Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default Stabilizer Bar Links, Horizontal Critical.

Are the links supposed to be horizontal?

I am installing a larger diameter stabilizer bar on my Frankenwagen. I'm working on the links now and note that they are at an acute angle, top of bolt towards the rear of car. I used the same bolt holes--- as original install---for the clamps that hold the bar to frame.

I note I'm unable to get a good adjustment on the link/cushioning rubbers.

I think the bar will have to be moved forward but the xmember may only allow a bit of movement---before contact.

Is it critical the links be full on horizontal? Does it matter if the car front is on ramps and the rear on ground? Will that affect adjustment?

It will be necessary? to drill new holes forward of the original ones on the frame. Anyone else on this type of install?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0711.jpg (24.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Jwawhite; 12-29-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Stabilizer Bar Links, Horizontal Critical.

Did you change the anti-sway bar or are just installing new links
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:03 AM   #3
Jwawhite

New bar and links, bar is a bit larger in diameter.
The original bar and the link set ups were not perfectly horizontal either. I'm thinking the larger bar and factory? holes are a bit off? might be exaggerating the angle of links now.
I'm going to drill new bar mount holes closer to the front of car and try to get the links horizontal. Room for the bar and front xmember will be deciding factor on how much I can
Move mount forward.
Are perfectly horizontal links critical?
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: Stabilizer Bar Links, Horizontal Critical.

Where did you source the replacement bar?

Did you compare length and pattern before install?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
. . . I am installing a larger diameter stabilizer bar on my Frankenwagen. I'm working on the links now and note that they are at an acute angle, top of bolt towards the rear of car.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
. . .
Did you compare length and pattern before install?
Place the sway bars loose on the work bench or floor on top of each other so you can more easily see differences in length, shape and angles.
The outer legs of the new bar may be slightly longer, or have a slight upward/downward angle at the ends where the links attach.
It might be upside down? It may not be the correct bar for the car?
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Jwawhite

I did not compare the bars as well as I should have, did a quick look over with the old and new on the ground, not layered.
The bar is installed as the original with the center piece pointing downwards.
The original installion also had backward, at the top, angles on the links. The angle is more pronounced with the larger bar.
I think the factory drilled the holes sloppily just a bit off from the proper location.
I'm going to unbolt the bar at frame with a jack stand holding it towards the front, install the links horizontally and note the location on frame where the mounting holes should be drilled. But I need to note if the bar will hit the front xmember in that location. Hence my links may not be perfectly horizontal.
The bar was purchased from Quickor in OR. he has been manufacturing them for decades.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Stabilizer Bar Links, Horizontal Critical.

Quote:
The bar was purchased from Quickor in OR. he has been manufacturing them for decades.
Maybe you want to lay it on the ground next to the take-off before drilling the rails. He might have reached into the wrong parts bin. It may also be one of those magical one-fits-all.

If it ain't right, it ain't right. You may be causing more headaches than cure.

If the link bars are staggered too much over OEM, they may flex or even bend negating the sway bar's design and usefulness.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Maybe you want to lay it on the ground next to the take-off before drilling the rails. He might have reached into the wrong parts bin. It may also be one of those magical one-fits-all.
If it ain't right, it ain't right. You may be causing more headaches than cure.
. . .
Times 2
Old 12-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
Are perfectly horizontal links critical?
In a high performance situation it would be as the design is meant to be horizontal . Therefore it would not operate as designed. Also, the bushings would be more prone to premature wear if not horizontal and thereby further off the designed characteristics.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:26 AM   #10
Daves55Sedan

From the photo I am looking at, it seems you have extremely thick grommets (polyurethane?) that are causing the sway bar ends to be elevated. It also appears that you have cut down the length of the tube to shorten it, which helps some, but not nearly enough.
When I re-did my sway bar stabilizers, I used new OEM rubber bushings and kept my tubes the factory length.
If the thick polyurethane bushings are causing your problem, I would toss them and go back to factory original rubber bushings and new tubes of the proper length. That will get your sway bar horizontal. Yes, the rubber bushings will wear out, but they will last a while.
I keep a box full of good used rubber bushings around here to use as replacements for shock absorber bushings and sway bar bushings when old ones wear down. Haven't had to buy any in decades and still got plenty good ones to spare.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
bobss396

The tubes in the picture look a lot shorter than stock and you wouldn't want to go shorter on the rubber bushings. How does it ride? Take some more pictures, maybe as level as possible from the side with a tire off. You could drop the mount on the lower arm without a lot of fab and trouble.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Jwawhite

There is something wrong with the front end set-up. It's just a new finding on the road straightening out other owners wrenchin'. Or Factory.
The original sway bar was canted backwards. Either the welded in nuts that hold the bar by brackets are in the wrong place or the eyelet on the lower A arm is wrong. See attached photo of original links.
I disconnected the bar brackets and bolted in the links horizontally, the stiff bushings held the position. The sway bar mounts need to move almost an inch forward. The split frame rail at the front xmember is touching the sway bar in this new position.
I cannot do this repair in my driveway for the welded in nuts interfere with the new drill hole position.
Oh yes Happy New Year all, dinner and comedy show tonight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0714.jpg (40.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Question Re: Stabilizer Bar Links, Horizontal Critical.

How do the two bars compare when laid side by side and on top of one another?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
paul2748

I bought a bar for my 54 Ford from Quickor. They sent the wrong one, wouldn't take it back, had a hell of a time getting my money back. Finally got hold of the Oregon Attorney General and he got my money back. Quickor never sent me a return mailer to return the wrong bar. Would never do business with him again.

While it's pain in the butt, I would take the new bar off and compare it with the old bar before doing any mods to the car.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
Jwawhite

Well, that's disheartening, paul2748.
I don't think my bar is wrong as much as I think the Frankenwagen mounts are off.
As previously, the original installation was also canted backwards at the top side of the links.
I could go three ways for a better install: Mash and drill the ends of the new bar to shorten up mount to link, Drill the frame to move bar forward, Drill the A Arms closer to the body.
Would be nice to look over someone else's wagon.
Wife has great time with me about aftermarket " bolt on" parts, they don't!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #16
nascardave

I don't know if this helps. Mercury has a shorter distance from the bend to the eyelit around 8 1/2 to 8 3/4" distance and Ford is around 10 3/4 to 11" your wagon may have been drilled for a Mercury sway bar. My friend said his 56 ford wagon came with a Mercury sway bar. Hope this helps. Dave
nascardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
JeffB2

How to measure for end links is here: http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...ng-charts.html
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
miker98038

Based on nascardave’s comment. I went out and measured the oversized front bar on my Thunderbird. The links are vertical, and the cl of the link to the cl of the bar is 11 inches.

So I think he’s on the right track. The brackets on the lower a arm look the same as yours, so the difference is probably the front mounting position. IIRC, there were some other odd things wagons, trucks, police specials, and sometimes birds shared with the merc’s, like the Dana 44 (or 45 ) series. Ford was big on dipping into the parts bin.

(The original shift knob on my 55 manual trans sure looks the same as a Ford Tractor knob)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0E727FF-3C6B-4087-BA21-4DC9152FCD71.jpg (54.0 KB, 12 views)
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascardave View Post
I don't know if this helps. Mercury has a shorter distance from the bend to the eyelit around 8 1/2 to 8 3/4" distance and Ford is around 10 3/4 to 11". . .
The length of the arm from the bend to the eyelet affects the relative stiffness of the bar.
A sway bar with longer arms will have less effect / feel 'softer' than the same bar with shorter arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
(The original shift knob on my 55 manual trans sure looks the same as a Ford Tractor knob)
I'll give you one guess why...

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #20
Ole Don

FYI; I ordered a heavy duty front sway bar from Thunderbirds Southwest several years ago. It was expensive, but bolted in perfectly, and worked right.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote