Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #61
Mart

Default Re: Brake parts identification and puller info Q..

Havn't read every reply, but your rear brake backplates are on the right side, but the cylinders are on the wrong side. The pipe enters from the rear. It bolts up better with the pipe entering from the front, that's probably why so many were fitted the wrong way round in the past.

That's quite a clever adaption of the shoes - but it probably throws the geometry out, the pivot points are positioned differently between early/late backplates. The shoes with the round holes are the ones you want.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #62
MuskegonFlatheadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I'm not sure about this safety device that you guys are recommending. Any pics of device/installation? I've never seen/heard of loseing wheel due to broken axle, but don't doubt that it can happen. Whew...Murphy's Law where my mind is right now,eh! Thanks for you guys advice...
Thats exactlly what happened to me last fall. I know now it was the result of not torquing the hubs enough. I got the safety keepers from Speedway. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Early-...iner,1981.html I did need to grind clearance for the drums. I also needed to make longer spacers to keep the keeper from hitting the counterweights on the outside of the drum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum keeper.JPG (17.8 KB, 17 views)
MuskegonFlatheadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #63
hardtimes

Mart,
Thanks for pointing the 'pipe' connections (brake lines to the wheel cylinder). You've given me another problem to deal with , as I'm sure that you are correct with your accessment. Now are those lines long enough to rebend to proper cyl connection angle...if not yikes ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #64
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskegonFlatheadFan View Post
Thats exactlly what happened to me last fall. I know now it was the result of not torquing the hubs enough. I got the safety keepers from Speedway. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Early-...iner,1981.html I did need to grind clearance for the drums. I also needed to make longer spacers to keep the keeper from hitting the counterweights on the outside of the drum.
Thanks to YOU, Charley and Paul for pointing up this safety equipment and WHY it's necessary. I feel sure that a lot of guys here can use this info. I know that I will look into safety retainers. Hm, so 'broken axle' results from INSUFFICIENT torqueing of rear axle nut? With this '36 having axle nut torque with about 10lbs and 50lbs..I have reason for concern,eh. Think I'll name this ford....Murphy
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #65
hardtimes

Been 'out of commission' for several days, but today got rt/r wheel cylinder apart this morning and you can see what I found(pics). I'm determined to try and save USA made parts, but could be fighting a battle here! Couple questions:
Can I do TOO much honeing of a wheel cylinder, in your opinion/experience, or will wheel cylinder 'kit' take care of lot of honeing? also;
I broke a stone on my old brake hone (hm..sounds like basis for good Ford song!)....what to do/harbor freight have stones?

Hm, forgot pics....

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-23-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: ....
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #66
hardtimes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1008.jpg (83.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1009.jpg (73.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1010.jpg (84.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #67
hardtimes

Can anyone advise on whether these two 'emergency brake' parts/levers are CORRECT for the '39/'41 ford brakes that someone installed (poorly) on my newly acquired '36 coupe? The smaller part appears to have been 'modified'. As none of the brake system works presently..that's why I asked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2009.jpg (121.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2011.jpg (73.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2012.jpg (125.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #68
MuskegonFlatheadFan

yes, looks correct, here was mine. My cylinders were just like that too. Typical of water contamination. Hone them out and see what they look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear brake.jpg (41.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #69
hardtimes

Thanks for the pic for comparison! Yeah, I've honed out THREE already and one to go. I feel good about the three that I've done and I'm confident that they are gonna hold fluid as they should!
I notice that your emergency brake parts have WIRE CLIPS on the two pins. Mine are FLAT (pieces of metal) clips that are squeezed together with pliers. Your spring wire clips look like easier installation. Wonder if they will stay put ??

Look at my second pic and see where I'm pointing at a pin that is integral part of brake part. This pin has about a 1/8 " wear spot indentation. Should this be brazed/welded and filed round ....or just leave as is?

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-24-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: ....
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #70
hardtimes

Backing plates nuts('39/'41) were hand tight and attached without cotter pins and no lock washers under back plate nuts. Also THREE different size back plate nuts were used to fasten them. From the picture of different nuts shown ...can you tell me which one is correct?

Also , rear axle nut has buggered threads. Is there a source for NEW, as I can not locate new. Lastly, of the 2 rear axle washers shown ...is either one correct (one on left is thick (about 3/16" or better, while other thin washer is about 2/16")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2013.jpg (35.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #71
MuskegonFlatheadFan

Macs has the axle nuts here: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0R3CHL1129315/
I would use the thicker washer with the axle nuts. I'm not sure what nut is correct for the backing plates, but Macs has them too.
http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0HQRPG1000005/
Also, i would'nt worry about the wear on the e-brake actuator pin. As for the retainer clips, I'm not sure what would be correct. I would guess the wire clips are newer repos. They have worked fine.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #72
hardtimes

Thanks much for all that good advice/ info! A bud here also has directed me to C&G in Escondido, CA. As we discussed parts, etc...I remembered asking C&G for a catalogue on a thread here short time back! I'm anxious to get that catalogue, as it will most likely clear up parts that I need. I'll contact Macs too !
BTW- During my research, I've come across several bits of info that says that: '28 thru '48...wheel bearings and axle nuts/washers are SAME SAME. Then I come across info contridicting that ?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #73
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Thanks much for all that good advice/ info! A bud here also has directed me to C&G in Escondido, CA. As we discussed parts, etc...I remembered asking C&G for a catalogue on a thread here short time back! I'm anxious to get that catalogue, as it will most likely clear up parts that I need. I'll contact Macs too !
BTW- During my research, I've come across several bits of info that says that: '28 thru '48...wheel bearings and axle nuts/washers are SAME SAME. Then I come across info contridicting that ?
The diameter of the rear wheel bearing was reduced in about 1936. Is this what you are referring to?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #74
hardtimes

Hey Charlie,
Well, I should have clarified that I was seeking replacement of damaged FRONT wheel bearings/race, when I found info saying '28/'48 front whl bearings are same and contradicting info.
So, Charlie ...if I find that my rear outer wheel bearings are bad...are you telling me that only '36 rear whl brngs will fit ? If so, that is good information and will narrow my research. THANKS!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #75
hardtimes

Ok, so Charlie did good, by getting me thinking and now my head hurts!
I took the attached pictures , just now, of the rear end in this '36. Occurs to me that ...if it doesn't have a '36 rear end in it, and I order parts (like outer wheel bearings that are special to '36) , I've caused myself more problems,eh!
I've pictured right and left rear axle ends. Also, two pics of center section...in case that helps identify possible year of unit.
NOTE: Take a look at the 'trailing arms' where they connect to axle...looks to be 'homemade' welds (clue?). There are parts numbers on BOTH trailing arms..is that right for stock?? Right side #: 4 * 68-4045 / Left side#: * 4 68-4046
BTW- if you need some other info from rearend, in order to help ID it...let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2015.jpg (54.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2017.jpg (72.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2020.jpg (73.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2027.jpg (76.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2028.jpg (74.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2021.jpg (70.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #76
V8COOPMAN

APPEARS to be remnants of the original-type arms "glued-onto" possibly later rear bells, at the least. '36 wishbones/spring hangers are not configured nor attached like what you have pictured. You might need to have a serious conversation with the seller, not withstanding the good that might do at this point. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #77
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Ok, so Charlie did good, by getting me thinking and now my head hurts!
I took the attached pictures , just now, of the rear end in this '36. Occurs to me that ...if it doesn't have a '36 rear end in it, and I order parts (like outer wheel bearings that are special to '36) , I've caused myself more problems,eh!
I've pictured right and left rear axle ends. Also, two pics of center section...in case that helps identify possible year of unit.
NOTE: Take a look at the 'trailing arms' where they connect to axle...looks to be 'homemade' welds (clue?). There are parts numbers on BOTH trailing arms..is that right for stock?? Right side #: 4 * 68-4045 / Left side#: * 4 68-4046
BTW- if you need some other info from rearend, in order to help ID it...let me know.
I just realized (I must have been sleeping) that you are running later drums/hubs and not the '36 drums and hubs. All of the hydraulic drums/hubs used the smaller bearing. The diameter of the surface of the axle is the same '28-'48.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #78
Charlie Stephens

Don't order the parts like bearings until you inspect yours, the original ones lasted forever and most of the current replacements are usually low quality.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #79
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Don't order the parts like bearings until you inspect yours, the original ones lasted forever and most of the current replacements are usually low quality.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie,
Thanks! So, I guess that of all the experts of original ford equipment/restorers on this early V8 site, no one can look at these posted pictures and identify year of this rearend
Q: Are there stampings around the rear center section somewhere that can help with ID?
BTW- I got in touch with Richard L , who was kind enough to view pics posted here when time allows. He also has catalogue/parts...so mabe a winner here,eh ?
NOTE: Got the last backplate/drum off yesterday. Found a bolt..size of little finger...lying down between drum/shoe AND same mickey mouse setup as pictured earlier for lower shoe adjusters...and ALL backplate bolts finger tight with no cotters,etc This driver just won't drive
Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #80
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Charlie,
Thanks! So, I guess that of all the experts of original ford equipment/restorers on this early V8 site, no one can look at these posted pictures and identify year of this rearend
Q: Are there stampings around the rear center section somewhere that can help with ID?
BTW- I got in touch with Richard L , who was kind enough to view pics posted here when time allows. He also has catalogue/parts...so mabe a winner here,eh ?
NOTE: Got the last backplate/drum off yesterday. Found a bolt..size of little finger...lying down between drum/shoe AND same mickey mouse setup as pictured earlier for lower shoe adjusters...and ALL backplate bolts finger tight with no cotters,etc This driver just won't drive
You might start a new thread called "identifiy year of rear end". Put plenty of pictures and dimensions (length of bell housings, width center section, has driveshaft been shortened etc). Maybe try a post on earlyfordv8.org. Have you tried calling the previous owner?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.