Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default Owner of Recovered Ford Model A Doesn’t Want Vehicle Back

From the CLAIMS JOURNAL newsletter comes this Dec.13th report:

"Remember that Ford Model A stolen from a Willow Valley, Pa., resident this summer and recovered a few weeks ago?

The one where the insurance company had, shortly before its recovery, settled for $20,000?

The one where if one-time owner Ralph Wright wanted the car back he’d have to bid on it at auction?

Well, he no longer wants it.

The insurance company offered Monday to return it after learning he had wanted it.

But Wright and his son turned down the offer. His son had gotten the car for him about 13 years ago for a Father’s Day gift.

“It just was more of a hassle than I needed at 84 years of age,” Wright said Tuesday.

He’d have to get a new title because the car now has a salvage title.

And he’s got nowhere to keep it – he wouldn’t use where it was stolen from again, he said. It’s also got some damage, and well, he had even thought about selling it over the past couple years.

“Before too long, I’m going to have to give up my driver’s license,” Wright said.

He said he appreciated the insurance company representatives reaching out to him and said they’ve been cooperative throughout, but it’s time to move on.

A spokesman for Assurant Specialty Property said “standard practice is that once a claim is paid, what if anything that is left of the property reverts to the insurer. This was an unusual claim as the car was recovered after the claim was paid in full.”

The company was pleased the matter worked out, spokesman Robert Byrd said."
__________________________________________________ ____

- So bureaucacy and old age has ended another caretaker of a Ford Model A.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Owner of Recovered Ford Model A Doesn’t Want Vehicle Back

Sadly, maybe it is a good thing. Sometimes our ages limit us of continuing to do things we shouldn't (I.e.: like still drive!! , or hiking long trails on car tours , ...or skydiving ). Maybe it is best for the car too where someone will become the new owner and enjoy it too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
SDJason

I hope whoever gets it keeps it as a Model A, and not turn it into some sort of hot or rat rod project
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Roadster62

Is this the tan Fordor that we talked about a few months ago? Bob
Old 12-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
I hope whoever gets it keeps it as a Model A, and not turn it into some sort of hot or rat rod project
Why would anyone even CARE? (GEEZ!) Bill W.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
SDJason

Well, to each his own...but given the choice I'd prefer to see this on the road:

and not this:
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I care because I see myself as a caretaker of my cars and of automotive history, more than an owner. Historical artifacts are important to posterity, for future generations to understand and, we hope, appreciate where they come from. There is a lot to be learned from an old and original item, be it a car, a steam train, a Colt Army .44-40, a P-51, a house, a stamp, or myriad other things that are no longer part of our day-to-day lives but will never be made again. But that's just my personal attitude.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
al's28/33

I agree with Ray. My wife teases me she's gonna trash all my stuff if I die before her, she's joking but deep down I think she's tellin the truth. Who is gonna care for all those things like I did ?? I have family photos, geneology heirlooms of my own history and I want to believe my children would care for them to pass along to next generation.....so of course my cars should be cared for too....otherwise the cemetery is going to be digging a big hole for my "A" to rest beside me!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Well, to each his own...but given the choice I'd prefer to see this on the road:

and not this:
Or this and white walls to boot

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
ronn

Dusty,
you forgot the fellers Christmas cap!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Who is gonna care for all those things like I did ?? I have family photos, geneology heirlooms of my own history and I want to believe my children would care for them to pass along to next generation.....so of course my cars should be cared for too....otherwise the cemetery is going to be digging a big hole for my "A" to rest beside me!
My thoughts exactly. I worry about what will happen to all my priceless family history stuff and my lovely open cab pickup when I am no longer around.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
jkeesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Thank you Bill.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
pooch

I think most of these original cars will die with us.

Then they will be just a typical deceased sale to go to who ever wants them.

The younger generation mostly have zero interest in old cars with old mechanicals.

Sure, there some that have kids that want to, and will inherit these cars, but I think that is in the minority.

I see all the vintage clubs over here steadily growing older and dieing off.

The clubs are just not attracting the young people with fresh interest to take over.

These cars are our own nostalgia, not theirs.

The hot rod clubs seem to have a similar age group of owners, but the mentality of the club is much much younger, and i do see far more first generation kids involved with the rod groups.

I see more grandkids involved with the vintage group, where the first generation of sons and daughters have grown tired of Dad's old car.

I feel the vintage clubs now are not much more than a social club.

Ralph , who owned this car in the topic, has had time to think, and the rose coloured glasses have come off and he has made a wise decision.

I know in the perfect world, we would all love to have our kids inherit and cherish our cars, but in most cases it ain't gunna happen.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Gary Karr

Pooch, sadly, I think you're spot on.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
ronn

On the original thread concerning this car-I asked if anyone knew when this car was coming to auction and where?

I am interested in bidding..................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
DougVieyra

Pooch - Sadly, I must agree with you. Over the last twenty years I have watched the slow loss-of-interest grow in the historical aspect of our automotive history; and in the FUN that driving a piece of 'living history' has.

I am afraid, that just as the interest in marbles, tops, jump rope, hop-scotch, has passed, so too has the interest the Ford Model A. Our car now provides the basis of another museum piece (and many of them are selling their cars off), or the welding tourch.

When I sold my 1930 Std Coupe, after driving it for 35 years, I had two offers of interest by 'keepers of the faith', and four offers from 'keepers of the torch'. I sold it for less money to the 'keeper of the faith'. But the experience did show me that the market place had more 'hot rodders' than stock restorers. I was sad to learn that, but that does seem to be the case.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #17
1929 Marmon

Go Model A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28_Model_AA Truck 10 .jpg (88.7 KB, 136 views)
1929 Marmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
SteveB31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

The younger generation mostly have zero interest in old cars with old mechanicals.

Sure, there some that have kids that want to, and will inherit these cars, but I think that is in the minority.

The clubs are just not attracting the young people with fresh interest to take over.

The hot rod clubs seem to have a similar age group of owners, but the mentality of the club is much much younger, and i do see far more first generation kids involved with the rod groups.

I see more grandkids involved with the vintage group, where the first generation of sons and daughters have grown tired of Dad's old car.

Ralph , who owned this car in the topic, has had time to think, and the rose coloured glasses have come off and he has made a wise decision.

I know in the perfect world, we would all love to have our kids inherit and cherish our cars, but in most cases it ain't gunna happen.
I have been in this hobby for 30 years now, and have heard this same story for 30 years. These cars will out live all of us. When any of us pass away, the car is sold to someone else, or given away to someone else. That someone will enjoy the car for another 20 years, and he/she will pass it on to someone else for another 20 years and so on. The younger people tend to use the cars more, fix them more, and do not turn them all into hot rods. Many older folks tend to hang out with older folks. Most younger folks tend to hang out with younger folks. Many Model A clubs have the problem of being full of only older folks, so the younger folks are not interested in doing what the older folks want to do. The younger folks just drive their cars, without being members of a club, since the club is mostly full of older folks. My point is, the cars are here to stay- they just have different users after we are done with them.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
Car Pit

I still consider myself a relatively young member of the A community and agree that the art of restoration (vs renovation) is at risk.
If the clubs seriously want this art to be picked up by the younger generation, we have to be purposeful in investing in younger communities and teach them the beauty of the original designs. The forum here is fantastic, but many younger readers won't feel like they can be part of the inner circle until they retire.
I tried to kick off a restoration club at our local university. Had an unrestored Tudor, a shop with tools, and twelve mechanical engineering students who were willing to start a club. All we lacked was a knowledgeable individual who would show us how to do it right. The closest model A owner I could find was a two hour drive away.
If you want it to continue, invest.
Car Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #20
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

I get the same feeling down here in the deep dark southern state of Victoria. I am a member of two local car clubs, and would be close to being the youngest owner of a vintage car. Most vintage car owners are of my dads age. There is a lot of interest in the car club by younger members, but just not with vintage cars. Most around my age and younger own and drive 60's and 70's cars, which are old cars for them, and being 40-50 years old, they are. So I guess it is also a perception of what is old, plus what people want to drive. I know if I go any more than about an hour and a half, I am a wreck because of the driving conditions of the A, where as I can drive my BMW all day and feel fresh at the end, and I am really stuffed after 30min in my Durant. This makes driving vintage cars unpleasant for some, so they don't do it and drive something that is old, although not as old as a vintage car, but a lot more comfortable. Even my dad, an ardent Model A driver, talks about getting a 60's Australian Valiant so he can drive in car club events in comfort.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote