Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Dick So. Cal.

Question Street Legal Fine Point Cars

An interesting discussion last weekend on fine point Model A's and the required tour at a judged meet.
The question is: Do fine point cars have to be properly licensed and insured for street use to complete the manditory tour in fine point at a National Meet?
One of the requirements is to drive them a small distance, 6 miles or so, on the city streets. If they are not properly licensed, it is illegal to drive them. The reason for the discussion was the liability question. If we make a driver break the law and something happens, who has the liability.
I am aware that the manditory tour is up to the head judge, but that doesn't answer the question.
We didn't have a firm answer. What say you?

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: Street Legal Fine Point Cars

"A" No Brainer!! Just common sense on behalf on the owner.. And with Insurance !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
ford1

Whats the fuss, most states require you to have your vechicle licensed and insured before you can drive them on the street, its your money and freedom you will lose if you hurt some one while driving on a public street, so if you want to join in license and insure the damn thing, Haggerty will insure if for full value for just a few hundred dollars a year, you may have a perfect car but that doesnt give you special treatment, your here just like the rest of us

Last edited by ford1; 06-13-2011 at 08:05 PM.
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick So. Cal. View Post
The question is: Do fine point cars have to be properly licensed and insured for street use to complete the manditory tour in fine point at a National Meet?

Dick
I think some folks just like to waste time on hypotheticals. Can you really imagine someone not insuring their "show" car? Even so, you aren't making anyone do anything!

The owner/operator is always responsible.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
ford1

Marco, i have never been to any run, tour or even a parade that you could particapate in with out showing proof of insurance, and you cant get insurance with out registration,, i think half of the people that build high points cars have had there pablum or medamucil spiked when they get up
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
dean from bozeman

'... i think half of the people that build high points cars have had there pablum or medamucil spiked when they get up'.

Ford1 was this an attempt at humor or an attempt at being insulting?

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

Dean,

Sounds to me like he is being insulting !!! Any one who drives an A or any other kind of car realizes he is responsible for insurance coverage. Does he really think that any one who shows up with an A at a meet whether or not it is being judged in fine point, modified or touring or just showing up for the meet, is not going to have it registered, licensed and covered with insurance ?

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
ford1

LOL the guys who build these cars for there driving pleasure know what i meant , they dont obsess over the color of the fly squat on the front bumper bolt as it came from the ford factory, they just build beautiful cars to drive and enjoy, and no i didnt mean it as insulting, just an observation of many car shows and the people who build them,
Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
quickchange

We recently held our national meet in nz & all vehicles had to be road legal plus any entered in any form of judging, compition, had to complete one leg of tour minimum. Shortest leg was around 80 miles, no trailer queens here, all entrants should be steet legal,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Roadster62

They have $100,000.00+ in the rebuild and they can't pop for registration and insurance, be serious!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow, it is almost like you can just feel the "tension" radiating off of the keyboard! How sad!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
2manycars

I believe that for national and regional shows, the entrant must sign a waver, and certify that the car is insured and registered for legal road use. I suppose that in some states that require seat belts or turn signals, it might be a problem. For instance, in CT, the car is not required to have any equipment that it did not have at the time it was made, EXCEPT it must have a rear reflector, which the model A did not have. I think that law was enacted in the mid 30's, and probably still stands. I have reflectors on my cars, but they are not show cars.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote