Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Max Speed of a Model A in Stock Form

I think I read someplace that a Model A was able to do 60 MPG in stock form when new. I was wondering just how fast have you been able to get your stock Model A. If you have an overdrive please let me know the percentage overdrive your using.

I have been sorting out my 29 Phaeton and I now can say she is in good mechanical shape so I decided to test my max speed. Using a GPS Speedometer I was able to get her up to 57 MPH. This is without an overdrive and the car felt good. Before anyone points out this is bad for the engine please note this was a test and I held 57 for no more than a minute on a back country road.

I have a Mitchell 26% overdrive on order so that would put me around 71.8 MPH floored. I would never go that fast but I would like to drive 55/60 when needed without blowing up my engine. My test confirmed that my Model A is stable at that speed and could do 55mph all day long with an overdrive.

Thanks for the comments.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-11-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
Richard in Anaheim CA

Default Re: Max Speed of a Model A in Stock Form

Henry said they would all go 65 mph and if everything is in perfect shape and spark advanced they generally will but not for hours on end.

With your 26% Mitchell 2000 rpm is just about 60 mph so at 55 mph in OD you could drive all day long.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
Henry said they would all go 65 mph and if everything is in perfect shape and spark advanced they generally will but not for hours on end.

With your 26% Mitchell 2000 rpm is just about 60 mph so at 55 mph in OD you could drive all day long.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Come to think of it I did not adjust the spark advance past half way so maybe I need to try the test once more. Do you think a HC head would be a good idea with the Mitchell Overdrive?

Ron
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 AM   #4
GeneBob

Just adding overdrive will not necessarily get you where you want to be. Your top speed and cruising speed will be limited by your engine torque. If you want to go 55-60 all day, you will need to increase the compression of your engine. The increase in compression will pretty directly increase you torque output. I have run a Snyder's 6:1 and switched to a Lion III head but I am chasing 60-65 mph cruising. You would probably be happy with 5.0 to 5.5:1 compression. The engine will wake up a little but it will not cause long term issues.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:41 AM   #5
woofa.express

I have a Mitchell 26% overdrive on order so that would put me around 71.8 MPH floored. I would never go that fast but I would like to drive 55/60 when needed without blowing up my engine. My test confirmed that my Model A is stable at that speed and could do 55mph all day long with an overdrive.

Thanks for the comments.

Ron[/QUOTE]
Just hope you are able to pull it up in a hurry if necessary at those speeds.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:44 AM   #6
woofa.express

Do keep in mind that there are more lies told about the yields of crops, the size of fish especially the ones that got away and the speeds of Model A's

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #7
springerpete

Perhaps you should think about your brakes and steering at 65 mph let alone the kids on bikes and animals in the road. I like 35-40 and enjoying the scenery, waves and smiles from other folks on the road.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Perhaps you should think about your brakes and steering at 65 mph let alone the kids on bikes and animals in the road. I like 35-40 and enjoying the scenery, waves and smiles from other folks on the road.
I couldn’t agree more ! Common sense should prevail !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #9
KGBnut

Mine will do 65, but it is not a pleasant experience. I've only done it once. I felt like I wasn't fully in control, like pushing a racecar to the edge of the envelope. I wouldn't do it again.

I will occasionally hit 50, but only for short spurts. I seem to have a sweet spot at about 47 where she just settles in and feels just right.

Ken
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #10
Dean Lemoine

I agree totally with Springerpete: Think about a panic stop at that sort of speed.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #11
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Do keep in mind that there are more lies told about the yields of crops, the size of fish especially the ones that got away and the speeds of Model A's
I can think of many other things that some of us will also exaggerate the size of.

It’s not how fast you can go, it’s being safe getting there.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #12
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I have a modified car, the engine develops about double the power of stock, mitchell OD, modern radial tires on 16" wheels,f100 steering box, woven shoes, cast iron drums, Teds. friction shocks all four corners, removed 3 leaves from rear spring...

Driving a model a over 65 mph is uncomfortable, regardless of how tight everything is. Wide foot print modern radials on 16" wheels allow the car to handle ride and stop better. With the improved mechanical system and tires I use stopping the car is a matter of pedal pressure, no skidding on panic stops. Cant imagine running stock 21" wheels and bias ply tires north of 45 mph.. you will find yourself in trouble in traffic. The removed leaves and friction shocks compensate for a 31" rear wheel diameter, the combination softens the ride and can be adjusted for the feel, suspension condition and response is important for high speed driving as well. The easiest thing to do is bolt on engine power, properly restoring and tuning the chassis is the important part.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
Steves46

I have owned my Model A Coupe for a little over 2 years now and have learned quickly that going speeds excess of 50 mph (with fenders) on a windy day can cause a little turbulance. I definatley have both hands on the wheel.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #14
old31

Yes, you would benefit greatly by adding a 6.1 to just an overdrive. Hills become much easier to navigate.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post

Thanks for the comments.

Ron
Just hope you are able to pull it up in a hurry if necessary at those speeds.[/QUOTE]

My Brakes are in very good shape so that's not a concern. If they were bad I would not even be driving the car until fixed.

Ron
Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #16
Jim Mason

https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

65mph = 2663rpm

Max rpm? ford stop testing at 2800.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #17
nkaminar

In the 60's I drove a stock 1930 coupe and had it up to 65 mph for about half an hour. Usual cruising speed was 55. The rear end was 3.74:1 and it had the stock 19 inch tires.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine View Post
I agree totally with Springerpete: Think about a panic stop at that sort of speed.

I guess I am not following your logic on this. I don't drive my modern cars at 65 mph speeds in neighborhoods where kids are on bikes, -or animals in the road. I drive 60 mph when I have the proper conditions like divided highways or Interstates where kids and their pets are not allowed -and where I can see for a distance. And FWIW, I promise that if I am traveling at 60 mph alongside a loaded semi-truck, I can panic stop my Model-A faster than what the semi driver can stop his rig. Come on guys, just because not all restored Model-As can do this does not mean every Model-A should be placed into a 40 mph category!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #19
Bob Bidonde

When I setup my Model "B" engine for touring, it must be able to make my Model "A" go 70 mph initially, but I do not drive at this speed. 70 mph is a road test target to assure that my Model "B" engine is doing everything is should be. As for the Model "A" engine, 65 mph is my target test speed. Typically, my highway cruising speed is 50 - 55 mph. On country roads, I generally cruise at 45 - 50 mph.

If the brakes in your Model "A" cannot lockup all 4 wheels and skid straight, you should not be driving it on public roads.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #20
TerryH

I have a 1930 Town Sedan, with the 5.5 head and Mitchell 26% OD. My steering is quite tight, with no play, I have good stock brakes and tires. I have done several tours on our freeways, and find a very comfortable cruising speed for both the car and myself to be 55-60 mph. I’ve done 65 briefly, but feel that is pushing it. I stay in the right lane and don’t follow anyone closely, and my A tracks very nicely....but good steering is a must. We also have local hiways that I will also go 55-60 on quite comfortably. With the Mitchell I also agree with adding a high compression head.....mine will pull the OD up modest hills.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote