Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Degreasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
If you use a car wash, don't forget to clean up after yourself! Spend a few extra quarters! I see the car washes in my area have signs forbidding the washing of engines and parts, no doubt because of greasy messes left behind.
yea ours have that for lawnmowers and atvs. Owner says its now just the mess in the bay its the drain and drain pit they have to scoop out ... Maybe use one of the home units even the electric ones work pretty good and are $70. Uses standard garden hose as water supply.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #22
ian Simpson

I forgot to add to my original response: I have hot water in my garage and use that in my pressure washer for stubborn messes.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #23
Big hammer

Ok petroleum products work very good at cleaning! BUT are very dangerous to use and expensive, what do you do with the remaining gunk! I like and use Simple Green, buying it in gallon cantainer and mix it with water. Heavy gunk = more Simple Green, cleaning windows or car bodies, more water than Simple Green. Spray it on,let it set and due its job, go back and spray it on again, stirred up with a stiff brush, wash it down with water in a garden hose! Sumtimes a second treatment maybe needed!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

See my reply in #7. Last summer was the first time I did an engine using oven cleaner, and 2 cans at Dollar Tree cost $2. This did such an excellent job with little work, that I'd not consider any other method. In fact if EPA finds out this stuff works so well, they are sure to get rid of it.

I connected my garden hose to the laundry tub hot water, and had my air compressor blow gun standing by so I could rinse it and quickly blow dry the engine before it started to rust. Try it, you'll like it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:02 AM   #25
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
See my reply in #7. Last summer was the first time I did an engine using oven cleaner, and 2 cans at Dollar Tree cost $2. This did such an excellent job with little work, that I'd not consider any other method. In fact if EPA finds out this stuff works so well, they are sure to get rid of it.

I connected my garden hose to the laundry tub hot water, and had my air compressor blow gun standing by so I could rinse it and quickly blow dry the engine before it started to rust. Try it, you'll like it.
That I will try as soon as I return to the u.s.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote