Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
foto1man

Thumbs up Etched Glass Identification Logos or Bugs

This question is concerning the glass identification, etched window logo’s or window bugs, whatever they may be called. I have 1935 Ford Phaeton and I was wondering if all the windows had logos or bugs? There’s the windshield, the two wind wings and the window in the convertible top in the rear? Were the windows clear or tinted? Were they laminated or tempered and their thickness? Where were the etched logos’s located at, especially the wind wings?
Thanks, Kenneth
foto1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Etched Glass Identification Logos or Bugs

Kenneth, all windows had the bug except rear windows on the open cars and I believe, wind wings. Bugs were located in the lower corners, and were flipped left or right, which would show backward on one side. No windows were tinted to my knowledge. Windows were laminated, showing a black edge. Not sure if wind wings were laminated. Dates of the bugs could be different, but none would be later than the build date of the car, which can be approximated by the serial numbewindwings and rear open car windowsr. We all like pictures, by the way!

EDIT: Don Rogers posted drawings for bugs on wind wings and open car rear window. Don's the MAN!

Last edited by ford38v8; 02-07-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Don Rogers has the drawings!
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Drbrown

I can't speak to your '35 but the 42-48 Ford V8 book explains how to decipher the bug code as to who made the glass and when. Your glass may be similar.

In the 42-48 range of years Ford made their own flat laminated glass, including the side vents, and the curved rear window glass was made by others, in my case by Herculite. Although my windshield laminate has some "bubbles" in the laminate indicating age, they may not be the original high strength laminated because their bugs give no date and say made by LOF (Libby-Owens-Ford).
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Don Rogers

Kenneth, I have answered your posting on the Early Ford V-8 Clubs Forum. There are (3) dimension drawings (1) for each piece of glass showing the bug location on all pieces of glass.

Regards,
Don Rogers
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
woodiewagon46

Check out the Roy Nacewicz website, for Carleton Glass, www.fordscript.com. It gives info on the "bugs"
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Don Rogers, THANK YOU for providing that information.

I've got a '36 Phaeton, which came to me without 'bugs.' When researching their placement I observed the ones on the wind wings to be in different places on different cars, and in different orientations, and was quite confused.

I see they are perpendicular to the long side of the wind wing, not parallel to the short side.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95257

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote