Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
deuce295

Default Swap Meet Pages

I was curious about how others feel about the way the swap section is setup. On the old board the "for sale" and "wanted" listing were all in one section. Now it seems very few members ever look at the "wanted" section whereas before everyone that looked at the swap section saw all the postings. If you are looking for something it is hard to get any exposure to your "wanted" post. Just curious if others would like to have it setup the way it was or are fine with the current format. Just though with enough interest it might be worth bringing to the attention of Ryan.
Thanks for your input.
deuce295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Swap Meet Pages

I do agree that it seems I get less responses from my posted Wanted ads now with the newer format but that may be just coincedence, ...and I honestly never go to that Wanted section when I am scanning through the Swap Meet simply because of limited time. I would vote FOR them being combined if I were asked but probably would not make a big push for it otherwise.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I would vote FOR them being combined if I were asked but probably would not make a big push for it otherwise.
Ditto
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Kahuna

X3. The current format is very poor compared to the original. I'd like to see it changed as well
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Jason in TX

I like the way it is also. I know that I don't have many extra parts that I'm trying to sell, so I'm usually not looking at the Wanted section to fulfill someone's request.

So to help with my items that I'm looking for, I edit my signature to show what I'm looking for... Like that double pulley. I got some replies via PM and ultimately just located one last night.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Same here, combined would be better. I have gotten limitted responce from my wanted adds. Rod
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Same here, combined would be better. I have gotten limitted responce from my wanted adds. Rod
yup, i,m a 'fence sitter' on this one, at this time! at first, i missed the ole way...that seemed to save time from futzing around 'flower to flower' ! then i wondered why ryan did it his way. have gotten used to ryans scheme now, even tho liked combined ads system more!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Tom Endy

I think it is great. I have both bought and sold. The secret is that posting photos is a must. When I sold I posted photos of what I was selling. When I bought, there were photos of what was for sale.

it is also important to post the price being asked. I never respond to a ad where the seller is keeping the price a secret.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Roadster62

That is how I read things, plus the SEARCH for specific parts. I never saw the OLD setup so I can't coment on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Every time I come to the FordBarn, I check out the "Model A Forum", "Model A For Sale", and "Model A Wanted". I kind of like it the way it is.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
deuce295

Lots of varied replies. It is good to hear others input on this and I appreciate all of you taking the time to reply.
deuce295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
CarlG

I haven't figured out how to search for just Model A parts. Everytime I try, I get "widgit" for every Ford ever made, not just Model A's. I do search from the Model A section, but I get everything.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Ryans setup is ok with me,takes a little moving around but im use to it by now. ken ct. OMO
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Every time I come to the FordBarn, I check out the "Model A Forum", "Model A For Sale", and "Model A Wanted". I kind of like it the way it is.
I agree with Mr. Turley. I like the new layout. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

I like the current setup. I do more selling than buying, so for me, it is less cluttered.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
Ron in Quincy

I like the way it is set up now, works fine for me.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have no problem with the current format.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
I have looked at the classifieds on this forum maybe 4 or 5 times total. I hate the format. I hate having to keep clicking to drill deeper, which is what this site is all about.
I still like the old Fordbarn forum, and the old classifieds better overall.

In fact, I have been thinking about creating a new free Model A and Early V8 cars and parts swap site similar to the old list, using one of the domain names I already own. Classifieds only, no forum.

Any interest in this?, or is this classifieds here meeting everyone's needs? I am not really wanting to compete, but I have tons of stuff myself to list and sell somewhere, and eBay has become a hassle, and the format of these classifieds I don't like much, so....

Maybe fordgaragesale.com or fordswapmeet.com or vintagefordgarage.com or fortyhorse.com? You can vote by PM if you want. I am curious whether there is any interest in proceeding with a simple linear list like we used to have on Ford Barn and DMAFC, and which name to use.
Vince, I can only speak for me but I kinda have a ritual since time is limited for me. I realize that some folks must have a "boatload" of time because they frequent (and post on) every forum coming & going. I don't have the extra time so I an only surf when I am on the telephone holding or during breaks. Having multiple sites to look at would just cut down on my time unless that site were a top priority with lots of good stuff.

I honestly do not know what the deal is with the Wanted section though. Reading posts above, people commented on successfully selling stuff, --which really isn't what the initial comment was asking. I used to post Wanted ads all the time and could always get multiple responses back of stuff people offered for sale. Now when I post something, I rarely even get one response back. My initial feeling is that it is a "numbers thing" where fewer Fordbarn folks go to the Wanted side. I know that before I used to scan down through the old classifieds looking only to purchase items that I knew I needed but would see someone asking for something which would trigger my brain into remembering I had one that I could sell so I would respond. Again, time does not always allow me to scroll through the For Sale AND the Wanted section. Oh well, I suppose it will stay as-is for the time being.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
Rowdy
BANNED

I am with Vince on this one. Most poeple do not take the time to see what you are looking for. With the old site they atleast glance over it. So far I have gotten no responces for the things I need for this restoration. I beleive I have posted 11 items so far. That was very rare on the old site to post that many and have no responce. Rod
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
I have looked at the classifieds on this forum maybe 4 or 5 times total. I hate the format. I hate having to keep clicking to drill deeper, which is what this site is all about.
I still like the old Fordbarn forum, and the old classifieds better overall.

In fact, I have been thinking about creating a new free Model A and Early V8 cars and parts swap site similar to the old list, using one of the domain names I already own. Classifieds only, no forum.

Any interest in this?, or is this classifieds here meeting everyone's needs? I am not really wanting to compete, but I have tons of stuff myself to list and sell somewhere, and eBay has become a hassle, and the format of these classifieds I don't like much, so....

Maybe fordgaragesale.com or fordswapmeet.com or vintagefordgarage.com or fortyhorse.com? You can vote by PM if you want. I am curious whether there is any interest in proceeding with a simple linear list like we used to have on Ford Barn and DMAFC, and which name to use.
Every Model A hobbiest I know has something that he could, would or should sell. It is the nature of the hobby to wind up with extra "stuff." I'm sure most of us would sell our excess stuff if there were an easy way to do so. I think you are uniquely qualified to design and administer such a system. I would hope there would be some compensation for your time and talent. I like fordswapmeet.com
Go fo it Vince,
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote