Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #21
motordr

Default Re: Building a late 32 driveshaft

You are lucky to have the late 32 torque tube, I need one of those myself! I have shortened 34 drive shafts and torque tubes but alignment of course is critical. It’s the perfect rear axle to make into a Columbia 2 speed.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #22
Newc

Note; A local V8er had his 6/10 adapter spin between the 6/10 parts. Seems it was pressed together from two mfgr'd parts. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Note; A local V8er had his 6/10 adapter spin between the 6/10 parts. Seems it was pressed together from two mfgr'd parts. Newc

Be careful, as it has been reported in the past that some of the aftermarket 6/10 couplers were machined with the outside diameter NOT BEING concentric with the center of the splines. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:32 PM   #24
cas3

Years ago when I was fighting with this, after a google search i was able to buy a female splined coupler from some industrial place. Cant remember now why, but i did not use it, i think I found an original shaft. However, I did not check if it was concentric. Point is, they are available from other sources than our ford network.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:22 PM   #25
Duke

Thank you for all the help guys. Yes, it would be nice to make a Columbia out of it.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:58 PM   #26
cas3

Duke, there certainly has been lots of thoughts in this thread, but back to your original question, " can I use a late solid driveshaft", some folks here have said yes, the 32 is short enough you can get away with it. Ive not played with any 32 stuff. But!!! if that's true, lots of options come up. If you are happy with your current 32 ring & pinion, its gonna be a 10 spline, and some folks use the 10/6 adapter and just weld the adapter on the shaft. I've not done it, but many have gotten away with it. If your ring & pinion is bad, or ratio undesirable, you can use a later 6 spline ring&pinion by having you local crankshaft grinder guy grind the larger diameter pinion shaft of the 35& up, down to the size to fit the 32-34 pinion bearings, then, the standard 6 spline coupler can be bored out enough to be pressed on to the solid shaft and then welded. It seems to work..Ive not done it, but I did once have the crank guy cut down a late ring & pinion to fit a 32-34 bearing size to put a 3.78 gear into a 34 which never had that option. just some more thoughts, good luck on your project
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #27
Lawrie

I have just done the same mod on my spare 33 shaft and rear end, I have the 46 3.78 R&P that I machined to fit into the 33 /34 housing, and bore the 10 spline end of the d/shaft to fit a 6 spline coupler , then work out the difference in position of the retaining pin hole and weld in the new coupler,BUT, even though the d/shaft is bored in a lathe and clocked up when boring it , when you weld in the 6 spline coupler it will pull the shaft , SO I always fit the shaft to the pinion after welding, then set up a dial indictor on the other end of the shaft where the roller bearing runs and clock up there, the one today was .070 out after the welds its and easy job the pull the shaft straight using the heat and cooling process.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote