Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
tomwhi

Smile rebuilt shocks

are rebuilt shocks worth the money? any body know where you can find a set? hit a pot hole couple of days ago and decided i need them!
tomwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Barney

Default Re: rebuilt shocks

I recommend rebuilt originals. Parts are available from various vendors.
Otherwise, you can also buy new. But the shocks that are not adjustable I do not like that. (A-18016-B)
Here is a link:
http://www.antiqueshockabsorbers.com/

Greetings Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Mark W.

Back in January I'd asked here about Shock absorbers as the ones on my "barn-find" car were later replacements which had interfered with the brake rods bending all of them pretty bad. I was referred to Robert Paul (his phone #719-478-5102) for getting a rebuilt set by two or three of the people posting here and so I called to see if he could help - His price for a set, even not having cores, was good and I ordered a set of rebuilt shocks.

Rob warned me there was a winter time backlog of work in his shop and I would be "in-line" for the work to be completed. They took a while to get delivered but they came last night and look fantastic. I'm planning on installing them this weekend and will be able to comment more next week, but I'm confidant that they will work as advertised.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
gwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
Back in January I'd asked here about Shock absorbers as the ones on my "barn-find" car were later replacements which had interfered with the brake rods bending all of them pretty bad. I was referred to Robert Paul (his phone #719-478-5102) for getting a rebuilt set by two or three of the people posting here and so I called to see if he could help - His price for a set, even not having cores, was good and I ordered a set of rebuilt shocks.

Rob warned me there was a winter time backlog of work in his shop and I would be "in-line" for the work to be completed. They took a while to get delivered but they came last night and look fantastic. I'm planning on installing them this weekend and will be able to comment more next week, but I'm confidant that they will work as advertised.
X2 for Mr. Paul...spoke with him this morning about getting some shocks rebuilt, he will even swap covers to ensure they match your production date.
Can't wait to get mine done!
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
johnsor

Many original shocks are too far gone for rebuilding, but many can be rebuilt to work fine if they are not froze up. There are a number of good shock rebuilders out there. I believe Bill Stipe is making a real good new, original looking shock also.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
MichaelSchwarzer

Bought mine at http://www.applehydraulics.com/, but the car is not jet running, so I have no experience, but they seem to be fine.

Michael
MichaelSchwarzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Ray64

John Holland has rebuilt one .I bought a set from him and they are really good.#yrs and no leaks.He is in the Cleveland Ohio area if it makes a difference. Ph.# is 330 483 3896
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Bob Bidonde

I purchased a set of rebuilt original shocks outright from Robert Paul of Yoder, Colorado. They are excellent, and the price made this buy a very good value. See his ad in the Model A News classified section.