Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #21
Rodrelic

Default Re: Opinion on a 36LB motor

My motor with no block water pump provision and inserts had LB stamped. But, I also have stamp punches, so…
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:06 PM   #22
Vanspeed

I have an LB in my ‘29 coupe. I love it. I was gifted it, came out of a ‘35 coupe at the shop I was working at. Nobody wanted it, thought it was an early Babbitt engine. I luckily got it and I am extremely happy with it. It is sleeved on all 8. I particularly like it for my situation because I can slap some cool heads on it, add another stromberg, cam, etc and have a reliable insert bearing 21 stud. I think for guys like me it is a great engine if you want the early look but have inserts. Just my 2cents.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:05 PM   #23
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Not the stamp but the two hokes in the pan area used to set up the block for machine at the factory, there is one on the front of the engine ,look at an old post as there is a pic of it.
Lawrie
Yes, I am aware of that. And that is what my 36 LB has. But, I was told that was a Canadian deal, and my engine is Canadian. Does that hold true for USA engines? I was told 'no'. Please educate me. I'm still of the opinion that actually looking at the mains, or, at least measuring the distance between the main studs, would be the safest way to id.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:09 AM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Yes, I am aware of that. And that is what my 36 LB has. But, I was told that was a Canadian deal, and my engine is Canadian. Does that hold true for USA engines? I was told 'no'. Please educate me. I'm still of the opinion that actually looking at the mains, or, at least measuring the distance between the main studs, would be the safest way to id.
I agree that the best/safest way to ID a USA '36 LB engine is to measure center to center distance between the mains studs. LB = ~ 3-1/4", poured babbitt = ~ 3"
None of the '36 LB engines that I own have those holes in front or rear of block as Lawrie mentions.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-14-2022 at 12:52 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:32 AM   #25
Lawrie

John, maybe the USA factories had run out of drills that size.(laughing)
Hows things,I,m getting the 33 and c/van ready to head off out west in a month or so as soon as it cools down,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #26
Elmo Rodge

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Lawrie, it's cool at my house. Come on up.
Wayno
Old 01-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #27
Lawrie

Wayno, they just dropped border restrictions here so now at least we can travel inter state,
You get snow there don't you, that would be way too cold for me.
but some time I will come back to the USA,I would like to go for a ride in one of the B29,s that are still flying.
Lawrie
Old 01-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #28
B-O-B

My 34 5W has an LB in it. It was built by a R & R (reliable & reputable ) engine builder in the bay area. Some of you on this board knew him. He is(deceased )now but was known as Furtados' machine shop. It has L B stamped on the block & is bored. Runs really good altho I don't put as many miles on it as I should . Blame the 32 roadster for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 031.jpg (115.9 KB, 13 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #29
38 coupe

The USA 36 LB engines I have seen do not have the holes like the Canadian blocks.
If you have an exceptionally calibrated eye you might be able to tell the front of the oil pan size since the Babbitt engines are a little bit narrower around the front main.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:21 PM   #30
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
John, maybe the USA factories had run out of drills that size.(laughing)
Hows things,I,m getting the 33 and c/van ready to head off out west in a month or so as soon as it cools down,
Lawrie
Lawrie, all's good here. Sounds like a fun trip coming up in your '33. I'm hoping to put some miles on my '35 fordor this year. Will most likely drive it to Franklin, Tenn in June for the EFV-8 Club's Eastern National Meet.
Have you thought about doing a return trip to the States? Next year the EFV-8 Club's Grand National Meet should be a big deal, and a blast to attend.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:13 AM   #31
Lawrie

John, I think I will try to come for the Grand nat meet next year, we should be all sorted with the virus thingy by then. when is it on?
I will try to post some picks and story when I go out west in the coming months.
good to hear alls well there.
Lawrie