Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
duffer

Default Thinking of selling my car

I love my car but would like a car with more seats. What would be a reasonable selling price for mine . Or does anyone want to do some kind of trade for a larger car? I'm in Michigan. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 1.jpg (61.5 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg car 2.jpg (63.9 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg car 3.jpg (32.7 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg car 4.jpg (55.1 KB, 424 views)
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
luckyal

Default Re: Thinking of selling my car

Are you near Farmington Hills ?
Al Luckins
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
lance leblanc

Your pictures tell a story of a beautiful car.
I bet the car has been well care for. And worth every penny that someone will pay.
I am bias of course but I like a live auction for these lovely ladies.
I would offer to sell it for you off site with a buy back option to protect you but I would first refer you to another auction company closer to your location.
But still I think live auctions can not be beat. (NOT INTERNET, unless it coincides with a live sale)

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards

Last edited by lance leblanc; 03-20-2013 at 04:05 PM.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
ronn

A very nice looking car. I would think a trade among the group here should be able to be worked out....
If you are going to a sedan, you should get a few dollars back your way.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Franchise_24

Nice looking Coupe. I was in the same boat as you with not enough room for the whole family, so I bought a fordor sedan. Try to keep both if you can, I couldn't part with the Coupe. My son will need something to drive when he gets old enough :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Dusty

Sweet car, you can always tell how nice the vehicle is by the condition of the engine bay and your looks like its show room new I would think $20000.00 to $25000.00 easy.

6 more working days until retirement and I'm half way through number 6 as I wright this.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
luckyal

Duffer I don't honestly know where these Barners get their prices from but they are not from the evaluation books I have.
First of all let me be clear that I am not interested in buying your car.
Old Cars report Price Guide prints the following for a standard coupe.
Museum quality, never driven ( only trailored ) since complete professional restoration. Would be 95 plus show car and win top honours in National compeition. Always stored in climate controlled environment. $ 17,000 dollars. That is category 6 of 6. A 5 of 6 next category down is about $ 13,000 dollars. Pllease get a professional evaluation. There is a Model A club in the Detroit area that can help you in this regard. And if you can sell it out of the Detroit area better still as it is a very econimically depressed area !
Al
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
david801

Very beautiful car! What are the colors?
david801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
Duffer I don't honestly know where these Barners get their prices from but they are not from the evaluation books I have.
First of all let me be clear that I am not interested in buying your car.
Old Cars report Price Guide prints the following for a standard coupe.
Museum quality, never driven ( only trailored ) since complete professional restoration. Would be 95 plus show car and win top honours in National compeition. Always stored in climate controlled environment. $ 17,000 dollars. That is category 6 of 6. A 5 of 6 next category down is about $ 13,000 dollars. Pllease get a professional evaluation. There is a Model A club in the Detroit area that can help you in this regard. And if you can sell it out of the Detroit area better still as it is a very econimically depressed area !
Al
Yea and I have seen rather nasty looking cars go for $12000+ on Ebay and other online sites. I think you can take the the evaluation books and toss them...not a real world value in MHO. On the other hand your right about selling in Detriot

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
31 Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Yea and I have seen rather nasty looking cars go for $12000+ on Ebay and other online sites. I think you can take the the evaluation books and toss them...not a real world value in MHO. On the other hand your right about selling in Detriot

dusty

I totally agree. That car is beautiful and could fetch $25K from a first time buyer, i.e. not an in-depth Model A insider. Just look at what sold at Barrett-Jackson this year for far more, with no authenticity at all - there was a lime green Model A that sold for nearly $30K!
31 Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
spike

looks like a 20 to 22 thou car to me. nice restro and clean. hope it runs as good as it looks.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
luckyal

Latest listing on MAFCA website, cars for sale, 1930 Model A Roadster mint condition for 17,000 dollars. And you have to admit a roadster sells for more than a standard coupe ! It is easy to say it is worth xxx dollars but a lot harder to write the cheque !
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
29ModelA

It is all in the buyer, I know of a car like mine - survivor unrestored that sold for 12k but the buyer really wanted that patina, I also have watched real sale prices of restored cars, most seem to be around 12-15k.

The Barrett Jackson auctions are not a good gauge of real world sales value at all. I have seen horribly misrepresented Willys Jeeps sell there for 25-30k and they were a 10k vehicle at most. Barrett Jackson is a impulse car sales place for people with more money than they have time. They see stuff and say "ooo thats neat" and throw up their card.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
eagle

You see similar cars for sale in that $20K range, and SOME do sell. However, most stay for sale. MAFCA measures the ACTUAL sale price, not the asking price. I would say trade it with someone in the Model A community, you'll get your best deal. Somewhere, someone has a really nice Tudor or Fordor and wants a Coupe. Find him/her and you'll both be happy. My Fordor is priced by MAFCA at about $10K. No, I wouldn't sell her for that but if I WAS selling, that is what I could expect.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
lance leblanc

You may be right about B.J. auctions, I have seen bidders there who buy a car just so they could brag about how much he paid. "When I brag, its because I feel like a bought it cheap" They want everyone to know, they can afford to buy what ever they want.
But there are hundreds of real world auctions held every year and in every region of the country.
The Auctions that I work generally are not car auctions but we do add a few collector cars to every sale because we feel it adds alittle excitment to the sale and the buyers like it. Our buyers are contractors and builders mostly, some do have deep pockets but not all of them. But what we find many of the cars that are rare or at least believed to be. The uninformed bidder will bidder higher than someone who really knows a cars worth. I dont think it makes me a bad person to ask a bidder to bid one more time again and again, even if I think the car is not a good buy. Its my job "I work for the seller plain and simple"

Duffer;
This coupe is one that we purchased at a Wisconson Auction a few months ago when the original bidder refused to pay. We bought it as a courtesy to the auctioneer for the original bid of $10,500. (+10%)Obviously this car is not in the same condition as yours but it does help set the market. It is a very solid rust free car from a late 80's restoration and showed much nicer the day of the sale than when these pics where taken today, it has'nt moved since it was delieved almost 3 months ago
I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7732.jpg (62.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7733.jpg (60.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7734.jpg (72.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7735.jpg (66.2 KB, 128 views)

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
luckyal

I rest my case !
Al
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Barney

Oh, great car. I like the paint. Really nice. I think 20000 Bucks is OK. When would in my area I could not resist.
Keep it yet. I had pain when I wanted to sell this car.
A really nice car.
Good luck with the sale.
Greetings from Switzerland
Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance leblanc View Post
You may be right about B.J. auctions, I have seen bidders there who buy a car just so they could brag about how much he paid. "When I brag, its because I feel like a bought it cheap" They want everyone to know, they can afford to buy what ever they want.
But there are hundreds of real world auctions held every year and in every region of the country.
The Auctions that I work generally are not car auctions but we do add a few collector cars to every sale because we feel it adds alittle excitment to the sale and the buyers like it. Our buyers are contractors and builders mostly, some do have deep pockets but not all of them. But what we find many of the cars that are rare or at least believed to be. The uninformed bidder will bidder higher than someone who really knows a cars worth. I dont think it makes me a bad person to ask a bidder to bid one more time again and again, even if I think the car is not a good buy. Its my job "I work for the seller plain and simple"

Duffer;
This coupe is one that we purchased at a Wisconson Auction a few months ago when the original bidder refused to pay. We bought it as a courtesy to the auctioneer for the original bid of $10,500. (+10%)Obviously this car is not in the same condition as yours but it does help set the market. It is a very solid rust free car from a late 80's restoration and showed much nicer the day of the sale than when these pics where taken today, it has'nt moved since it was delieved almost 3 months ago
I hope this helps.
...with all due respect this thing is no comparison to the coupe in original post and in fact you might have paid on the high side.
Trashed looking engine, wrong components everywhere, cracked steering wheel, hidious incorrect colours, I could go on... but bottom line it would take WELL over $10,000 to put these cars in the same ballpark.
That being said it's impossible to rate the first coupe with any accuracy without at least a brief inspection and test drive... it looks sweet, but would have to be a prestine coupe capable of pulling high points in blue ribbon to fetch over 20G.
I'm no high authority on these things...just personal observation from pictures whichtruly isn't enough info.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Big John

very nice coupe,,,,, in the $20,000 range...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
P.S.

You just bought the car on August 20th., less than 7 months ago according to one of your first posts. You used to be so enthusiastic about it! What happened?

Yes, having a back seat under the same roof as the front seats is really nice. Yet coupes seem to fetch more money and be more popular than Tudors or Fordors.

Value seems to be all over the place, and has actually settled a little from when I was in the market to buy a Model A. However, lots of things will affect the value, especially how well it runs and if there is any rust on it. I remember some of your first posts were about whether anyone used one of the "car tomb" plastic bag setups. You mentioned that your wife goes in and out of the garage frequently with the door open and salt/snow enters, etc. How much salt has your car been exposed to since you've had it? Can't be much I wouldn't think.

As a somewhat newbie myself, please let me share this bit of advice- If your car really runs well and is in excellent condition, KEEP IT! So many Model As out there that look fantastic but are mechanically deficient. And, a lot of Model A owners don't think it's a big deal to have to rebuild a motor constantly, or have "surface rust". That's just screwy to us non-car guys.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote