Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2023, 08:29 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default How to lean mixture on '47 V8

My sparkplugs have dry black powder on them which, I believe, is from a too rich mixture. The only way I can think of to lean it out and clean up the plugs is to replace the jets with slightly smaller ones.

Any other ways?
Old 11-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #2
cadillac512

Default Re: How to lean mixture on '47 V8

If your float level is correct and the power valve isn't leaking then yes, jets are the way to lean it. Generally a jet two numbers smaller is a good place to start...say from 50 to a 48.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #3
51woodie

I had an over rich problem with the carb on my '46, 59ab, that I couldn't sort out. After a lot of troubleshooting with no success, I sent the carb and my pump to Charlie in NY. He found that all was good, except someone at one point in time, drilled the jets oversize. I would have never found that, as I trusted the number on the jets. The plugs are now a nice light tan.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:44 PM   #4
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
I had an over rich problem with the carb on my '46, 59ab, that I couldn't sort out. After a lot of troubleshooting with no success, I sent the carb and my pump to Charlie in NY. He found that all was good, except someone at one point in time, drilled the jets oversize. I would have never found that, as I trusted the number on the jets. The plugs are now a nice light tan.

IMHO, the starting point is knowing whether or not you have a near perfect stock carb. There is so much wear, warping, slightly incorrect parts etc. that can creep into a carb over 80 years that unless you start with a nearly perfect carb as a real professional like Charlie in NY could attest to, you're really just guessing. So many things could be wrong that an amateur like myself would never catch.

When I bought my car 2 years ago it had a single Holley 94. I rebuilt it myself, just a simple rebuild kit, but never could get it to run right. I replaced it with a new UK Stromberg 97 and it was like putting a new engine in the car, it ran perfect. Later I replaced that with a pair of Stromberg 81's. It took me a year to get those running right. I fiddled around with everything and finally replaced the throttle shafts with oversized parts that compensated for wear. That finally fixed things up. That may not be your fundamental problem, and probably isn't, but I'm just saying that an 80 year old carb could have a lot of hidden issues that are bigger than a simple rebuild kit, adjustments or jetting.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 11-08-2023 at 10:52 PM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote