Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
corvette8n

Default Stuck block two questions

I’m trying to strip down a stuck 221cu in block.

1. I can’t get the 9/16 socket to get onto the connecting rod nuts, is there a special socket, wrench for the job.

2. I need to bust out the pistons but I don’t want to hurt the rods, any particular tool or punch, chisel size I should use or procedure.

Thanks
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Stuck block two questions

Take a hole saw and cut a big hole in the top of the pistons. Then break the rest of the piston and the rod should move.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Be very careful with the pistons, it is easy to crack a cylinder wall. Need to start by drill out as much of the center of the piston as possible.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

If it's a good quality socket, just grind it down. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Mart

Check some of my videos. I've shown piston removal. Learn from my mistakes and don't do it like I did it. I cracked a cylinder.

You will need to grind a socket down. If the motor is stuck, you might need to also grind various wrenches to get onto those nuts.

How not to remove pistons. https://youtu.be/SlYZGlONTYs

How to remove a crank from a stuck motor: https://youtu.be/b-dPIVcy1sM

Re the pistons. My mistake was to try and remove one that still had the full circumference of the crown in place. All the others had at least a part of the circumference missing and came out ok.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
Mart

Duplicate.

Last edited by Mart; 11-03-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Newc

There are 1/4" drive swivel sockets made . We used them in Aircraft work- Snap-on ?? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
Yoyodyne

Rods are cheap, last one I had to do I torched a few of the rods so I could get the crank out and concentrate on saving the block. I'll sell you a set of 221 rods for $50 if you need them.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Like yoyodyne I have boxes of rods. I sometimes not only cut the rods with a torch but drill the top of pistons with hole saw. And don't forget to set the whole thing on fire with a circular wick in the cylinders floating in brake fluid, mmo, paint thinner, diesel and other vaguely flammable liquids. Not gasoline ever!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
frnkeore

Take it down to a machine shop and have it hot tanked.

It will eat the pistons and give you a clean engine to work with.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Viv W

Chuck the motor into a drum of water and let it soak for 4 to 6 weeks, then take it out the water and use a suitable piece of wood as a drift and tap the pistons up and down the bores. If they still wont come out, soak another week or two. I have stripped many motors and gearboxes this way.
water caused the rust and water will penetrate and dissolve it better than any penetrating oils,
believe me it works.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:52 AM   #12
bobH

Regarding the socket, grind one down, as posted by Jack and Mart, Posts 4 and 5.
Back in the day, it was possible to BUY a socket for this job.
Regarding cracked/broken cylinders... I've been there/done that. Pay attention to Mart (or others that caution you).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output (8).jpg (63.3 KB, 26 views)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #13
big job

all I can add is back as a teen block in a 55 gal drum with water and lit a fire not long
water started bubbling and I kept stoking the fire. My father poured something in the
boiling water I suspect lye but I didn't ask that did the trick and block came out super
clean.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
Zeke3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Back in the day, it was possible to BUY a socket for this job.
I like that socket, stamped "Not guaranteed" right on it.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv W View Post
Chuck the motor into a drum of water and let it soak for 4 to 6 weeks, then take it out the water and use a suitable piece of wood as a drift and tap the pistons up and down the bores. If they still wont come out, soak another week or two. I have stripped many motors and gearboxes this way. water caused the rust and water will penetrate and dissolve it better than any penetrating oils, believe me it works.
This is not the first time that I've heard this, but it is kind of hard to believe. Can anyone explain the chemistry and physics behind why this may work? Rust is iron oxide which is basically iron and oxigen. It is my understanding that because of their atomic properties, iron and the oxygen in water have a real affinity for each other, which is why rust is such a universal problem.

How can this work. much less not cause further rusting?

"big job" - I'd sure like to know what it was your father threw in the drum of boiling water!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #16
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
T

"big job" - I'd sure like to know what it was your father threw in the drum of boiling water!
Probably Washing Soda - Sodium Carbonate. I do the same, but I don't boil it, I use a bucket heater from tractor Supply. I think I've posted a photo here of how well it works. Cleans that old black flathead gunk right off. I use TASC, it's washing soda mixed with surfactants and detergents and etc, but you can use straight washing soda to good effect.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #17
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
Probably Washing Soda - Sodium Carbonate. I do the same, but I don't boil it, I use a bucket heater from tractor Supply. I think I've posted a photo here of how well it works. Cleans that old black flathead gunk right off. I use TASC, it's washing soda mixed with surfactants and detergents and etc, but you can use straight washing soda to good effect.
I'll bet it was washing soda I didn't think of that back then.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #18
Yoyodyne

I found the photo. I mixed some in the trash can with hot water from the water heater to try it out. Was a small heater, I ran out of hot water pretty quickly so it wasn't real hot. Dropped this pan in from my 36 and left it overnight. It cooled off pretty quickly so it wasn't hot very long. The crud on the outside was too hard to scrape with a gasket scraper, the inside was like every other old flathead pan, nasty. The next day I pulled it out like this, you can see where the water line was, I didn't wipe, I didn't rinse, this is how it came out of the mixture. I was so shocked I had to take this photo.

Next I filled a poly barrel and dropped a bucket heater in and dumped just about everything in the wasn't clean. We called it the magic barrel, it was awesome to just drop parts in and come back to get clean parts. Only negative is that cast iron comes out with a light brown rust patina because of the high PH of the sodium carbonate, but at least it's clean and ready to go into the Evaporust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc05129-1024.jpg (58.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Magic, pure magic..... So, it isn't baking soda. Where does one buy 'washing soda' ?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #20
frnkeore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
all I can add is back as a teen block in a 55 gal drum with water and lit a fire not long
water started bubbling and I kept stoking the fire. My father poured something in the
boiling water I suspect lye but I didn't ask that did the trick and block came out super
clean.
The chemical name for Lye, is Sodium Hydroxide and is the active ingredient in "Hot Tank" solution. In my mechanic days, I used a hot tank often. It takes everything off and eats aluminum. It does not hurt cast iron or steel and works, over night. The only thing you need to do, after taking it out, is wash with clear water, blow it off with air and oil it, if your not going to use it in a short time. You need to wear rubber gloves and wear safety glasses when putting block in or taking it out. Your block will look like it would when you bring it home from the machine shop.

Soda Ash or Sodium Carbonate is a cleaner and stain remover. Safer to use but, won't clean, anything like a heated, or even cold, Sodium Hydroxide solution.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote