Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #101
Hoogah

Default Re: A drive around the block

Flowers on the brekkie table = rough camping?? You're doing it in STYLE, my man!!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #102
RUNNERBUN

Hello to everyone once again. Well we have arrived home after eight weeks one day and 13278km / 8250 miles on the road. Since my last report from Goondiwindi we have said googbye to my brother in the other model A. He had only 220km/137miles to go to get to his home town of Toowoomba. We (the Chev and my Model A) had another 1000km/ 621miles and three more days of travel before we got to our home town of Mackay.
Day one was a relatively short day to the small township of Wandoan where we once again camped in the grounds of the local Historical village where we enjoyed a nice quite and comfortable night. Day two was also a reasonably short day to the small village of Dululu (1 Pub and six or seven houses) where we camped in the adjacent rest area. Our night at Dululu would be our last night together so we decided to dine out at the 5 star Restaurant also known as the Dululu Hotel We did enjoy a nice meal as you would normally get in these bush Pubs.
The next morning we awoke at 5.45am and were ready to leave by 6.30 (a record) We had a distance of 420km/ 261 miles to cover to see us home. We made good time and arried safely home by 2.30 pm.
I couldn't be happyier with the performance of my Model A. As mentioned previousely my only issues were a failed fan belt and a broken starter motor Bendix spring. Both were an easy roadside fix as we were carrying spares. Only other issue was a leaking radiator, but that was due to accidental damage.

Now for the Statistics.
Trip duration 57 days
Distance Travelled 13278km / 8250 miles
Fuel consumed 1821 litres / 481.3 US Gal / 400.71 Imp Gals
Average Fuelprice AU$1.60 per litre / AU$6.06 per US Gal
Total fuel cost AU$2919.90
Fuel consumption 20.59 miles per Imp Gal / 17.14 miles per US Gal
Lowest Fuel economy 17.12 miles per Imp Gal / 14.3 miles per USGal
Best fuel economy 25.37 " " " / 21.1 " " "
I trust you have all enjoyed the ride as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to you. I have but one wish, I trust that I have inspired you to get out there and use and enjoy these wonderful vehicles that we own. Use them and maintain them and they will serve you well. They are a robust and well engineered simple car to keep maintained and they will last for many years to come. Many times during the trip on those long distances between towns I wondered if Henry and Edsel Ford ever thought that the cars they built would not only survive for 86 years but be capable of udertaking such a journey. Were they up there looking down at us with a smile on their face, saying that's one of our cars. Were they looking after us? I would like to think so.
Now I have many people to thank, first and formost my good wife, without her enthusiasm and support and love of vintage motoring this trip would never have taken place. Secondly, my travelling companions, my brother and his wife and yes, even the Chevy driver. We shared a very special experience together.
To all you Ford Barners I say thank you for your support and encouagement and well wishes. I felt and enjoyed your company all the way. Also to the many people we met along the way and the friends new and old we met at the Busselton National meet. A big thank you to the drivers of all those heavy transporters and road trains which showed us great patience when we got in their way and slowed them up.

Last of all but certainly not the least. The Ford Barn, for this wonderful forum which allowed me to share this experience.

I thank you all once again.
Pic 1 Our last momments together as a group
Pic 2 Farewell brother Joe and Trish
Pic 3 Isla Gorge
Pic 4 Our last camp out at Dululu
Pic 5 At the front of the Dululu bush pub
pic 6 We have arrived home.
Pic 7 Total mileage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1625.JPG (159.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1627 crp.jpg (95.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1634.jpg (36.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1638.JPG (141.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1642.JPG (103.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.JPG (124.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1660 crp.jpg (68.4 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 10-29-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: extra info
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #103
160B

Terry and Cheryl, thank you for the posts, they brought back a lot of memories of our travels with our friends down under. Good on ya mate!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #104
Hoogah

Thanks go to you, Runnerbun, for sharing what has obviously been an absolutely fantastic experience. I looked for your update every day (and felt strangely empty when there was none! ), shared your tribulations (not that there were many, mainly CH#V-related! ) and enjoyed your triumphs!

Synchro909 embarked on a similar trip and managed to complete the full lap (see "Long Distance Touring in an A" thread) - you possibly met up at Busselton?

We've also shared the highs and lows with OnlyBackRoads on his journey from California to Arkansas, albeit with what was a sad outcome (for now, anyway). But even that event has brought out a great sense of camaraderie within this group, and I am inspired by Sean's resilience!

What I'm trying to say is that your collective stories have left me inspired to attempt something similar in the future, and put the old girl and myself to the test (oh, and the car too! )

WELL DONE THAT MAN!

(insert extended round of applause here)
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #105
ODFever

Runnerbun - I discovered your thread through a search. I just bought my first A 3 weeks ago. I appreciate the details you outlined with each step of your journey. Thanks for keeping it up to date with each stop. I'm truly impressed by the number of miles you covered, and by the lack of mechanical troubles you experienced!! :-) You are valuable resource to me, and I would like to learn from your epic experience.

What steps did you take in planning and preparing for the trip?

Did you have communication between the 3 vehicles? If so, what did you use?

What did you do each morning to ensure your car was ready for the day's mileage?

What type of engine oil did you bring with you? How often did you change the oil?

What type of gear oil did you run in your transmission? How often did you check the level?

What kind of tires do you have on your A - bias or radials? Did the tires hold up well to all the miles, or are they in rough shape?

What tire pressure did you keep your tires set at?

Did you check the rear differential fluid at any point on your journey?

What spares did you bring? If you have a list, could you please post it here?

What is your trailer made out of - an old pickup truck bed? What kind of hitch do you have on your A? What are the dimensions? How much does it weigh empty? How much did it weigh full? (I can convert from kg to lbs.)

Was your tent a part of the trailer? Could you please take pictures of both and post more information?

What camping supplies did you bring? If you have a list, could you please post it?

Did you cook any meals on the engine while you drove? If so, what did you cook and how did it taste?

Conquering that many km in an A taught you some valuable lessons. Could you please post what you learned from the trip about your car, about travelling long distance, about any bits of wisdom you gained along the way?

If you could run through that whole trip again, what would you do differently?

Thank you! :-)

Last edited by ODFever; 01-22-2015 at 09:20 PM.
ODFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #106
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFever View Post
Runnerbun - I discovered your thread through a search. I just bought my first A 3 weeks ago. I appreciate the details you outlined with each step of your journey. Thanks for keeping it up to date with each stop. I'm truly impressed by the number of miles you covered, and by the lack of mechanical troubles you experienced!! :-) You are valuable resource to me, and I would like to learn from your epic experience.

What steps did you take in planning and preparing for the trip?

Did you have communication between the 3 vehicles? If so, what did you use?

What did you do each morning to ensure your car was ready for the day's mileage?

What type of engine oil did you bring with you? How often did you change the oil?

What type of gear oil did you run in your transmission? How often did you check the level?

What kind of tires do you have on your A - bias or radials? Did the tires hold up well to all the miles, or are they in rough shape?

What tire pressure did you keep your tires set at?

Did you check the rear differential fluid at any point on your journey?

What spares did you bring? If you have a list, could you please post it here?

What is your trailer made out of - an old pickup truck bed? What kind of hitch do you have on your A? What are the dimensions? How much does it weigh empty? How much did it weigh full? (I can convert from kg to lbs.)

Was your tent a part of the trailer? Could you please take pictures of both and post more information?

What camping supplies did you bring? If you have a list, could you please post it?

Did you cook any meals on the engine while you drove? If so, what did you cook and how did it taste?

Conquering that many km in an A taught you some valuable lessons. Could you please post what you learned from the trip about your car, about travelling long distance, about any bits of wisdom you gained along the way?

If you could run through that whole trip again, what would you do differently?

Thank you! :-)
Hello ODFever, you have given me a comprehensive list of questions, I'll endevour to address each as best I can.

1a Planning Our travelling is done on a four day cycle. 3 days of driving of approx 350 km per day give or take the nearest convenient place to stop (we usually stop at a caravan park) but have also done some bush camping. The forth day is a rest day, rest days means routine maintenance ar required, domestic duties such as laundry and grocery supplies for the next four days and generaly relaxing and sight seeing.
1b Preparation This will depend on the history of your particular vehicle. When was it rebuilt? how many miles has it done since it was rebuilt? Our big runs normally happen each two years and I would normally pull the engine if the run is in excess of around 5000km and do a thorough check of Bearings (big-end and mains) Valves, Valve seat, Valve Lifters Rings Transmission & Clutch, Timing Gear. In this particular instance I replaced the very tired transmission with a new Mitchell Syncro Transmission.
Other important things to consider is Tyres (are they going to last the distance)
2 Communication between Cars This is one area I will not compromise, rule is all travelling in the group must carry a cell phone and install a UHF two-way Radio. These are essential to stay connected to each other and maintain harmony in the group and staying connected with other road users (Heavy Transporters) for safety reasons.
3 Daily Checks Coolant Check, Oil Check and visual check of tyres.
4 Engine oil Type and Frequency We often don't have a choice due to the isolated area we are in. and I also subscribe to the theory that any oil today is far better than was used in 1928. I usually select a multigrade detergent oil from one of the major producers. Oil changes are done at approx 3500 km. I also like to fill to a point above the full mark and have not experienced any ill effects from doing so.
5 transmission oil Transmission oil is as is recommended by Mitchell, any 90SAE weight oil with a API GL5 rating. I used one by Valvoline.
6 Tyres I use Excelsior 450 -475 X21 on standard Model A rims. They probably don't give quite the same mileage as the Firestones but on a cost per km basis they seem to work out about the same. I like them because on my car they seem to give the best handling. The only problem I have experienced in the past was a bead pinching problem where the tubes are pinced all around where the tyre meets the rim. This problem was solved by using the full width (6") rim liners instead of the normal standard narrow type. I can't say if the problem was caused by the tubes or the tyres.
7 Tyre pressure Tyre presure was kept at 35 psi
8 Differential I never pulled the plug on the differential to check the oil level once we left home. Just did a regular visual check for oil leaks. I figured if there was no obvious oil leak it's got to be still in there.
9 Spares Major items carried were Water Pump, Alternator, Carb, Distributor, A couple of Connecting rods, numerous small items such as Gaskets for Head, Manifold, Carb, Water Pump, Pan, Water pump Gland Packing, Assort small bolts Nuts & Washers, Bendix Spring, Fan Belt, couple of wheel lug nuts, Tubes, Puncher repair kit, 12 volt compressor, Coolant, Top up Oil, Cable Ties, Insulation Tape, Heat shrink tube, Gasket Cement, Manifold Clamp, 1 valve, Valve Spring Valve Guide and valve spring retainer, Small amount of electrical cable, Asst crimp Terminals, Light bulbs and fuses, and probably a few other small items I havn't remembered. All I got to use was the Bendix Spring and Fan Belt.
10 The Trailer The trailer is similar to your standard garden variety box trailer which I built myself using the lightest material I thought would be suffient to do the job. The axle was made from heavy wall steem pipe to which I added Model A front stub axles and hubs. I used the same wheels as on the car so as not to have to carry another spare wheel. To the top of the trailer I fitted an aluminium tray which became the base of our bed with a 6" foam Matteras. Beneath the tray was a storage area. The tent part is fixed to the tray and is held up by bows similar in function to the Hood Bows on a Pheaton. They fold up and down and extend out to the side of the trailer giving us an enclosed area (Dressing Room) of approx 6'6"" x 8'6" in addition to our bed on the trailer. Weight empty approx 140kg and estimate fully loaded 380-400 kg. For the trailer hitch/towbar on the car I went to the local wrecking yard and found a towbar which I could modify by cutting off the original mounting bracket and custom fit brackets that I could mount to the rear bumper brackets of the Ford.
The canvas work for the tent section was also all made by myself. It has a removable zip-on Awning on the side. In the Tailgate of the trailer I built a small Kitchenette with an LPG/Propane gas cooker with two burners and a sink for dish washing.
11 The Tent Yes, the tent is integral with the trailer, see attached pics.
12 Camping Supplies Aluminium folding Table and two chairs, both the table and chairs are carried on the trailer draw bar. Light weight plates and utensils, LED Lighting, A 40 lt Waeco fridge (12v/240v) which is carried on the rear floor of the car. Food supplies were replenised every four days.
13 Cooking No manifold cooker, all cooking was done on the built-in cooker. Meals were normal home cooked style and yes they were very tasty. (Have to say that just in case my wife reads this post) she is actually a great cook.
14 Lessons I have now done in excess of 63000 km on 9 major trips ( car has done 82855 miles/133,340 km since restoration) all but one of our major trips has been with the camper trailer in tow, From my first trip with the camper I choose to adopt the 3 days driving and 1 day off as a rest day system and I wouldn't do it any other way. There have been times where we do take more than one day off as a rest day for extra sight seeing but certainly do not like driving for mor that 3 days straight. It would take the fun out of it for me.
If travelling with others in a group I prefer to keep the group to no more than 4 vehicles. This encourages better communications within the group. I feel a bigger group will tend to splinter into small groups and maintaining good communication will become more difficult.
There are six things vital to a good trip, Preparation, Preparation, Preperation, Communication, Communication, and communication. Good preparation is obvious. Travelling with others for 8 weeks can and will throw up some challenges. Good communication Before & During the trip is essential. One thing that has always concerned me is that we choose to do these trips with the company of good friends. I like to think we return home as even better friends. If disagreements arise, be prepared to compromise a solution.
Do not underestimate the potential high cost if something goes seriousely wrong with the car as recovery costs can be huge if you far from home. Always carry insurance for towing and tilt tray recovery.
One more thing, always remember to be courteous and considerate to other road users. You may have all day to get to where you are going but others are on the road earning a living. They have things to do, places to be and schedules to keep to, they will appreciate your consideration.

All the views I have expressed above are from my personal point of view. others may think differently, that does not make either of us right or wrong. just different.
I have done my best to address all your questions. All the best if and when you hit the road. Stay safe.
Runnerbun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMPER (1).JPG (154.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (2).JPG (202.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (3).JPG (182.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (4).JPG (220.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (5).JPG (184.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (6).JPG (160.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (7).JPG (118.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (8).JPG (101.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (9).JPG (109.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (10).JPG (109.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (11).JPG (115.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (12).JPG (105.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (13).JPG (135.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (14).JPG (119.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER (15).JPG (198.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 01-24-2015 at 01:17 AM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #107
pooch

Good post Runnerbun, it is refreshing to see someone actually take the time and answer the questions asked.

Most just answer what they want to and ignore the rest of the questions.

I am seeing a pattern re USA people vs OZ/NZ people on answering the whole rather than the selected part.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #108
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Good post Runnerbun, it is refreshing to see someone actually take the time and answer the questions asked.

Most just answer what they want to and ignore the rest of the questions.

I am seeing a pattern re USA people vs OZ/NZ people on answering the whole rather than the selected part.
Thanks Pooch, I appreciate the comment. Many on the Forum have extensive knowledge, certainly a lot more than I have but I am happy to contribute where I can.
Runner
Old 01-24-2015, 03:51 AM   #109
Gerald1961

Wow, what a wonderful trip! Whish you good luck, no flat tires or other harms and many nice locations to visit! I will follow your blog. Keep us updated and good luck!
Gerald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #110
Bertha

Thumbs up Re: A drive around the block

Man...GREAT job on that tent/trailer/pop-up camper, well thought out and first rate execution!!!

Bob
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #111
mshmodela

Runner,

I think you should contact the American cable network TLC or National Georgraphic Channel and do your trip again. Would make a great TV show!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #112
cradlescyth

Australia now that's a place I would feel comfortable and safe in visiting.

Hope to someday. Have a great and safe trip.Thanks for phptos
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #113
ODFever

Runnerbun - Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I learned a lot from your words of wisdom. I might have more questions after I digest your extensive reply.

I am in awe of your trailer and tent design and construction. It is absolutely AMAZING!!!!! I admire and appreciate your talents. I would absolutely LOVE to have a setup like that! Heck, I'd even love to see it in person. It's too bad you're half a world away from me. :-(
Old 01-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #114
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFever View Post
Runnerbun - Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I learned a lot from your words of wisdom. I might have more questions after I digest your extensive reply.

I am in awe of your trailer and tent design and construction. It is absolutely AMAZING!!!!! I admire and appreciate your talents. I would absolutely LOVE to have a setup like that! Heck, I'd even love to see it in person. It's too bad you're half a world away from me. :-(
Without wanting to diminish what Runnerbun achieved making the trailer, they are available just like that "over the counter" here. The one I towed around Australia at the same time Runner was doing his trip is one.
As for those of you expressing a desire to do such a trip, I say do it while you can. We don't get a second chance at this world.
I'm sure there would be an Aussie or two to accompany you if you so desire.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 AM   #115
Tom Walker

Runner, many congrats on an epic trip, and I really enjoyed your updates as you went.
Can I ask your advice on trailer lights, and any tips on "how to"?
Are you running 6or 12 volts? (I remember mention of 12v fridge?)

Thanks, Tom.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #116
RUNNERBUN

Hello Tom, thank you for your compliments. Yes I did convert my car to 12 volt. I agree with others that there is nothing wrong with 6 volt. 12v is just that much more convenient for running accessories such as GPS, 2 way Radio and in my case a 12v fridge as well.
Wiring trailer lights is a fairly straight forward procedure. You will need to break into your cars wiring harness at the Tail/brake light end and add an extension down to a standard trailer socket, trailer plugs and sockets normally come with wiring instructions for the correct sequence, you will have to do the same from your directional indicators if you have them fitted. Personally I wouldn't drive a car in todays traffic without directional indicators. Just to dangerous without them. We call them Orange Warts.
One more bit of advise is when selecting trailer lights go for the newer LED lights as they give a much stronger light during the day time. Not sure if 6 volt LED trailer lights are available.
All the best
Runner