you might try some dykem and put it back in 1/2” or so. That might show where it’s interfering. Just a thought if the transmission is back in the car. But it might not save pulley it anyway.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:51 AM   #7
Mac VP

I question the 31 spline count on the slip yoke. All of the Ford light duty 3 speed transmissions, including the R10 overdrive, had 16 splines on the output shaft.

For the slip yoke to slide on smoothly at first, then jam up, suggests a problem with the bushing that is installed in the tail housing. There have been some bushings made that were not the correct diameter. Sometimes a bit of reaming or honing will get you a nice fit. You really need the slip yoke on hand to check the installed fit.

If the slip yoke just barely slides onto the output shaft splines before jamming tight, it’s possible that the shaft is twisted. I had this happen to me on a rebuild job years ago. After checking everything out I ended up pulling the unit apart and comparing the customers mainshaft to another one we had. His had twisted just enough to prevent the slip yoke from sliding on easily. This issue cost me several hours of my shop time to figure out and replace the part. I now ALWAYS test fit a slip yoke on the customer’s shaft before I proceed to install it.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:44 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The T85 with R11 overdrive is different since it is heavier duty. Later units from the 60s & early 70s have a nodular case and can be used with larger FE engines like the 390. I don't know much of anything about the T86 OD transmissions.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:28 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Borg Warner Overdrive Slip Yoke

Quote:
...when I install the driveshaft now, it doesn't slide in and out as it should. It literally requires hammers blows to get it in or out (which is obviously not correct).

I wonder why it is called a slip-yoke?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote