Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #21
Beater

Default Re: 1cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56markII View Post
Since I have a Canadian 1950 Mercury and not a Monarch (yet) 1949 and 50 Canadian Mercury in both the Mercury and Monarch flavors had heads with C8CM with Made In Canuckastan casted directly below. In 1951 our heads had C1CM and the same casted comment below made in Canuck
American 1949-50 had 8CM and 1951 1CM and I suppose I have an American 1951 core in my hoard as it has 1CM on the heads.
My transmission also being a Canadian Borg Warner with OD has the same part number as the American parts manual BUT has a C in front of the part or casting number.
The additional C in the model and part number indicates Canadian or perhaps Complicated
Oh and our trucks also had 8RT heads, both in Ford and Mercury trucks. I have seen a number of them over the years as well. Who the heck knows about the Mercury and 255 but anything is possible? My father used to have a 1952 Mercury M7 3 ton and it is unknown to me what it had under the hood because he sold it over 40 years ago. In the owners manual I was surprised with the engine options! The flathead V8 of course, a 317.5 Lincoln engine and this was the same year it was offered in Lincoln replacing the 337 flathead and to my surprise a Diesel engine as well, possibly a Detroit??
I will dig around and see if I still have the manual which would be hard to find now being a Canadian Mercury truck.

One thing is for sure is the Meteors in the same time period and up to 1954 had the 255 in them quite often. I had a 1954 Meteor and it had the 255.
i actually have a 51 merc M7 with the 317 in it
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #22
bobH

Back to the original question... merc 4-in? Since you say you run it up, that means it's not stuck. So, pull a plug, and measure the stroke. I think it might have been Ron that posted long ago, regarding using a large zip tie (or other flexible 'something', like a cable.) I'll let others elaborate. Should be able to tell if it's 3.75 or 4.00
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:19 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Not a betting man, but I'm hoping the zip tie says it's a 255. That truck that it's in is already a hotrod. Put a license plate on it (or not) and run it into town on a Saturday night. What could possibly go wrong?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #24
deuce5wndw

Put a ramp bed on it and haul your hot rod!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #25
rotorwrench

I don't think an accurate measure can be taken with the heads on. The tie strap is generally used to find TDC on #1 cylinder. The crankshaft counterweight measurement across the cheek is a good way other wise pull a head and measure from TDC to BDC.

The F6 we had back in the day had a 239 CID engine but it wasn't made in Canada either. The F7 & F8 Big Jobs all either had the Lincoln 337 till 1952 then they had the 279 CID or 317 CID big Y-blocks in F7/F8 or F700/F800 respectively till 1956.

Ford of Canada always did things differently so the larger F5 & F6 Ford trucks may have also had the 255 available to them. This is not common in the US. All the F1 through F6 Ford trucks I've worked on had 239 CID engines with 8RT heads.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #26
tubman

Since this is said to be an original truck with an untouched engine, the combination of 1CM heads and a three-bolt carburetor has always bothered me. How about this scenario? The trucks had lower compression heads (8RT) than the cars (8BA). Maybe they ran out of 8RT heads and substituted 1CM units. The concurrent year Mercury's had a larger chamber because of the longer stroke. Everything turns out as it should, and the line keeps running.

Unfortunately, that would make it a 239. I think you going to have to measure it to satisfy all of the inquiring minds out there.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #27
Will D

Can you see any casting marks on the block? Like "C1BA"...if so, good chance it has a 4" crank.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #28
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
That's odd, because I thought the 317 Lincoln Y-Block didn't come out until 1952 ? It was the 337 Flathead V8 before that.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #29
5851a

A friends parents bought a new 52 F-2, he was still using it in the 70's and I ask him about the Mercury heads. He said they were on it when it was new and they were to lower compression for trucks. But it was a USA build.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #30
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
That's odd, because I thought the 317 Lincoln Y-Block didn't come out until 1952 ? It was the 337 Flathead V8 before that.

Sal
it could be a 52. it is the big OHV engine crammed in there
Old 04-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #31
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Since this is said to be an original truck with an untouched engine, the combination of 1CM heads and a three-bolt carburetor has always bothered me. How about this scenario? The trucks had lower compression heads (8RT) than the cars (8BA). Maybe they ran out of 8RT heads and substituted 1CM units. The concurrent year Mercury's had a larger chamber because of the longer stroke. Everything turns out as it should, and the line keeps running.

Unfortunately, that would make it a 239. I think you going to have to measure it to satisfy all of the inquiring minds out there.
i live in the land of mercury trucks. you are the first one ive ever heard say that the trucks didnt come with the 3 bolt 97. i have about 400 trucks lined up, and there is exactly 1 truck in the yard, mercury or ford, that doesnt have the 3 bolt carb on it

Old 04-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #32
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't think an accurate measure can be taken with the heads on. The tie strap is generally used to find TDC on #1 cylinder. The crankshaft counterweight measurement across the cheek is a good way other wise pull a head and measure from TDC to BDC.

The F6 we had back in the day had a 239 CID engine but it wasn't made in Canada either. The F7 & F8 Big Jobs all either had the Lincoln 337 till 1952 then they had the 279 CID or 317 CID big Y-blocks in F7/F8 or F700/F800 respectively till 1956.

Ford of Canada always did things differently so the larger F5 & F6 Ford trucks may have also had the 255 available to them. This is not common in the US. All the F1 through F6 Ford trucks I've worked on had 239 CID engines with 8RT heads.
yes dont forget we are talking about M6 not F6 things happened different at ford of canada allright
Old 04-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #33
Newc

Wow all those trucks! Not only was the 255 optional, but the M series 6 cyl 254" was in the mix. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:33 PM   #34
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

Sal
For US production, it was '52 when trucks got the 279 and 317 OHV engines. I would think it odd that Canadian production would have them earlier, but some states/provinces titled vehicles by year of 1st sale, not by model year.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #35
rotorwrench

As far as I know (which I will admit is limited), the Canadian trucks came from the same plant whether they were Ford or Mercury at Walkerville at least till the Oakville plant was built later.

I think what Tubman was trying to get across is that Mercury engines generally used the 4-stud Holley 885 type carb so they had a different manifold and air filter. Ford US didn't put a 3-stud model 94 on a Mercury engine for the 8BA era. They generally always used the Holley 885 to the best of my knowledge. I can't say about Canada for any certainty but it does make a person think about what they were doing there.

Mercury heads would have been comparable to truck heads for compression but they aren't the same. They are close but not the same. Trucks pulling heavy loads had to have lower compression and gearing for the engine to survive. Mercury heads were not as low a compression as truck heads but not far from it. They lowered the compression due to the increase in cubic inch displacement to keep the overall compression about the same as the 239 CID engines. This would lower the possibility of detonation under extreme loads. This is why I question the use of 1CM heads or any Mercury heads on a truck for that matter.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #36
Fortunateson

I have a '50 C8BA block that had the C8CM heads on both sides, a four bolt intake, and a Merc crank and had never been bored.
My best guess is that they were short a proper Merc block and just put all the Merc guts in to satisfy the Merc it was to be matched to as the basic block was used for both Ford and Mercs. The block came out of a Merc.

So who knows for sure what happened on the assembly line back in the day...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #37
mfirth

The 8BA in my 52 Vic had Merc heads & cam. It ran quite well . When i rebuilt it, found out it had domed pistons. I think those pistons may have helped improve performance...?
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #38
rotorwrench

I guess it depends on how high the crown of the dome is. All the Ford made 8BA pistons were domed originally. The Mercury and Ford pistons only differ by the piston pin location since they have the same con rods. The French made SUMB engines are the only exception to that rule that I'm aware of since they made a shorter con rod for their 255 CID engines.

There have been all sorts of aftermarket 8BA type pistons over the years depending on application and manufacturer. Some have a cone shape dome instead of a radius shaped dome and some were made on a different radius.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #39
36coupe

My Mercury engine still has a lot of the original green paint ECM heads 4” crank and it came with a 3 bolt manifold and a strange tower on the 3 speed that the shifter came forward up over the back of the engine.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #40
rotorwrench

Cab Over Engine (COE) trucks had a different shift tower arrangement. Maybe that's why it has the strange shape.

Another thing I wanted to mention on post 38 is that all the 8BA era blocks were basically the same. Ford Dearborn used the same casting till sometime in 1951 when they added a 1BA casting mark in the lifter valley. This designated two things. The 1BA blocks had the rotator type valves and the crankshaft had a larger bore in the back end to accept the automatic transmission torque converter.

I would not be surprised if a Canadian C8BA block had Mercury heads if it was truly an OEM Mercury 255 build but it's easy to replace the heads too. Some of the Canadian truck engines I've seen had the tan color paint but I don't know how far that went. Ford Dearborn even changed colors several times in the 8BA era depending on whether it was a Ford, Mercury, or a truck.

With Canada's separate Ford and Mercury dealer system it made for a lot of interesting differences from their US counterparts. It likely makes it hard to get parts for some of the semi-orphan models like the Comet and the Monarch cars since there were no US counterparts.