Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #21
mshmodela

Default Re: Rare and expensive A for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Agreed, while I can appreciate the rarity it doesnt do much for me. I would get much more personal enjoyment out of a dinged rusted faded paint patina car.

Kinda like a Winchester Model 1898 shotgun for example, most are honest use guns around $300, I'm not paying you 10X the value because its got a rare upsidedown stamping somewhere....BUT there is someone somewhere that has more money than they know what to do with and CAN buy it so just like this car it will be bought.
Like my 1925 $220 Mosin Nagant... Yeah not a K98 but still fun. Car will be sold for sure.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #22
CHuDWah

I'd much rather have one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Town Car Delivery.jpg (16.7 KB, 29 views)
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #23
Bob Johnson

The pictures do not show enough details for me to make a definitive judgment but from what I can see it is not an original Model A Towncar. The front seat is incorrect. The partition is wrong. The front door panels should not have a pocket. The wiper is not plated. The rear door garnish is incorrect. I am sure there are other issue but I can not tell without better pictures.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #24
asapguy

Many yrs. ago in the mid 60's I saw a Model A Town car parked on the street in downtown Los Angeles. I owned a nice 30 CCPU at the time. I left a note asking if they were interested in a trade. That person is probably still laughing. I didn't know they were rare at the time just thought it was neat looking. In 1971 I bought a 1935 K Lincoln V-12 with 145" WB. It only had 29K miles & I got it for $1500. It was a lot more classy & quality built then the Model A Town car but not as rare. 900 Town cars built & 1356 K Lincolns.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #25
Bob Johnson

I looked in my records and this is the car which belonged to J. Richard Alford. There was mention of it in The Restorer Vol 31 Issue 6 page 18 (March-April 1987). Here is the text of the article.

J. RICHARD ALFORD of El Centre, California only recently found his Town Car in a backyard in Tucson, Arizona. The engine had been replaced at some time with a Pinto engine and the original was nowhere to be found. There was no hood, the cowl lights were missing as were the running boards. The rear section of the body had suffered from having no roof, no upholstery, no seats and the glass in the divider section was missing. Mr. Alford has a big project ahead of him to restore this car but he is determined to do it and do it right.
An old registration found in the car shows that it was registered in Arizona on March 5, 1975 in the name of Bob Baker and gives the serial number of the car as #A 659619. When the body came off the chassis this number was confirmed as that stamped on the chassis rail. The original engine, then, was manufactured during November 1928. This agrees with a firewall date for assembly of December 10, 1928. There is no body number. No earlier history on this car is known at this time. Mr. Alford purchased this car in the fall of 1985 from Mr. Tom Fitzpatrick of Tucson, Arizona

I have not seen this car in person so I can not say for sure it was originally a Town Car. However since it was missing many of the original parts that might explain why many of the parts are not correct.

Bob

Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote