Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
MSmelcer40

Default 1940 Ford 1/2 ton restoration sequence?

How do you all figure out when to disassemble the truck or leave it together. I'm figuring on a 3-4 year 800-1200 hr restoration. My question is I'm so excited to get started but don't want to tear it apart for the sake of just tearing it apart.My shop is 14x28 so I'm thinking I can do alot of paint removal and dent repair while its still together. My truck only has a little rust.i may pull the engine and Trans and put it on a stand.Dont misunderstand ill get it down to the frame but don't know where to start.ive researched alot and seen it done several ways.how would you do it?
MSmelcer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
HD Rider

Default Re: 1940 Ford 1/2 ton restoration sequence?

I saved coffee cans for years. I started at the back and worked my way forward taking it apart putting all fasteners in a can and labeling it. Reassemble the way the factory did. Start with the frame and build a truck.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmelcer40 View Post
How do you all figure out when to disassemble the truck or leave it together. I'm figuring on a 3-4 year 800-1200 hr restoration. My question is I'm so excited to get started but don't want to tear it apart for the sake of just tearing it apart.My shop is 14x28 so I'm thinking I can do alot of paint removal and dent repair while its still together. My truck only has a little rust.i may pull the engine and Trans and put it on a stand.Dont misunderstand ill get it down to the frame but don't know where to start.ive researched alot and seen it done several ways.how would you do it?
I believe there are a number of guys that visit this Barn that have "been there, done that". I'm quite certain any of them would need to know a bit more before offering any sound advice.
Such as:
How do you define "restoration"? From my experience, very few folks understand what "restoration" actually means. Just a quick look through the sale ads and that becomes quite obvious. So, just what is your end game? Nice driver? Modified? Concourse?
Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
MSmelcer40

Kube, my end game is to restore it to nice driver car show truck.It certainly deserves a frame off.The motor is a 49.its almost rust free but does have issues with the bed fwd corners and pass cab corner
Old 04-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
FortyNiner

Kube's questions are spot on.

A disassembled vehicle takes up about 3x the space verses a one piece unit. The disassembly is almost free and really quick. Don't take anything apart unless you have a place to hold it and a reason. Buy a pile of ziploc bags - gallon size worked well for me - for parts. Label everything. Take pictures of everything. Organize everything. Don't expect that you'll remember anything about how stuff came apart. Enjoy the journey.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
MSmelcer40

Thanks FortyNiner.great advice
Old 04-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
HD Rider

Yes, lots of pictures so you remember how everything goes back together.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmelcer40 View Post
Kube, my end game is to restore it to nice driver car show truck.It certainly deserves a frame off.The motor is a 49.its almost rust free but does have issues with the bed fwd corners and pass cab corner
Okay, thanks for the clarification.
I disassemble every vehicle at one time down to the last nut and bolt. To this day, I still take photos. If this is your first restoration, I'd suggest you take a LOT of photos. Don't leave anything to memory.
Label anything that is not self evident as to what it is.
Keep the fasteners securely with the respective part they came from.

I would suggest you take a good inventory of anything and everything you may need to put this vehicle back together. Then, and as soon as possible, begin acquiring those pieces. Do NOT wait until you need them.

When the vehicle is completely disassembled and to keep you motivated (it can get overwhelming at times) you can move to a different subassembly should the one you are currently working on get too frustrating at the moment or you simply need a piece to keep that part moving forward.

Having another assembly to work on may help you in a couple of ways. As I'd mentioned, it will keep you motivated as even though one assembly is momentarily on hold, you can see another moving forward. Progress induces the desire for more progress.
Also, when you get toward the final assembly, it is very rewarding to have all of the subassemblies done and all you need to is gather them.

I tend to ship out any work I am unable to do promptly. I no longer have access to the requisite machines to rebuild an engine so the engine gets sent out right away.
Need new glass? Get it to the local shop now.
The bottom line here is you don't want to be held up by some clown that promised "two months and it'll be done". Many of these guys operate in a different dimension where "two months" can mean anything from two months to three years.

By the time I have my body and paint done, my chassis is ready to place the fresh body down. Also, each and every part (sans the inevitable piece or two I'd overlooked) is in a box, cataloged and ready for me to simply grab and install.

That's my basic take on things. As you may have read in to my advice, I worry about folks that are new to this and have offered my advice with an underlying sense to maintain your enthusiasm. Many, many of them started with the best intentions and got little further than the disassembly.
I have looked at and purchased many of these projects that have sat for, in some cases, decades.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
blucar

Some very good advise has been passed on in this thread, so I'll keep my comments to a minimum.
I have found that the average novice rebuilder makes the mistake that he can buy new replacement nuts, bolts. washers and misc hardware items therefore the fastener's get discarded. Wrong! I save, and bag every piece, only discarding same when the project is complete.
Good intentions are like arm pits, everybody has them. Garages, backyards and wrecking yards are full of miss-guided dreams.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
37 truck

Plan ahead and take your time. I started my 37 truck project in 2005, I tore it all apart and catalogued every part. My taste and plans have changed during the time I have worked on the truck. Luckily I have a 30 x 60 shop so the truck spreads out everywhere. As of 2021 the painted cab is back on the completed chassis with all the running gear and engine. Glass, electrical. fenders, running boards, interior and box all still to go! Hang in there...
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
bobH

Good posts here.... In addition, I'd suggest studying a few previous threads that have appeared here from time to time. Examples... Kube's threads showing his progress on his 40's. These are very impressive, with progress details. Another thread... One posted by 1stford (I think), that details his restoration of a 36 pickup. Just opinion...
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

Start at either end. Remove a part and tie it on a string. remove another part and tie it on the same string. Continue that sequence until you have removed all parts, then start reinstalling the parts on the string in the order in which they were removed. Voila. Job completed.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #13
HD Rider

The only thing I can add is to come here often for advice, help, and motivation.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
Kube

In my post (#8) I hope I'd expressed my concern of keeping a person motivated.
There is a HUGE difference in "take your time" and not doing anything to your truck for years on end.
I take my time when restoring a vehicle but keep at it. And yes, there are things like "life" that can and do get in the way of the best made plans. Still, if you want to actually get this truck back on the road vs. looking at a pile of parts, well... go read post #8 again.

HD Rider has offered (in my opinion) some great advice in his post, #13.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #15
38coop

Sometimes we forget about everyday life that can slow a project down. We have good intentions but appointments , your job , vacations , lawn work all get in the way.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
MSmelcer40

Thanks to all of you that gave me inspiration to get this resto started. This is going to be fun.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #17
MSmelcer40

Kube,Lube, never thanked you for your in depth reply to my restoration sequence question.....Thank you..
Old 12-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
1939mars

I don't have nearly the experience of some folks on here - I've only disassembled 2 vehicles ever. But, some things I found really worked for me in addition to baggies for small parts that were mentioned, were merchandise tags for larger parts and wire harness connections. Everything that came off got its own picture and a bag or tag number (bXXXXX or tXXXXX). In the evening when I was done the pictures were downloaded and bag/tag numbers were put into a spreadsheet with the name of the corresponding picture(s) and a description. I was able to then use the spreadsheet to keep track of my progress - orders of new parts, what had been farmed out and to where, etc.

Attached is an image of tagging connectors and the spreadsheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (75.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg x00112-Instrument_harness.jpeg (60.6 KB, 29 views)
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #19
Brian

The only advice I can offer is to do something every day, even if it is only cleaning up a nut and bolt...the important thing is to keep the impetus going. Some days lots of progress occurs, other days not so much, but once you have a day off, the rot starts to set in....it is really a matter of self motivation. Only you can do it.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:44 AM   #20
tomcarman

Some may find this bit of advice archaic but it works for me. I had a professor in college (my major was architecture and minor was structural engineering) that advised: If you want to remember something for the future then sketch it by hand. Mundane nuts and bolts are easily bagged, tagged and photographed but the more complex things in addition to being documented will spur your memory during reassembly if you also sketch them WITH NOTES in a cheapo sketch book. If you draw something you put much more thought into its composition than merely photographing it and much more likely to recall its position in the whole. I'm not saying do this with every little item, just the things you feel may trip you up later.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote