Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Deco 1927

Default Spindels

Is it possible to change out Model T spindles with Model A spindles? If so what modification need to be done?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
midgetracer

Default Re: Spindels

Anything is possible, but it would require a lot of modification. Model A spindles have a king pin about 1 inch in diameter, while model t spindles are a lot smaller. Model T spindles fit inside the axle opening, and Model A axle fits inside the spindle opening. The steering arm on the model A is much larger and longer than the Model T. The Model A tie rod and drag link fasten on round balls, where the Model T tie rid uses bolts. It would be easier to switch the whole front axle and steering than just change spindles. A close look at both units will tell you a lot. One might ask why would you want to do it.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Deco 1927

Thanks I guess I will just get the adapter kit for the rims. I'm not prepared to do that much work for a set of rims.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
t42

Why do you want Model A rims instead of T rims? Both are available either new or used. A's have a 5-1/2" bolt circle and T's have a 5" bolt circle. My '27 has the late T style rims but all 5 rims use the larger AR style hubcaps.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
redmodelt

There is a BIG price difference between 21" A wheels and 21" T wheels. On top of which, the cost of Model T wire wheel hubs if you don't have them, well lets just say, at current market the T hubs will be more then a bit higher then the cost of the adapters. In addition, if there is a problem with the key way or spun bearings with the wire wheel hubs you will not be out as much because you are using the wood wheel hubs with the adapters.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
tombia

You can put model a hubs on T spindles, easy modifications.
tombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
modelAsteve

Dear "tombia" Thanks for all the information!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
tombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Dear "tombia" Thanks for all the information!
just ask and you will recieve
Old 12-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
redmodelt

Can a Model A front hub be used, yes. Has it been done, yes. There are some pit falls in doing so. The inner T bearing is used and A outer bearing is used. The A hub is shorter then the T so the threaded part needs to be trimmed back and a new cotter pin hole has to be drilled. I recall reading that the outer bearing now will be riding on the threaded part. This would not be a first, people have used the A outer bearing in this location but I would not recommend it. If I was going to use an A type bearing in this location I would sleeve the threaded area where it rides and find a different outer bearing. I am not sure if the T outer bearing could be used, I think you would run out of threads before it was seated. There is some room to cut new threads but now you will be needing a left and right hand die $$.
The T wire wheel uses the hub center and studs for centering and support the A uses the studs and outer part of the brake drum for support. Then you still need to address the inner seal.
I had a pair of A hubs that at one time had been used on a T, the brake drum was trimmed to the allow the A wheel to have some support in that area.
The rear hubs, the T and A, the axle tapers, there is a size different. The Model A is larger and I would have to check more but might be shorter. So you cant just put the A hub on a T axle, then there are the brakes to contend with. Also, the A rear hubs are supported on the rear axle housing unlike the T that are inside the axle tube.
Lots of things can be done if you have a good shop, tools and skill.
Back to the front hubs, the T spindle arms can be used in the A hubs. I have read in several places about people using A spindle arms and A steering boxes on T frames for speedsters, I tried fitting a pair just to try it out and seem to work. That is about as far as I got.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
tombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Can a Model A front hub be used, yes. Has it been done, yes. There are some pit falls in doing so. The inner T bearing is used and A outer bearing is used. The A hub is shorter then the T so the threaded part needs to be trimmed back and a new cotter pin hole has to be drilled. I recall reading that the outer bearing now will be riding on the threaded part. This would not be a first, people have used the A outer bearing in this location but I would not recommend it. If I was going to use an A type bearing in this location I would sleeve the threaded area where it rides and find a different outer bearing. I am not sure if the T outer bearing could be used, I think you would run out of threads before it was seated. There is some room to cut new threads but now you will be needing a left and right hand die $$.
The T wire wheel uses the hub center and studs for centering and support the A uses the studs and outer part of the brake drum for support. Then you still need to address the inner seal.
I had a pair of A hubs that at one time had been used on a T, the brake drum was trimmed to the allow the A wheel to have some support in that area.
The rear hubs, the T and A, the axle tapers, there is a size different. The Model A is larger and I would have to check more but might be shorter. So you cant just put the A hub on a T axle, then there are the brakes to contend with. Also, the A rear hubs are supported on the rear axle housing unlike the T that are inside the axle tube.
Lots of things can be done if you have a good shop, tools and skill.
Back to the front hubs, the T spindle arms can be used in the A hubs. I have read in several places about people using A spindle arms and A steering boxes on T frames for speedsters, I tried fitting a pair just to try it out and seem to work. That is about as far as I got.
!!!Right!!! Except I used the model A bearings, both inner and outer. made a 3/8" spacer to move the inner out a bit, so was unnessasary to rethread spindle. had to cut the spindle nose off tho. and used 2 washers.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 AM   #11
dumb person

You don't need to cut them shorter at all... Trust me.

All you need is a longer castle nut. How you make it longer is up to you...

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
redmodelt

It's not just that they are longer, it's also a hub cap issue.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 AM   #13
dumb person

Hahaha.

What you need to do is make your hubcaps longer like i did.

Here is an award winning tutorial for hubcap making that i found on the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LtXB6tF2KQ

Happy hubcap fabricating.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote