Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2020, 12:21 AM   #1
Trelpdx

Default 32-48 Drive Shaft Roller Bearing Trust Washer

Guys,
On my 33 Pickup I damaged the front drive shaft roller bearing thrust washer when trying to remove the grease seal in the drive tube. This thrust washer is between the grease seal and roller bearing. I can find no part number for it or references to it in any of my literature. It looks original and has the Ford logo on it. Measures 1-1/4" ID x 1-13/16 OD x .08" Thick. I have checked it against the speedometer gear thrust washer on the opposite side of the roller bearing and the OD's match up but the ID's are different. Thickness looks good as well. Does anyone know where I can find one of these thrust washers and if not, any reason not to put in one that matches the speedometer thrust washer (part # B-17290)?
Thanks Much
Trelpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:20 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 32-48 Drive Shaft Roller Bearing Trust Washer

On this great drawing, compliments of Mac Van Pelt, I don't see a thrust washer between the grease seal and roller bearing. I only see the B-17290 between the roller bearing and the speedo drive gear. Even the horizontal (assembled) detail drawing at bottom shows no "THRUST" washer in that particular location. IF you DO place a washer in that location, it would likely space the speedo gear forward enough so as to tarnish the alignment of the speedo drive gear with the "DRIVEN" gear. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:34 AM   #3
Mart

Yes, I had these parts in my hands only a couple of days ago. The seal face (which is steel) limits the travel of the bearing roller cage at the rear and the washer goes between the bearing cage and the speedo gear. Bear in mind the roller bearing shouldn't be developing any thrust as such.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
Trelpdx

To me it makes sense that there would be a thrust washer rear of the bearing as it gives the bearing cage something to rotate on. The cage is constantly in motion and having it bump up against the grease seal, although steel encased, I wouldn't think that's a great design.
Trelpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelpdx View Post
To me it makes sense that there would be a thrust washer rear of the bearing as it gives the bearing cage something to rotate on. The cage is constantly in motion and having it bump up against the grease seal, although steel encased, I wouldn't think that's a great design.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...nd-32-48-A.jpg

No thrust washer between B-4245 grease retainer/lip seal and B-4645 roller bearing on any of the 32 to 48 rears that I've taken apart over the years. Click on above link to see the info on Mac Van Pelts website.
I'm thinking if a thrust washer is installed there, the stack up dimension of parts may not allow the B-17286 retainer ring to fit in its groove on the front of the driveshaft behind the splines.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote