Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
DBF 30

Question 1940 Ford convertible front seat vs. tudor sedan front seat?

Hi, I have a 1940 Ford deluxe convertible (in addition to my 30 Roadster) that I want to keep original but I have no seats. Can anyone tell me in detail the differences between an original convertible front seat and a two door sedan front seat. Will the two door sedan seat fit the convertible? How can I visually tell the differences between the two? I have seen several two door seats available but no convertible seats advertised. When I look on line at 1940 ford convertibles the seats appear the same as what I see in a two door sedan,are there differences in size, shape ect .. Any help or photos showing the differences will be greatly appreciated. If there is someplace I can find this information please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited by DBF 30; 09-05-2016 at 07:13 PM.
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
glendale

Default Re: 1940 Ford convertible front seat vs. tudor sedan front seat?

in my 41 the seat back itself is thinner. i can try and get pics tomorrow.
glendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
STEVE O

I do know that the tudor seat will fit, but the convertible doesn't use the foot rests at the rear so they need to removed. If we are lucky Kube will answer your question with all the detail as there is several differences (I think even down to track measurements) but if you want one to just fit you can use a tudor seat in the front. The rear is entirely different than a tudor. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF 30 View Post
Hi, I have a 1940 Ford deluxe convertible (in addition to my 30 Roadster) that I want to keep original but I have no seats. Can anyone tell me in detail the differences between an original convertible front seat and a two door sedan front seat. Will the two door sedan seat fit the convertible? How can I visually tell the differences between the two? I have seen several two door seats available but no convertible seats advertised. When I look on line at 1940 ford convertibles the seats appear the same as what I see in a two door sedan,are there differences in size, shape ect .. Any help or photos showing the differences will be greatly appreciated. If there is someplace I can find this information please let me know.
Thanks
If you are not interested in concourse correct, you may use a seat from a sedan. The main differences have been noted by previous posters.
Namely, the convertible does NOT have foot rests. Thus, the brackets need to be removed.
The convertible seat had a wooden "partition" under each side of the seat cushion - the sedan seat did not.
You will find it necessary to carefully stuff both the seat cushion and the back rests when you upholster. The convertible has a slightly narrower passenger area (width) and if you stuff the cushions as "normal" for a sedan, the cushions will rub the door panels.

And finally, if I recall correctly, the track width was not the same as the sedan.

On the concourse, I see sedan seats installed in convertibles perhaps more often than correct convertible seats. I believe most owners are not aware of this until they are told.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
karasmer

I just picked up a 40 vert. and have been going through the parts, is this the correct seat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (48.6 KB, 97 views)
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
I just picked up a 40 vert. and have been going through the parts, is this the correct seat?
It appears to be. However, to be certain, I'd want to see if anyone removed the brackets for the (sedan) foot rests.

Even if this is the correct seat, the wooden boards are absent.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
karasmer

The car came with two wood boards, I laid them on the seat as seen in the photo, I take it these are not the ones you are talking about?
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
The car came with two wood boards, I laid them on the seat as seen in the photo, I take it these are not the ones you are talking about?
Those boards (in your photo) are for the sides (rear seat) that cover the vacuum canisters.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Lorink

I have a 40 ford convertible. I know that my front seat is really stuffed and on both sides the seat hits the doors. My car is tight! Nothing loose for a convertible. At times, if the top is down, the driver's side down will pop open. If believe, it's from the over stuffed seats. Evidently, when I close the door from the inside and the top isn't lacked, that little bit of pressure does not allow me to get a good latch( new latches) when I close it. I've had my wife close the door from outside and it never happens. As you imagine, we are going to take stuffing out of the front seat, soon! So, if you are in the process or will be, doing the upholstery, don't over stuff the front seat on both sides. Very comfortable, but not safe! Good luck.
Lorink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #10
russcc

The key points have been made; tracks, foot rests & seat back widths. I used a tudor sedan split back seat in the '40 coupe. Removed the rear foot rests, made an track adapter for the tudor seat track mounting holes and the coupe floor bolt holes. When we installed the leather seat back rest we used a minimum of padding at the outside edge. Will post photo of the track adapter & seat back later today.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
mercurycyclone

40 Ford coupes uses the 39 Ford Tudor tracks RH 91A-7061704 LH 91A-7061705 and 91A-7061726 1939 Ford Tudor track tie bar.
40 Ford Convertible uses the 40 Ford Tudor tracks RH 01A-7061704 LH 01A-7061705 and Tudor front seat tie bar 01A-7061726.
mercurycyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #12
russcc

Here are several photos of the the seat back rest out of a tudor in the coupe. You can see there is limited clearance between the rear quarter & seat back rest in photo #1. Seat back rest with minimal padding on the side of it. Seat track adapter I made to mate the tudor seat track to the '40 floor board mounting holes. I don't recall the centerline distance between the mounting holes in the floor of the coupe, but the distance between the ones in the track were 12" centerline to centerline. The adapter also served to raise the seat about about an inch, and move it back a ways for more flexibility in leg room. The fasteners that attach the adapter to the floor holes are hex drive, 3/8-24 flathead bolts that are countersunk flat into the adapter.

Last edited by russcc; 02-22-2021 at 01:17 PM.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote