Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #61
revkev6

Default Re: Moving on from the cracked block to an undocumented rebuild

you mentioned a couple times about standard gasket thickness is .051 from best. the number I am seeing them list is .062?? I have copper

finish will be a conversation I have with them. if I spend that kind of money on a gasket it better be good and last! lol

my piston dome is a smaller radius than my heads by a small amount. not enough that I'm going try getting the heads cut to match. my pistons also have about a .5" flat spot in the middle.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #62
Bored&Stroked

The number of .052 is one that I've measured from actual copper head-gaskets that I've taken out (I have one I hang on the wall). The .051 is specific to Cometic. The key is to talk to the suppliers and ask them what the compressed thickness is - they will undoubtedly vary by type, composition and manufacturer. I do like the products from Best - so I see no issue going with them on your setup and associated calculations.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #63
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The number of .052 is one that I've measured from actual copper head-gaskets that I've taken out (I have one I hang on the wall). The .051 is specific to Cometic. The key is to talk to the suppliers and ask them what the compressed thickness is - they will undoubtedly vary by type, composition and manufacturer. I do like the products from Best - so I see no issue going with them on your setup and associated calculations.
just to be 100% clear, your Best copper gasket was .052 compressed?

.035 on drivers side and .045 on passenger's side with no gasket.

basically have to skim about .047 and .057 off the heads which will give me the correct squish at the top of the piston but still a larger gap at the edges.

using the thinner gasket would give me a much better overall squish. given the price difference and the fact that this is NOT a max performance build I think I will stick with the skim cut.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #64
revkev6

Out in the garage tonight cleaning up some and basically killing time waiting on my parts to come in. Had the pup out with me. This is Hudson. Has a 9.5 month old golden retriever. I had to put my 9 year old golden Nash down last week. Was nice to have the company!

Old 11-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #65
revkev6

Got my 1007b from pete today. Haven't had time to look too close but no obvious shipping damage. Next step is to finalize clearances for the piston and valves. Pistons I'm aiming for .040 what is the min clearance for valves? I've got .365 of lift and .4325 of space in the pocket of the head. So... .050-.060 for gasket minus what I need to trim...
Old 11-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #66
revkev6

Rest of my springs and shims came in yesterday so today was supposed to be valve train day... until I preset cleaned and re installed the lifters that were in the motor when I bought it. The lifters are tight in the rear two cylinders. I noticed some were tight coming out but chocked that up to a motor that sat for years unfired. Well I measured the lifter OD Al and compared it to another used set I had laying around. Old set dropped right in all four tight lifter bores. My calipers are ok but not great for measuring tenths.. my best guess is the used lifters are 5 tenths or so smaller than the new ones. Used lifters are just over .998 and the "new" ones are just under .999. Old ones are hollow. The fresh ones are solids.

What to do? I can take my pick of the used hollows but I don't want to mix and match and have to try to sand a fresh surface in them. They were only run for 150 miles before the motor lost a valve. I bought them just in case I need a spare at some point.

Sucks that the guy who assembled this motor initially put them in and didn't care. They are way to tight to run
Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #67
revkev6

False alarm. Ended up polishing the lifter bore with some scotchbrite and everything went right together.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #68
Bored&Stroked

Hey - at least you were paying attention! So many folks throw these engines together and wonder why they have drama afterwards. Great work - you're doing all the right things.

B&S
Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #69
revkev6

ok... it's been a long winter so far with little to show!! I dropped my heads off with a co-worker to have him mill them to spec. his mother got sick and recently passed... I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't want to bug him.. I slowly picked away at things like gaskets and trying to make sure things wouldn't leak. My uncle had a quiet week in his shop so I talked to him about getting the motor in to get painted. he went into his garage and found the original can of paint from 27 years ago and it was still good. gotta love the old PPG single stage. talked to my co-worker and he had the heads in hand!! so tonight I will find out if my measurements were good and I can start final assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74093.jpg (40.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #70
revkev6

figured I would post up a follow up to this process! I got her running last weekend. purred like a kitten. now I am finishing up a few things to get the car back drivable. got my 8 year old to help me bleed the brakes last night. tried to swap out a faulty temp gauge with one my buddy had and it also was not working. have power, ground and the sending unit works... always something. it's run for 25 years with only one temp gauge...

https://youtu.be/9ETCsKAGxBo
Old 04-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #71
tubman

Looks good; sounds good; runs good. That's a trifecta to strive for. Congratulations.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #72
corvette8n

Watched the video, sounds great, I like the engine color. Building an AV8 coupe is one of the things on my bucket list.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #73
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Thanks for the follow-up!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #74
Bored&Stroked

Great Job! You've taken time, learned a lot along the way, paid attention to all the details and have a nicely done engine as a result. It is nice to see that you identified issues along the way, decided to address each of them and didn't just throw it together in a hurry. You'll be very glad that you went about it this way! How do you like the 1007B from Pete? He does nice work now doesn't he!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #75
Ol' Ron

The 77B is a very mild cam and not much different than the EAB, the Max#! would be a better choice. I run ab EAB cam in my 280 oi engine in my truch. I can climb most hills in Vermont in OD. Truck goes faster than I want to go. and the mileage ain't t bad either. The L-100 in a stock engine would kill too much torque in the low range. Bigger displacement and more compression is needed to make for this. However in a light car with the right gearing , you can get away with it. But it sounds great.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote