Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: 30 Coupe Cooling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
it seems like the flow through the radiator is not sufficient.
That statement puzzles me. How can the flow rate cause coolant to go out the overflow?
Old 03-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #22
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

The critter built it’s nest on the drivers side.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #23
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That statement puzzles me. How can the flow rate cause coolant to go out the overflow?
I would suspect that if the flow rate is restricted the coolant is piling up in the top tank so it goes out the overflow tube.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #24
31Tudor

I am certainly not a radiator expert by any means so sorry to cause confusion. My thought was if water is restricted from flowing through many of the tubes in the radiator, it would then reduce the transfer of heat through the fins, thus allowing the engine to run hotter, therefore allowing the water to expand more, and then as it expanded it would go through the overflow. And what Katy said sounds good! Kind of like a funnel, doesn't make any difference how much you pour in, it can only go through the bottom of the funnel at a certain rate.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I would suspect that if the flow rate is restricted the coolant is piling up in the top tank so it goes out the overflow tube.
Where does the extra water come from to pile up in the top tank? The ONLY water the pump can move comes from the bottom of the radiator and that water comes from the top of the radiator which means there will be room for it at the top no matter how restricted the core may be. The only way a "pile up" could happen is if there were extra volume added tot he coolant - say, steam from boiling or exhaust gasses entering the cooling system.
All that talk of the coolant doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to cool off properly and cut down impellor blades is lunacy IMO.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #26
BillCook

Send a message via Yahoo to BillCook

Look for bubbles when engine is running ,would indicate possiable leak from a cylinder !
BillCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #27
HD Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Where does the extra water come from to pile up in the top tank? The ONLY water the pump can move comes from the bottom of the radiator and that water comes from the top of the radiator which means there will be room for it at the top no matter how restricted the core may be. The only way a "pile up" could happen is if there were extra volume added tot he coolant - say, steam from boiling or exhaust gasses entering the cooling system.
All that talk of the coolant doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to cool off properly and cut down impellor blades is lunacy IMO.
I've heard it said that a restricted radiator flow causes the water pump to cavitate and whip foam into the coolant. I doubt this theory because without a bypass, this is exactly what a thermostat does.
I've also heard that propylene glycol based anti-freeze solutions such as Sierra do not have the same tendency to foam. I have no opinion on this as I have no comparison.
My Dad's A does foam the coolant at highway speeds (45-50mph). Driving around in town I never has a problem.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote