Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
Karl

Default Re: New Zealand 2017

You will enjoy the Trans Alpine Train trip . The South Island Rivers are the most incredible shade of Teal/Blue which is impossible to describe and also very difficult to catch on film. The waters are 100% pure . The West coast is very different even to most of the rest of New Zealand . In places it is very unspoilt and rugged The roads are narrower and much more bendy than the roads I suspect you are used to. The sticking to the left is something you will have to keep reminding yourself of. My experience of driving overseas is that its easy to stay on the unaccustomed side on straight roads but the bends and intersections are the big challenge . I hope you love our country -We certainly do ! -Karl

Last edited by Karl; 05-29-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Take the bus trip into Milford Sound from Te Anau.
If it's been raining you will see a lot of waterfalls falling from several thousand feet up.
The whitish blue colour of some of the rivers is due to the effect of the glaciers.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:26 AM   #23
Scottie

Hi 38 Coupe. Great to hear you are visiting us. I am on the organising committee and we have a great week organised for the convention
You will need to move quickly on accomodation as the primary venue is full but there are 3 or 4 motels close by (also filling up)Email the convenor Brendon at [email protected] and they will put you straight on to somewhere to stay.
As stated we are a pretty generous lot and won't see you out of somewhere to camp down. Wont be an issue to find a space for you for the outings.
Scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #24
38 coupe

Thanks for the feedback so far.

We have booked a hotel in the Napier area. It is across the street from the beach, which my wife likes, and it fit the budget, which we both like. We are really looking forward to the meet.

The current plan for after arriving in Greymouth is to rent a car, drive north to Punakaiki, and spend the night in the area. The next day we drive south and visit Franz Josef Glacier and maybe Fox Glacier. We don't have a specific stopping point for that day. We are planning to drive to Te Anau and on to Milford Sound. We don't have specific stopping points or schedules for these yet either. We do have our plane ride deadline to leave New Zealand. We are excited about the V8 Meet and the trip.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #25
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

If it were me I wouldn't travel north from Greymouth.
The scenery is so-so.
Head south - stay the night at Franz Josef - then continue on to Te Anau.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #26
Bassman/NZ

I live in Napier, as does Trevo. I see you have booked a hotel already, if you change your mind I too can offer accommodation. I won't be attending the event, as my flathead resides in a chopped Model A, not kosher EFV8 material! LOL!
I would love to meet up, even if only for a coffee and a yarn, so please stay in touch closer to the time.
All great advice from my fellow Kiwis, and I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time here.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #27
Karl

I have been to Punikaiki twice twenty years apart . Still yet to see the blowholes working anything like the clips on the internet . Its all related to sea and tide conditions and I have a knack of striking it wrong . I agree scenery south of Greymouth much better
What dates is the meet in Napier? I may travel over for a day or two -Karl
Old 06-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #28
tiger.1000

38....Remember that NZ is not in the USA so if you get behind a steering wheel; you're on the other side of the road and the other side of the car !

Regarding the language....it's sort of mid-way between American, Australian and English. You'll pick it up pretty quick !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #29
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
38....Remember that NZ is not in the USA so if you get behind a steering wheel; you're on the other side of the road and the other side of the car !

Regarding the language....it's sort of mid-way between American, Australian and English. You'll pick it up pretty quick !
And don't forget we use a few Maori (Te Reo) words in our everyday language too, like whanau ("far-now" = family), kai ("kye" = food), and many colloquialisms like "sweet", "choice", ""bro", and we pronounce the word "to" as "tuh".
Many others too.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #30
fordlovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I have been to Punikaiki twice twenty years apart . Still yet to see the blowholes working anything like the clips on the internet . Its all related to sea and tide conditions and I have a knack of striking it wrong . I agree scenery south of Greymouth much better
What dates is the meet in Napier? I may travel over for a day or two -Karl
Monday 9th Jan to Sat 14th.Best day's for viewing v8's Tue 10th, morning, Show and Shine and Sat 14th ,morning,Group Photo. We should get a Kiwi Barner get together for an hour or two?
fordlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 AM   #31
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlovr View Post
Monday 9th Jan to Sat 14th.Best day's for viewing v8's Tue 10th, morning, Show and Shine and Sat 14th ,morning,Group Photo. We should get a Kiwi Barner get together for an hour or two?
Ka Pai - Karl
Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #32
38 coupe

Well it is time to report back on our experience in New Zealand. We had a blast at the National V8 Meet. I really want to commend the host group for putting on the most fun V8 National meet I have been to. Our second week was also wonderful with spectacular scenery. Here are a few pictures from the V8 National.

Getting ready for the drive to the show on the first day; we got a ride in the 39 standard fordor:

A few pictures from the show at the "Sound Shell" in Napier:

The inside of the Faraday Centre we visited that afternoon:

A cute little English Ford at the British Car Museum we visited on the second day:

A lineup of vehicles outside an olive oil / avocado oil plant:

The sun coming up over Hawkes Bay:

On the third day we took a tractor ride down the beach to a Gannet (bird) colony:

We were riding along with the Cosseys in their 54 sedan after the tractor ride. They wanted to visit a scenic view in the area so we went along. It turns out "scenic" is a bit of an understatement:

Then, since it was our honeymoon, we splurged and went on a helicopter ride over Napier (many thanks to the Cosseys for getting us to and from all the activites this day):

We visited a forest on the morning of the last full day of the event:

And we have photographic evidence that the celestial powers that be favor 1953 Ford hardtop cars:

We visited a photogenic winery that afternoon:

And then had the banquet that evening (gratuitous shot of me):

The final morning all the remaining cars were lined up for a group picture:

Then we said good-by to the friends we had made (here is one of Mr. Cossey hamming it up with my wife Rae):

Again, I want to thank everyone. We had a wonderful time.

Thanks,
Fred (& Rae)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #33
38 coupe

I also want to give a special thanks to the folks who let us ride in their cars:

Al Lewis and her 1939 Standard Fordor:

Gary & Maree and their 1940 Mercury Convertible:

Brendon & Jane Lee and their 1949 "single spinner" fordor:

Bryan & Lorraine Cossey and their 1954 fordor:

I hope I get this one correct since there was more than one 51 at the meet and I am terrible with names...
Brian and Lyn Bayliss and their 1951 "twin spinner" fordor:

And the very generous Bryan Southhall who let me drive his right hand drive 1939 tonner a mile up the road and back:
Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #34
DavidG

If you've no prior experience "driving on the wrong side of the road", New Zealand is a very good place to become comfortable doing so (even in Auckland) compared to England and London, for example. It's nearly all two lane roads, but then the traffic's light and drivers are pretty well behaved. Have fun with your first roundabout!

The sales pitches of the Kiwis above are pretty much accurate and not overstated. You'll likely not regret going. On the North Island, my favorite small town is Russell on the Bay of Islands.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

38 Coupe, that sounds like the trip of a lifetime, and doing all that as part of your honeymoon makes it even more special for you and your wife.
Thanks for sharing your trip and all those great pictures, and kudos to all the New Zealand Fordbarn members who stepped up and offered to help you in all kinds of ways during your travels. Good post with a great followup report.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #36
Talkwrench

Looks like you had a blast! Must get over to the land of the long white cloud and see the cuzies , eh bro'
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 AM   #37
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If you've no prior experience "driving on the wrong side of the road", New Zealand is a very good place to become comfortable doing so (even in Auckland) compared to England and London, for example. It's nearly all two lane roads, but then the traffic's light and drivers are pretty well behaved. Have fun with your first roundabout!

The sales pitches of the Kiwis above are pretty much accurate and not overstated. You'll likely not regret going. On the North Island, my favorite small town is Russell on the Bay of Islands.
David. Russell in its's infancy of "white settlement" was known an "The hell hole of the Pacific". A town out of control, with murders, rape, unruly drinking, plenty of "soiled doves" to be had and every kind of debauterous behaviour imaginable, whalers, sailors , schisters... you name em they were there. Hard to imagine when you visit this idillic setting now. It was also to become NZs first capital.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:23 AM   #38
tiger.1000

I remember the last time I visited my daughter in Christchurch. Mt brother-in-law (Steve) picked me up from the "airfield".....I say airfield because the car park was 50 yards from the terminal. Approaching a roundabout during "rush hour" there were may six or seven cars in front of us. Steve muttered....."this place needs a f-------g bypass

That's New Zealand ....glorious !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 AM   #39
DavidG

Graeme,

Thanks for the background on Russell's notorious past; it's quite the contrast to the present.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #40
Bored&Stroked

Sounds like a fabulous trips - and you made a bunch of new friends! I've only been to NZ once, but had a wonderful time - love the country, love the people . . . only good things to say about it. Now - I need to get my arse back over there!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote