Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Olds in a 1939 Ford Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
I stand corrected. Only one V8 fit better than a flathead or an Olds in an old Ford. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack, you might want to check with 51 Merc-CT and find out how you could make a flash of light to represent combustion at top of the compression stroke for each cylinder shown on your Avatar engine. That might make the coolest Avatar here on Fordbarn

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #22
Ol' Ron

One of the reasons we installed an Olds in our old Fords was to win at the Saturday night drags in Seaside park in Bridgeport Ct. Holma's (It was still there up untill a few years ago) Then go down too waldamer Ave and have at it. It didn't take long to find the weak parts in the car. This is the reason I don't know very much about the old transmission and Banjo rears. After fixing a few we had to find something stronger. ONe fix for the trans was to mill of a few thous from the rear of the box to remove all the backlash. We'd pick up an old box from a junk yard take it apart and Measure the distance between th snap rings . Add.006 and make the case that long. Surprised at how long the trans lasteed after "Slam" shifting the Olds at 5K into second.After a while the trans became more expensive (25$ up from 10) and we discovered that the Caddy box would fit the Olds standard Bell housing. That;s right in 49 a standard trans was available int he Olds. Then we had to figgerout how to install a different rear axle. If it wasn't for the" How to" articles in Hot rod , Car craft and Honk mags. we'd be in deeo dodo. There were no aftermarket "Stuff" like there is today. Very few guys had much money so if they wanted to go racing they had to be resurfull, and figger it out . WE were always looking at the others guys car so we could copy what they did. The Hot Rod Industry is an evolution of all that.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ron, it would be interesting if someone put together a history of Hot Rodding history in the 50s and early 60s from the prospective of the "really" folks. Most of what I see/read is the California version of the period and even then mostly the high dollar end of things. Growing up in the Great Plains area it was a lot different than the high dollar California version most often recorded. The cars looked different and the approach to building them was different. Maybe few care about this period, but it is one I have always been interested in. I enjoy attempting to reconstruct some of the period technology, like using F1/F100 parts or later axles in the banjo rear end to beef it up.

Last edited by JSeery; 01-31-2019 at 11:00 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #24
skidmarks

50 olds stick was the choice (like a lasalle) 49 didnt use this trans behind a V8 (hydro only). 6 cyl olds stick was was a different transmission
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #25
Ol' Ron

What you must understand is the fact that a 303 CI engine was HUGE in comparison to anything we had back them. 8:1 CR was also at the top of the list and a stock 49/51 olds had torque that ran well over 4000 RPm, even with a 2 bl carb. I had built a 284 ci flathead for a friend 400jr and 3 duces. These Olds powered cars could blow the doors off it. The fatheads could beet then off the line, but halfway down the strip, they flew by like you were stand ing still. Only when the SBC came out, did the Olds lopoe favorthem. But the flathead was dead them, we all went are seperat ways entering the world of Musel cars. a SBC in a Model A roadster, the fastest thing on the strip. Remember drag racing was King back then, somebody went 200 mph in the quarter and broke the 8 sec time. Hard to believe, some people didn't.
This typing is getting harder every day, sorry.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
But the memories are great Ron.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #27
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
50 olds stick was the choice (like a lasalle) 49 didnt use this trans behind a V8 (hydro only). 6 cyl olds stick was was a different transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
What you must understand is the fact that a 303 CI engine was HUGE in comparison to anything we had back them. 8:1 CR was also at the top of the list and a stock 49/51 olds had torque that ran well over 4000 RPm, even with a 2 bl carb. I had built a 284 ci flathead for a friend 400jr and 3 duces. These Olds powered cars could blow the doors off it. The fatheads could beet then off the line, but halfway down the strip, they flew by like you were stand ing still. Only when the SBC came out, did the Olds lopoe favorthem. But the flathead was dead them, we all went are seperat ways entering the world of Musel cars. a SBC in a Model A roadster, the fastest thing on the strip. Remember drag racing was King back then, somebody went 200 mph in the quarter and broke the 8 sec time. Hard to believe, some people didn't.

No one ever thought to use a Lincoln OHV V8? Those could be had with sturdy 3spd O/D’s from the factory.

Roy Brechler built a 368 for Engine Masters with self ported heads, good cam and compression and a Holly 4V that made over 500 horsepower.

Show me a sbc or Olds that can make more with original 1950’s block and head casting and a single 4V on gasoline.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #28
Henry Floored

Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #29
Henry Floored

Notice that the Lincoln is actually shorter than a Ford Y-block. The oil pan on this motor is the truck one that is conveniently scooped out to clear the early Ford cross member AND the starter is on the passenger side of the engine from the factory.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #30
DavidG

For the shade tree mechanic, the oil pan was a big deterrent.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #31
skidmarks

Gee , I figured you would come along sooner then later to ruin another thread with your same rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
No one ever thought to use a Lincoln OHV V8? Those could be had with sturdy 3spd O/D’s from the factory.

Roy Brechler built a 368 for Engine Masters with self ported heads, good cam and compression and a Holly 4V that made over 500 horsepower.

Show me a sbc or Olds that can make more with original 1950’s block and head casting and a single 4V on gasoline.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #32
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Gee , I figured you would come along sooner then later to ruin another thread with your same rant.
I ruined the thread? Not my intention. I was born in ‘61. I pretty much missed the hot rod movement. I even missed the muscle cars that replaced them.

I’m just a Ford guy that wasn’t there but wonders why hot rodders stayed away from Ford power in droves.

I have a ‘54 Lincoln/truck 317 with that exact oil pan on it. I measured the Lincoln next to a Thunderbird 292 that I built. The 317 was 1 1/2” shorter.

The guys up there ^^^ are talking about how they had to scrounge around for a manual transmission, bell housing, flywheel etc. for Oldsmobiles. My 317 came with all that.

In the 50’s you could even buy these things over the counter at your friendly Ford dealer.

Lincoln’s came with 3 speed overdrives. How many you want? I got two.

Sorry I ruined your fun.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #33
Ol' Ron

All this is true, but came long after the 50's. IT took several years before the swaps becam practical and economical. WE were using the 304 and 324 Olds engines in the mid 50's and the SBC started pretty quick. In 1956 there was a 55 chevy on the track in Jefferson WI. Most were Flatheads but the #3 was a 270 GMC and that one was hard to beat. I never worked on many flatheads during the 50's and early 60's Untill I got the job as engine man on the Danbury. I got that kob through Bill Barth h
who ran a speed shop im BPt. I think most towns in America had some guys like me and those I ran with. Had a family so I had to work on otrers cars so I had spme cash for mY 392 Hemi. That;s another story.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 PM   #34
Tinker

Some of the early circle track stuff went to straight 6s. Very underestimated. Stovebolts are a bullet proof motor.

Same with the ford 6 223. But it never had a big following, especially with after market stuff.

A 2 engine ford 6 rail car and a early hemi car burn out. brandon nostalgia drags, good time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZq5d_hTxA

Think the hemi took the hole shot.

Always like to hear your input Ron. Fun stuff.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-01-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #35
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
For the shade tree mechanic, the oil pan was a big deterrent.
Yes I realize that but the flipping of the starter from driver’s side to passenger side on various gm engines must have been a breeze.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #36
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It wasn't much of a branding thing in the early 50s, it was what was the easiest way to get the most hp. You can bet that if a different engine was as easy to fit and get the performance out of it would have been popular. After the introduction of the small block Chevy and a few years of experience with it, it quickly did become a brand locality issue! The small block became the "flathead" of the Hot Rodders of the late 50s and the 60s.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #37
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
It wasn't much of a branding thing in the early 50s, it was what was the easiest way to get the most hp. You can bet that if a different engine was as easy to fit and get the performance out of it would have been popular. After the introduction of the small block Chevy and a few years of experience with it, it quickly did become a brand locality issue! The small block became the "flathead" of the Hot Rodders of the late 50s and the 60s.
Very true.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #38
tubman

I remember in 1961, I had a friend who was really into SBC's. Up to that time they had been hard to find in junkyards, because they were still in fairly new cars. Up to that time, he had been paying around $400 for "take out" engines. Then, prices dropped precipitously, to $100 for a guaranteed good runner to $50 for one in unknown condition laying on it's side next to the "engine pile".

Last edited by tubman; 02-01-2019 at 11:33 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #39
51504bat

This typing is getting harder every day, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Understood but don't apologize. I learn a lot from your posts regardless of any typing issues and I'm betting that others do as well.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #40
Charlie ny
BANNED

I'm diggin' this thread almost filling two pages. It's where we were back in the day,
kind of reverse nostalgia to where we 'live' now. Seems like we all have a little HAMB in us , cool.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote